Retire in Wyoming?

I’m doing WY antelope this year with the whole family to see if we like Cheyenne/Laramie area for our next stint in life. I was searching Mr Gore’s interweb yesterday for jobs and housing for the wife and I. There seems to be quite a few options.

Just remember that Cheyenne and Laramie in December, January, February, March, April and some years the first half of May, is a lot different than late September and October when you will be hunting pronghorns. We have missed a U. of Wy. graduation or two in early May due to blizzards.

And, if anyone wants to live in a "brand" town there is always JayEm, Ucross or Kaycee.

ClearCreek

Buford,
The guy who bought it doesn't even keep the store open anymore. You could have your own town. Would be a great place to run a prostitution operation for truckers on I-80.

If that doesn't interest you then I would suggest Saratoga. Great little town that is not far from Colorado and Laramie. Downside is you have to go to Rawlins for some things but the Snowies are a lot of fun year round.

I'm ready to pack it in here. Wyoming, Montana, I always threatened Alaska. Don't think I can convince the pentagon, and if it takes a couple more years might not be much point in going, packing an elk out on your back at retirement age is probably asking for trouble.

Dubois is a great place! So many great places in WY, it would be hard to choose where to go.

Dubois land prices are through the roof. The Millionaires from Jackson Hole moved to Dubois after the Billionaires kicked them out of Jackson. Ground there is real pricey.

Star Valley (Afton) is beautiful. It's also close to Idaho and Utah for hunting in those states and is in the middle of good big game hunting and fishing. Not sure about the sheep around there.

Star Valley is interesting! My wife and I stopped for lunch in Afton at a locals restaurant. There was great people watching. Us watching them, they watching us. There was a young couple (?) with 6 kids in one of the booths. Pops was a 30ish looking dude with 2 obvious "wives". I've seen families like this in Colorado City AZ and they often would come in to Flagstaff for shopping, usually came down in 10 or 12 passenger vans. To each his own. As an aside, the "Sister Wives" families have moved into Flagstaff, probably gives the LDS Stake Bishop some heatburn. FWIW. GJ

Last edited:
I'm actually looking into moving my family to Wheatland.I chose that area to search due to the fact I'm a contractor and need quick access to the biggest populations.Puts me within an hour of Casper,Cheyenne and Laramie and slightly longer to Fort Collins area.Housing looks very reasonable there and some small acreage building lots.I would think I could find plenty of work covering an hour in any direction from there.Good fishing not too far away,unit 7 close for at least guaranteed antlerless tags,no shortage of deer or antelope.Plus I'm a yote trapper and it wouldn't bother me much to catch some of those pesky $300+ bobcats.
There's some 3-5 acre building lots I'm interested in close to town.Id personally want to build my own home as I've done many for other people.Wife/kids want some livestock and raised gardens to keep her busy.That and filling a bunch of deer,antelope and elk tags should cut down on food bill,and figured on solar panels for my electric.
Anybody have any warnings that I'm looking in the wrong area/town??

Wheatland is an interesting town. The military base in Guernsey helps Wheatland, as does the proximity to Cheyenne. Lots of good hunting and fishing opportunities nearby. But you may find yourself doing a lot of driving from there for work and a place closer to Cheyenne would probably be worth considering. Ft Collins is very accessible which will likely provide as much work as you want for the immediate future. Cheyenne just has a lot more going on it seems between the military base, capitol, etc... If you want more solitude look East of Cheyenne which will still give you plenty of options for work within an hour and more bang for your buck.

Laramie has a really nice campus, but beyond that the town leaves a lot to be desired for some people and the weather is not as warm as Wheatland or Cheyenne.

Dubois land prices are through the roof. The Millionaires from Jackson Hole moved to Dubois after the Billionaires kicked them out of Jackson. Ground there is real pricey.

Wow! How times have changed! Admittedly it was some 30 years ago. I recall fun spirited bars, Theodore Roosevelt defined Americans and Rendezvous gals!

I retire from the navy in about 5 years and the wife and I are having a serious talk about moving to Wyoming as well. I will be leaving behind 100 acres in Virginia that I own with my cousin and I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell. How's the duck hunting in Wyoming?

I retire from the navy in about 5 years and the wife and I are having a serious talk about moving to Wyoming as well. I will be leaving behind 100 acres in Virginia that I own with my cousin and I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell. How's the duck hunting in Wyoming?

I've killed ducks in Cody behind Wal-Mart....

I have been here in WY since 1975. There are many great things to enjoy, when you love the out doors.
1. The ability to spend a day and never see another person.
2. Lots of public lands.
3. Multiple types of animals and fish to chase all year long.
4 No state income tax.
5. More people that believe that freedom as individual is a key to happy life, and many more good reasons.

The negatives are the winds can be depressing, dangerous and restrictive. The ability to get what you want today because of limited shopping in some areas and the cost can be higher. Wyoming has one of the highest supplemental insurance rates in the country for retirees.

I will never move to another state because it is that great, except when the wind is blowing 30 to 60+ mph all day.

Wyoming Whiskey fun to visit and use to give samples.. It is ok to sip but not great. I only live 45 miles from it.

Back