Default Looking to upgrade spotter tripod

Looking for recommendations on a new spotter tripod and costs
    " You know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians. Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest!"

Blog Entries

I picked up the Vortex Summit SSP a couple weeks ago on ebay for a deal. It's been great. I like the twist lock on the legs, quick and easy deployment. My last one had the levers, and I din't like that at all. Plus lifetime warranty...
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

3. Default

I use the Vortex Pro GT Tripod. I like it, but it is a bit heavy. With that being said, the weight is helpful in the wind. Also don't take 406Life's comment about the lifetime warranty lightly. I have already used mine, I dropped it and busted up the head. Vortex didn't ask any questions and I had the parts I needed in a couple of days. I think it costs around $150.

I also just picked up the vortex summit. After talking to a very helpful employee at Sportsmans Warehouse for a while, I am convinced that the leg clipping mechanisms (as opposed to the twist-lock mechanisms) are unreliable. He explained that they start to slip, and over time, the gets worse. I was looking at the Vanguard Alta series (which are mostly the clips) and he convinced me that the twist locks were much better.

I don't have much experience with other tripods, though. That said, I am very happy with the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by 88man View Post
    Looking for recommendations on a new spotter tripod and costs
    What size/weight of spotter? All tripod heads have weight limits that they'll be able to hold. For example the Vortex Summit SS-P worked great for my 50mm 24 oz spotter, but couldn't hold up my 65mm 48 oz spotter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wannakillabigbull View Post
    What size/weight of spotter? All tripod heads have weight limits that they'll be able to hold. For example the Vortex Summit SS-P worked great for my 50mm 24 oz spotter, but couldn't hold up my 65mm 48 oz spotter.

Thats a good point. The Summit is also made more for packing than lugging around in a truck. Mine pulls double duty. Also, FWIW, the hook on the middle of the tripod is for adding weight to adds stability; I just use my pack when its needed.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

The Sirui T-025X with T-10 head is a pretty light tripod but supports loads up to 13.2 pounds while weighing less than 2 lbs. I've used it for several years and seems like a pretty good tripod.
    In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

Quote Originally Posted by TRS_Montana View Post
    I also just picked up the vortex summit. After talking to a very helpful employee at Sportsmans Warehouse for a while, I am convinced that the leg clipping mechanisms (as opposed to the twist-lock mechanisms) are unreliable. He explained that they start to slip, and over time, the gets worse. I was looking at the Vanguard Alta series (which are mostly the clips) and he convinced me that the twist locks were much better.

I don't have much experience with other tripods, though. That said, I am very happy with the summit.
    I have an Alta series. That salesman is full of it. mtmuley

I personally steer away from twist locks, had to many fail on tripods and shooting sticks. Snap locks seem IMHO to hold up way better. I have a vortex high country right now. Not bad not great but serviceable. Hasn’t yet let me down.
    I work so I can hunt

suck up the $ pain and buy an Outdoorsmans and don't look back
    Colorado's Sexiest Elk Hunter 2009-2019
    Squirrel's and SteveE 's super secret man crush
    SSSMC-2016-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkshooter View Post
    suck up the $ pain and buy an Outdoorsmans and don't look back
    Did that 3 or 4 years ago. Happy with the purchase, but can't compare it to other quality tripods. I use it a ton for my small camera lenses as well.

keep an eye on the slik sale tab on their page, they have been closing out "old" models. I just bought a 724 for $162 a couple weeks ago.
    https://slikusa.com/collections/sale...25ds-ball-head
    this would make for a great setup if you need a head as well. A deal popped up for me for an extra 10% off the first order.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
    I have an Alta series. That salesman is full of it. mtmuley
    Could be. I'll keep it in mind if the twist locks on the summit become a disappointment down the road. One negative comment I have right away with the summit is that the head sucks. I bought a nikon window mount. I am going to tap a piece of machined aluminum that will screw on to the summit tripod and serve as an adaptor for the nikon window mount so that I don't have to switch heads.

spotter is a pentax 80ed
    " You know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians. Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest!"

Quote Originally Posted by TRS_Montana View Post
    Could be. I'll keep it in mind if the twist locks on the summit become a disappointment down the road. One negative comment I have right away with the summit is that the head sucks. I bought a nikon window mount. I am going to tap a piece of machined aluminum that will screw on to the summit tripod and serve as an adaptor for the nikon window mount so that I don't have to switch heads.
    The different mounting bases between tripod and window mount are a pita for sure. I have separate tripods for my chrono and rifle range scope. My hunting spotter has it's own tripod. Wish I could have a universal base. To the op, my Alta 233AO is rock solid with a 65mm. It holds 6 lbs. mtmuley