Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

20 Gauge recommendations

Cmbrown337

I am wanting to get a 20 gauge shotgun to use from hunting small game, to upland birds to turkeys. What are your suggestions in a good gun?

I really am disappointed in the finish used on the Rem. M 870.

But for the price, available excessories , ease of swapping barrels, and just great function.......
It's still the way to go.
I have an 18" ribbed barrel and pistol grip on mine. Take it camping, hiking, for small game and bear spray.
Great all around gun with 24" barrel for sure. Screw in choke tubes are a must.

I bought both my boys Rem M 870s for Christmas. As Millsworks said, the finish is not great. Heck my 12 gauge 870 from the early 80's has amazing finish and that thing has been through it all. For the price, they are hard to beat and will probably last forever.

I am a semi auto guy. I love benelli M2 and SBEII and beretta a400 xplr. Beretta is a little softer shooting and benelli easier to keep clean. The benelli montefeltro is a great option to save a few dollars.

I've had a Mossberg 500 since 1988. The thing has been through it all. It will function if the action is full of mud. I've had an 870 for almost as long. Same reliable performance. Upland, waterfowl and turkeys have all died. I'm not a shotgun snob, so these two work well for me. I've even killed a couple elk with my 870. mtmuley

Remington has two 870's
870 Wingmaster, nicely blued at MSRP of 847$
870 Express, matt blued MSRP of 417$
I have used an Express for over 20 years with no complaints but if looks matter the Wingmaster is very nice.

No question, Remington 870 Youth with a 21" barrel. For less than $300, they're hard to beat. Mine will put 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with TSS and a RSF choke.

Hard to beat an Ithaca/SKB model 100. You even get two barrels with it, yet its lighter and quicker than any pump or semi.

Lots of good choices out there. I have had a Mossberg Silver Reserve II for awhile now that I really like. My wife has since confiscated it for her own personal use. We have used it for doves, squirrels, rabbits, grouse, pheasants, ducks, and turkeys. Turlock makes a .571 (I think it is) choke for them that is great for turkeys.

Semi-Auto------Benelli and Franchi

O/U------Blaser, Browning, or Caesar Guerini

Just did research on a shotgun for a female---- Blaser F 16 Intuition and Syren

Plenty of good options out there. Any idea if you prefer a pump, semi, double barrel? Price range?

Depends on your budget and your preferences. The Maverick 88 gets plenty of good reviews for functionality and price. I like an 870 for a beater gun personally. Mossberg 500 is the nicer, US made gun that the 88 is based on, and also gets plenty of love. I’ve never used a mossberg. In O/Us Yildiz and Huglu are both guns that I’ve used and been happy with despite their price point. All the guns I’ve named are budget guns. They have served myself or friends well, but none of us invests the kind of money in shotguns that we do in rifles.

Im partial to my beretta black wing. But my wifes mossburg silver reserve is super nice for a lot less. Tough to beat a OU for grouse.

A Mossberg 500 in 20 guage is fantastic, i have one, use it on small game and then switch out the barrel for the slug barrel for use on deer or black bear. Wasn't expensive either.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zjzeuske
Back