Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Jerky from elk burger

fattybinz

Can you make jerky out of elk burger that has ~15% beef fat mixed into it? I've got too much burger on my hand and I'd like to make jerky out of it using a jerky gun. Kind of regret asking my butcher to put so much fat into it...but if I can still make jerky out of it then it'll be all good. Thanks

I don't know personally. I don't have a jerky gun or anything. But what's the worst that happens if you try it with a pound of burger and it doesn't work out? You end up with a pound of burger that doesn't work out like you hoped and you toss it in with some scrambled eggs and hashbrowns and have some breakfast or something. Don't be afraid to experiment a little. You may uncover something great.

It will be fine with 15% suet in it to make jerky, just a little bit more on the greasy side.

It will work fine for jerky. I make it with burger all the time. The ground stuff you buy at the store is easily 15-20% suet.

Agree it will work fine. But, I'd freeze anything you weren't going to eat right away. The fat will go rancid a lot quicker than super lean meat by itself.

Agree it will work fine. But, I'd freeze anything you weren't going to eat right away. The fat will go rancid a lot quicker than super lean meat by itself.

Good point. Also once dried out, fat will go rancid much faster in the freezer as well. Ground jerky has about a 3-6m window in the freezer, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back