Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default rebarreling 270 to 280ai

I'm trying to talk myself out of a Kimber Hunter in 280ai so I'm considering having my 270 Win Model 70 featherweight rechambered/rebarreled to 280AI. I'm also thinking of having it cerakoted while they are messing with it.

Anyone have any idea of what this would cost? Recommended guys?

Side question would you just have the factory barrel rebored or go full rebarrel with a similar profile?
    Last edited by Mthuntr; 01-11-2019 at 10:38 AM.

You’re looking at about $800-850if you go with a Krieger/bartlein. You could save a little cash on the barrel but if it were me, I’d just go with the top end. Personally I wouldn’t mess with a rebore but that’s just me. My brother has been cranking out rifles for a few years. No website but he’s got a Facebook/Instagram, four o six gunsmithing

Thanks...just got your Facebook message
    Last edited by Mthuntr; 01-11-2019 at 10:48 AM.

My guess: $200-$500 for the barrel; $70-200 for the smithing; $75-150 for cerakoting
    Freedom Is Not Free

5. Default

I had a Rem 700 25-06 re-barreled to 6.5x06. Had a Shilen barrel put on it and provided a dummy cartridge for how I wanted it chambered. Number of years ago and seem's to me it was around $800.

6. Default

Definitely rebarrel with an aftermarket barrel. Are you looking to keep it the same weight? Using the factory stock? There are a few companies that will duplicate the m70 featherweight contour or you can get pretty close with a few other contours.
    I’d rechamber to the specs of 280ai Nosler brass and not worry about fire forming if I went AI again.

Not sure they'd rebore a barrel to one that close in diameter. IIRC, one of the rebore guys had a minimum difference clause before he'd rebore.

I'd opt for a rebarrel if I was wanting to go to that cartridge so as to be able to have more choices on barrel length, profile and twist. The first and the last of those would depend on what you are planning on as far as a stock goes and planned usage.

Then again, R26 will reportedly get 150gr bullets close to 3000fps. That covers a whole lot of territory...

Does the 270 shoot now?

Rebarrel for sure. Get a stainless custom. 9” twist. It’ll handle even the 195 EOL, and probably other brands longest bullets as well unless you plan on shooting it at sea level in the cold.

Unless you wanna keep the .270 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by ImBillT View Post
    unless you plan on shooting it at sea level in the cold.
    ???
    Freedom Is Not Free

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by VikingsGuy View Post
    ???
    He’s talking about bullet stability at sea level.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post
    Not sure they'd rebore a barrel to one that close in diameter. IIRC, one of the rebore guys had a minimum difference clause before he'd rebore.
    I don't think its even possible. They have to have enough metal to scrape out so that the rebore completely cuts new lands and grooves. 0.007" ain't gonna get you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mthuntr View Post
    I'm trying to talk myself out of a Kimber Hunter in 280ai
    These words confuse me .

Economically, the rebarrel is going to cost just as much as the Kimber Hunter. Having 2 rifles v. 1 > than the cost of a scope.....
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

I'm partial to the M70. Compared to most of the rifles I've shot, I've never found an action as smooth as that one. Although, I know they exist. Re-chamber/re-barrel the old girl!

Additionally I'm jealous that you're having to make this choice.
    Old Milwaukee Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaHunter View Post
    These words confuse me .

Economically, the rebarrel is going to cost just as much as the Kimber Hunter. Having 2 rifles v. 1 > than the cost of a scope.....
    I know...I'm always trying to talk myself out several rifles (today it's the Kimber Hunter and last week it was Rem 700AWR in 300RUM). The 270 shoots ok it's not as magical as the 280ai to me but maybe that's the way it'll have to be since the estimated price of a rebarrel is rapidly approaching a new rifle. I think I'll have to wait on either option until we find out the results of the Alaska draw next month.

I think I'll have to wait on either option until we find out the results of the Alaska draw next month.
    I am pulling for you!! Then you are really going to need that AI!
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

Having shot a number of elk and a pile of other critters with both a 270 and 280... the magic is between the ears. That said I do prefer the 280 because I have a few .284 bores and I use the same bullets.

I would pick up a Montana over the Hunter if it was me. The stock is worth the extra coin, IMO. The Hunter stock is really cheap feeling, IMO.
    "No Kuiu here"

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Having shot a number of elk and a pile of other critters with both a 270 and 280... the magic is between the ears. That said I do prefer the 280 because I have a few .284 bores and I use the same bullets.

I would pick up a Montana over the Hunter if it was me. The stock is worth the extra coin, IMO. The Hunter stock is really cheap feeling, IMO.
    That's obvious of course especially since I have a host of other rifles that already fill the niche but there is an infinitely small space between a couple rifles that I feel the need to fill.

but there is an infinitely small space between a couple rifles that I feel the need to fill.
    If it's a disease, I don't want the cure.
    Freedom Is Not Free

Personally,
    If the 270 shoots well, i'd keep it and save for the Kimber.

I know a lot of people on the forums exclaim to "buy nothing but the best" and that would include barrels. Bertlein, Kreiger, Pac-Nor, and others do make some darn fine barrels.
    But....
    I'm one with a financial deficit. I like good, less expensive products that get the job done.
    Hence i'm a fan of E.R.Shaw barrels.
    And the ones i've gotten from them thus far shoot sub MOA to 600 yards.

Let the "buy once, cry once" griping begin....

I did almost exactly what you are thinking. I did not have a DONOR action to start with so I had to find one.

Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in 270 with the walnut stock. The rifle was in very good condition and I recall I got it for about $600.00.
    Maybe one or two boxes of ammo down the barrel is all. Stock in great shape also.

Had Peterson Precision Rifles (Bob Peterson in Missoula MT. do all the work for me. I put a 24" Shilen match grade stainless barrel on the rifle with what was real close to the Winchester contour and weight. The action and bolt face were trued and squared up. The trigger was worked until it broke like glass at 2.5 pounds. Of course I had it chambered in Nosler 280 AI!!

Action and barrel were done in John Norrell Arms moly resin in a flat black which closely matches with the matt finish on the Leupold scope that I put on it. This stuff is really good and in two years of hard hunting it has held up very well! The stock was both pillar and glass bedded.
    https://molyresin.com/

I got a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold VX3 with the B&C reticle on it and used Talley mounts.

I love the way the rifle looks and how it shoots. I vote for working on the featherweight and having fun with a build. I can highly recommend Bob Peterson and the quality work that he does. You will not be sorry.

David

P.S. Any questions shoot me a pm. Provide a phone number and I'll text you some pictures of the rifle.
    Last edited by 6mm Remington; 01-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.

I'd put a #2, 8 or 8.7 twist on that M70 and finish it at 22" and be a happy happy man.
    Four of a kind, 7x57, 284 winchester, 7 Remington Mag, 7 Mashburn.

Pac-nor sells pre-fit, chambered barrels for 300-450 dollars. And will fit them for around $300.00 ,plus shipping.
    But, those remage barrels aren't hard to install yourself, if you are Handy with some hand tools.
    Remage barrels use a barrel nut to hold the barrel in proper head space. So with a good vice, an action wrench , and a go + no go guage set , most can do it themselves and save some money.
    But , I personally don't like the look of a barrel nut and prefer the traditional installation method of a solid shoulder on the barrel , tightened up against the action and a final reaming of the chamber to proper head space.
    280AI is a great cartridge, especially for a hand loader.
    I strongly recommend 24" barrel length in an 8" twist.
    Last edited by Millsworks; 01-11-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jryoung View Post
    I'd put a #2, 8 or 8.7 twist on that M70 and finish it at 22" and be a happy happy man.
    ^^^^Wont get better advice than this^^^^
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

A short barrel gun carrys and handles nice in dense woods. And 22" guns aren't overly short ,so as to loose alot of velocity. But loose velocity they most certainly will.
    The Ackley Improved cartridges gain roughly 100fps on average, over their standard counter parts. A 22" barrel looses that gain verses a 24" barrel. In my experience a couple extra inches of barrel doesn't necessarily hinder a walk in the timber, but it sure adds velocity and makes that rifle a little more pleasant to shoot, due to less muzzle rise and recoil. Even a little less muzzle rise and recoil is still "less".
    To each his or her own. But the 280AI can be a handful in a short ,light rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast