New Hunting Pack

I probably should’ve put that I’ve done plenty of research, but I guess I was looking for some direct help haha.

There are plenty of recommendations for MR on here, some for Stone Glacier. What direct help do you need?

I’ve been looking at MR, SG, and exo - but so far I’ve really liked the wide variety of options from MR - but just can’t decide which ones would be best

I love my SG Sky talus but its a little out of your price range.

Buy used. Good packs hold their value so you could try multiple brands and styles to determine what is best for you without being out much money.

I’ve been looking at MR, SG, and exo - but so far I’ve really liked the wide variety of options from MR - but just can’t decide which ones would be best

All are excellent. MR is built like a tank and can often be found on sale. New to western hunting but not new to backpacking and I find MR guidelight packs super comfortable under load. In my opinion the only reason to stray from MR is if you are an ‘ounce counting’ ultralight guy, as the others are a little lighter. But I don’t think that should matter for day packs. Plus, when I get to ‘coin-toss’ decisions, lately I have been picking HT sponsors (MR, Leupold, etc.).

Last edited:
It's a plastic stock so what. Jana is a tough gal and could probably put a lot of you to shame

LOL. Doubtful.

Jana likes her guided hunts. I follow her on IG. She doesn’t get much done or seem to be a real hard charger when left to her own devices. Mostly likes to take pictures for social media.

No bad choice on that list. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with a MR pack though. I have a few.

IMO, its tough to do it all with one pack.

I have used the penguin, crew cab, Metcalf, and the 6500 MR packs.

For a day hunt type pack that you can still pack an elk quarter on the first trip out....Metcalf and crew cab. I give the nod to the Metcalf as you can pack spotting scopes, tripods, etc. a lot easier.

For backpacking a camp in, no question the 6500 is the way to fly. For hauling elk quarters...same thing, 6500 all the way. I have packed 2 bone in hinds at the same time from a raghorn bull in the 6500.

Metcalf was maxed out...bone in quartered coues buck, 80mm Swaro 20-60 spotting scope, manfrotto tripod, extra jacket, rifle, blah blah. All fit without having to use the over-load.

IMG952008.jpg

I typically have the 6500 along, in the truck or at camp, when I'm elk hunting. Usually hunt with the crew cab or Metcalf and use either exclusively when hunting deer or pronghorn.

Packs are like vehicles, everything is a compromise.

IMO, its tough to do it all with one pack.

I have used the penguin, crew cab, Metcalf, and the 6500 MR packs.

For a day hunt type pack that you can still pack an elk quarter on the first trip out....Metcalf and crew cab. I give the nod to the Metcalf as you can pack spotting scopes, tripods, etc. a lot easier.

For backpacking a camp in, no question the 6500 is the way to fly. For hauling elk quarters...same thing, 6500 all the way. I have packed 2 bone in hinds at the same time from a raghorn bull in the 6500.

Metcalf was maxed out...bone in quartered coues buck, 80mm Swaro 20-60 spotting scope, manfrotto tripod, extra jacket, rifle, blah blah. All fit without having to use the over-load.
I typically have the 6500 along, in the truck or at camp, when I'm elk hunting. Usually hunt with the crew cab or Metcalf and use either exclusively when hunting deer or pronghorn.

Packs are like vehicles, everything is a compromise.

Can I infer that you prefer to carry meat inside the pack rather than ‘meat shelf’? Or does 6500 have a meat shelf?

Ok, thanks for all the help. I've looked into the Pintler and the Cabinet and found good deals on both. Which ones would you guys suggest?

Ok, thanks for all the help. I've looked into the Pintler and the Cabinet and found good deals on both. Which ones would you guys suggest?

I like the Pintler but it’s a little small for overnights. You can put a dry bag in the Cabinet and increase the capacity quite a bit.

Actually, I just found a great deal on a Metcalf as well (In multicam). Would that be good as well?

LOL. Doubtful.

Jana likes her guided hunts. I follow her on IG. She doesn’t get much done or seem to be a real hard charger when left to her own devices. Mostly likes to take pictures for social media.

I know she helped her BIL on a crappy Breaks elk packout. I killed one in the same place. Not for the timid. I used a purple mountaineering pack though. mtmuley

Metcalf is good buy as extra room, but lashes down fairly well for day hunt. Also, you can later add mule or Pinter bags as options, but can’t do the reverse. This is what I did. Had bought metcalf and got cheap deal on mule bag $99. Bought Pinter for son. It’s mix and match now when we go.

I've used the Kuiu Icon Pro the last couple of year. I've used I to haul out two mule deer by myself. Petty happy with it.

Mystery Ranch Stein 62 Backpack is a good candidate, easily switch to day pack or backpack, best bang for the buck

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back