Referral?

VikingsGuy

HT is a great resource for the DIY Public Lands Hunter - and that is the type of hunt that carries the most interest for me. But I have a situation where my hunting buddy wants to bring his 75+ year old dad next year for 'lope or elk. That changes the requirements, no time to build points (his dad has zero), elevation/topography have to be manageable, success rates should be high. I think that means a private land hunt in a WY or MT unit that is relatively easy to draw because of lack of public opportunity. And their budget is not going to allow from some primo outfitter (but maybe budget outfitter).

So, this is not really the focus of HT, but do any of you have any recommendations for private land access or reasonably priced outfitters? Or is there a forum somewhere else on the internet like HT that is a better place to ask questions about hunting private (but still get good advice like HT)?

Thanks for any help!

You don't say enough about the guys physical state.

We hunt Wyoming antelope with old folks every few years. I generally end up burning my points to bring up the group average. There are plenty of units you can draw with little points that have "Walk in only" access (research this on the WGF site) or that have farms/ranches that have "trespass fees" (look on WGF wedsite). You could also pay the "Special" price for better draw odds.

Antelope hunting isn't particularly physically challenging if you don't want it to be. We often shoot antelope from within a few hundred yards of the truck or less. We see others who seem to harvest their antelope from the truck or very near by. Terrain is generally mild sagebrush type ground. Easy to walk.
Of course these aren't big buck areas, but success rates are high.

Start by going to the WGF website and clicking the green box in the upper right "Public Access". That will give you an idea of the programs. The look at the draw odds and see where you have a chance. Then go back to the "Public Access" tab and see if land is available. Pay attention to state (blue) and BLM (yellow) as well. Then hit up google earth or ONX to see what the terrain looks like.

You can find your own hunting access. Antelope is a good way to start.

Do you think he is wanting to shoot a buck/bull or just get out and hunt either critter? If he would be happy with a doe/cow, then I would think you can skip the outfitter for sure with antelope, and probably with elk.

Sure as heck don't need an outfitter for antelope in WY. You can buy a tag, drive around on 2-tracks and shoot from the truck with zero points. My in-laws have been doing it for 20+ years. The first year I went with, I was like, "This isn't hunting, this is harvesting."

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back