Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Elk

Brotherhood

Another groups of vets taking advantage of the excellent DAV tag prices. Here is what we are looking at, throw some monkey wrenches in. Flying into Salt Lake City (cheapest tickets). Looking hard at unit 33, 36, and 36B in that order of precedence. Doing the any weapon season, OTC tags. We will have elk, deer and bear tags. Unlikely to see a bear in mid to late October but its a cheap tag.

I have been seeing a lot of other threads about wolves in 36 and their impact on the elk so somewhat shying away from 36 but there is so much public land and the success rate isn't horrible using the 2017 numbers. Looking for a little advice there.

33 looks like our target although still in the Sawtooth zone with the wolves.

Also see that the B tags for non res for the Sawtooth go on sale in May.

I guess the biggest questions I have is how big of an impact are the wolves in the sawtooth and should we look elsewhere in the state?

Thanks ahead of time.

Very unlikely you'll get a Sawtooth tag. Elk numbers in each of those areas are not at basement levels of eight years ago but you'll work very hard to find elk. If they're at objective for bulls, it's barely. Low trophy quality in both. Pretty good but not overwhelming wolf numbers in each of the units mentioned. Fish and game isn't tracking it as closely anymore but you can look at old maps on the Fish and Game website. I'd recommend looking elsewhere. I don't hunt those areas BTW but I have hiked in them and have buddies that do.

Yeah, I noticed that they were below management wanted levels for elk in those areas. And likely a sell out in May in minutes of the tags. Any suggestions for elsewhere?

What kind of hunt are you looking for in regards to access/terrain? I think the Sawtooth area is a bit overrated from a hunting standpoint but it is a cool area.

The chances of being able to buy a sawtooth tag is very slim unless you are in ID that morning waiting in line 30min before the store opens. I know two people who tried that and only one was first in line, and only one was able to buy the tag before the quota was hit.

I looked at 36b previously and after scouting it ended up going elsewhere, I did find elk and I did find bulls just not many of either. Beautiful country though.

I hunt the sawtooths every year, either with a tag myself or with a buddy in our group. Depending on who can get their hands on a tag.

The zone has improved quite a bit over the past 5 years. Still below objective I think, but there are good pockets throughout the zone. As a NR though, I just wouldn’t plan on being able to get a tag and gambling your fall on that. It will sell out in less than 4 minutes.

I would research the McCall, Weiser River and Salmon zones. Much easier to get tags. The hunt quality will reflect that, however, there are still decent huntable numbers of elk in all 3 zones. Public land as far as the eye can see, plenty of elk. I wouldn’t worry about wolves.

What kind of hunt are you looking for in regards to access/terrain? I think the Sawtooth area is a bit overrated from a hunting standpoint but it is a cool area.

Access/terrain isn't an issue, we are in decent shape still, maybe move slower but can certainly take our time to get away from the masses. It will be our first time out to Idaho so realistically if we see elk that would be a win for me, plus we will have the other tags, deer/bear. We are there for the meat, not really the horns.

I hunt the sawtooths every year, either with a tag myself or with a buddy in our group. Depending on who can get their hands on a tag.

The zone has improved quite a bit over the past 5 years. Still below objective I think, but there are good pockets throughout the zone. As a NR though, I just wouldn’t plan on being able to get a tag and gambling your fall on that. It will sell out in less than 4 minutes.

I would research the McCall, Weiser River and Salmon zones. Much easier to get tags. The hunt quality will reflect that, however, there are still decent huntable numbers of elk in all 3 zones. Public land as far as the eye can see, plenty of elk. I wouldn’t worry about wolves.

You read my mind, Sawtooth is a scratch. Looking at the three zones you suggested.

If you want a meat hunt, look for places with the most elk. I'd also look at the Eastern Idaho zones. The terrain is a little less rugged also. I think they might have slightly higher densities than the other zones mentioned. The Fish and Game site and biologists can help.

After more research it appears that the Panhandle B tag might be the way we go. It seems from last years regs that was the only type B antlerless option albeit only 3 days and you have to be within a mile of private land. A little over 6000 B tags left as well in the other zones category. If I am off base let me know. The panhandle increase the logistics and cost a touch, increases travel by half a day and plane tickets by $180. Flying into Salt Lake would have been golden. Also still looking at 66 in the SE portion of the state.

I haven't hunted the Panhandle. But I've driven through there a few times and it looks THICK. I'm assuming the glassing can be tough in that country.

Personally, I'd go Weiser River if I were you. Elk are over objective, a ton of other hunters, but a ton of elk as well. Plenty of elk. You can also shoot a cow on that general tag.

Been looking at Weiser as well; didn't see the cow availability there in the 2018 regs, must have missed it. Flying into Boise still adds half a day, you have to land in Salt Lake and connect. Also trying to link up Mule Deer/Bear with the B tag elk season, more meat.

I've hunted Sawtooth and Salmon units, wolves are pretty much king in both. But that doesn't mean there isn't good elk hunting. You'll just have to realize that if you come across a ton wolf sign you'll have to move on and find them somewhere else. I hunt the A tags every year so its not quite the time of year you're looking at but 2018 was tough, first year I didn't kill an elk in 5 years. Found a few fresh wolf kills in 36B and 1 bull with cows in the general area. BUT, I'd also had a premium archery bull tag in Nevada during August that took most of my time, and resources. Haven't been able to get a Sawtooth tag for a few of years because the demand made it a nightmare to get one, but it looks like they area going to add 1500 or so to the hunts this year. So I move to the Salmon and other than this year I usually can tag out, but I'm not picky either. If it's legal, it's going in the freezer.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back