Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sschultz View Post
    It's a plastic stock so what. Jana is a tough gal and could probably put a lot of you to shame
    LOL. Doubtful.

Jana likes her guided hunts. I follow her on IG. She doesn’t get much done or seem to be a real hard charger when left to her own devices. Mostly likes to take pictures for social media.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDavis View Post
    I’ve been looking at MR, SG, and exo - but so far I’ve really liked the wide variety of options from MR - but just can’t decide which ones would be best

No bad choice on that list. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with a MR pack though. I have a few.
    Thin out their numbers

IMO, its tough to do it all with one pack.

I have used the penguin, crew cab, Metcalf, and the 6500 MR packs.

For a day hunt type pack that you can still pack an elk quarter on the first trip out....Metcalf and crew cab. I give the nod to the Metcalf as you can pack spotting scopes, tripods, etc. a lot easier.

For backpacking a camp in, no question the 6500 is the way to fly. For hauling elk quarters...same thing, 6500 all the way. I have packed 2 bone in hinds at the same time from a raghorn bull in the 6500.

Metcalf was maxed out...bone in quartered coues buck, 80mm Swaro 20-60 spotting scope, manfrotto tripod, extra jacket, rifle, blah blah. All fit without having to use the over-load.

I typically have the 6500 along, in the truck or at camp, when I'm elk hunting. Usually hunt with the crew cab or Metcalf and use either exclusively when hunting deer or pronghorn.

Packs are like vehicles, everything is a compromise.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    IMO, its tough to do it all with one pack.

I have used the penguin, crew cab, Metcalf, and the 6500 MR packs.

For a day hunt type pack that you can still pack an elk quarter on the first trip out....Metcalf and crew cab. I give the nod to the Metcalf as you can pack spotting scopes, tripods, etc. a lot easier.

For backpacking a camp in, no question the 6500 is the way to fly. For hauling elk quarters...same thing, 6500 all the way. I have packed 2 bone in hinds at the same time from a raghorn bull in the 6500.

Metcalf was maxed out...bone in quartered coues buck, 80mm Swaro 20-60 spotting scope, manfrotto tripod, extra jacket, rifle, blah blah. All fit without having to use the over-load.
    I typically have the 6500 along, in the truck or at camp, when I'm elk hunting. Usually hunt with the crew cab or Metcalf and use either exclusively when hunting deer or pronghorn.

Packs are like vehicles, everything is a compromise.
    Can I infer that you prefer to carry meat inside the pack rather than ‘meat shelf’? Or does 6500 have a meat shelf?
    Freedom Is Not Free

5. Default

Ok, thanks for all the help. I've looked into the Pintler and the Cabinet and found good deals on both. Which ones would you guys suggest?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDavis View Post
    Ok, thanks for all the help. I've looked into the Pintler and the Cabinet and found good deals on both. Which ones would you guys suggest?
    I like the Pintler but it’s a little small for overnights. You can put a dry bag in the Cabinet and increase the capacity quite a bit.
    Thin out their numbers

7. Default

Actually, I just found a great deal on a Metcalf as well (In multicam). Would that be good as well?

Quote Originally Posted by belly-deep View Post
    LOL. Doubtful.

Jana likes her guided hunts. I follow her on IG. She doesnít get much done or seem to be a real hard charger when left to her own devices. Mostly likes to take pictures for social media.
    I know she helped her BIL on a crappy Breaks elk packout. I killed one in the same place. Not for the timid. I used a purple mountaineering pack though. mtmuley

Metcalf is good buy as extra room, but lashes down fairly well for day hunt. Also, you can later add mule or Pinter bags as options, but canít do the reverse. This is what I did. Had bought metcalf and got cheap deal on mule bag $99. Bought Pinter for son. Itís mix and match now when we go.
    Freedom Is Not Free

I've used the Kuiu Icon Pro the last couple of year. I've used I to haul out two mule deer by myself. Petty happy with it.

11. Default

Mystery Ranch Stein 62 Backpack is a good candidate, easily switch to day pack or backpack, best bang for the buck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12