20 Gauge recommendations

You asked a broad question which leads to broad answers. However, if you are looking for a utility hunting rig-you cant go wrong with one of these. Light, well balanced between the hands, swings well for such a light gun and functions as it should. I shot one of these on a 5 stand and was most impressed for what it is.

http://www.randywakeman.com/WhytheMossbergSA20istheBest.htm

You asked a broad question which leads to broad answers. However, if you are looking for a utility hunting rig-you cant go wrong with one of these. Light, well balanced between the hands, swings well for such a light gun and functions as it should. I shot one of these on a 5 stand and was most impressed for what it is.

http://www.randywakeman.com/WhytheMossbergSA20istheBest.htm

I second this if you are on a budget. I have 2 of them - one I leave up at the cabin for impromtu grouse hunting and the second is what my teen-aged son uses for pheasant and grouse. I have even used mine for sporting clays and I think I shot it better than I shot my higher priced guns. I have had several friends on a budget buy them on my recommendation and all have been satisfied. If you can afford, I would still go with the bellinis or berettas mentioned above, but for just a little more than a pump, you get a heck of a gun.

Bought my 1st Moss 500 over 45 yr ago and I've never looked back. Hell, even the Marines issued me one, or three, and I'm still here.

One year I dropped 3 whitetails with a single shot each, without changing to a slug barrel.

Just adapt your shell to what your hunting. A 20ga hits just as hard as a 12ga, just with a bit less shot.

Another vote for the Mossberg 500. Reliable and indestructible. At least that's my experience for the last 28 years.

Beretta explor 400 action light weight very high quality gun!

I have a Browning 20 gauge bps 26" barrel like new with three chokes for $385 shipped if the op is interested.

I'd look for an early used Remington Wingmaster from the 60's thru the 70's. Machined steel forgings instead of MIM stuff. They were built to last a lifetime. The Mossberg 500's from that era are worth consideration as well. I almost forgot about the Ithaca pump shotgun, another good choice.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back