Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Retire in Wyoming?

Why not! What's the best way to hunt wilderness in Wyoming? Become a resident. I'm seriously thinking about buying some property there and have been doing some online searching. So if you had to retire in Wyoming where would you live and why? I have only 2 criteria. It can't be around Jackson Hole and it has to have bighorn sheep nearby.

Thoughts?
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

Cody? Why not is right. Low taxes. Seems like a great idea to me.

My parents live in Cody and they really enjoy it. We've taken drives out toward Yellowstone in the winter and there are elk, deer and sheep all over the place. The only downside is the tourism in the summer.
    "Experience is the best teacher, but it doesn't have to be your experience that you learn from." - Jim Wideman

I'll rent your place in the Bitter Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Bitterroot. mtmuley

6. Default

I'm considering it as well, but I may need a second place in a warmer/less windy climate to hold up for a few months after I tag out.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
    Bitterroot. mtmuley
    Right
    Last edited by Tradewind; 01-10-2019 at 10:47 PM.

It's a lot more Bitter than it was when I was a kid growing up. Some might say Bitter Valley and be somewhat right.
    How much l wanted to take scalps, but it was not my kill.

I was eyeballing s w wyo for same idea,,close to Idaho,utah and Colorado for tag draws,plus all the Wyoming resident bene like general elk tags and wilderness hunting.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just need to convince the wife its a good idea.

I will be retiring out there somewhere when I do retire. My wife is fond of the Missoula, Montana area, we both like the northern NM areas, but I REALLY like Wyoming. I've saw more game there than any other place I have been. There is a pretty decent job opening in Rock Springs that I am qualified for. I'd be there in a heartbeat applying for it, and ready to move if it wasn't for taking my young boys away from the grandparents. They are both really close to both my parents and hers, and I don't have the heart to take that away from them. Especially since I never had the opportunity to be close to my grandparents.

I’m doing WY antelope this year with the whole family to see if we like Cheyenne/Laramie area for our next stint in life. I was searching Mr Gore’s interweb yesterday for jobs and housing for the wife and I. There seems to be quite a few options.

Double

You can buy it in 5 or 6 years. Be prepared to outbid 50 wealthy Californians to get it though.
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

Many years ago I lived in Jackson Hole area. A whoopload has changed since and would steer far clear as you've determined. Seemed, even then, there was a needed supply for fiber. As I would route over to Dubois, Lander, and Riverton, over Togwotee pass Eastward, the stores fiber reduced.

I thought Dubois would be a great place to retire though would have to visit again for a fresh feel. In the meantime, Flathead Valley's fiber supply/demand has been a nice relief from my days living in the Zoo.
    Anyhow, if Colorado didn't have the massive rush of people from other state(s) that were frustrated about their state - though couldn't identify their own politics were the problem... I had thought the weather much more forgiving for the later years with the hunting maintaining value.
    Certainly understand Wyoming Federal land (our land) hunt opportunities are a great value along with the tax setting, etc.
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice.

Right now on the State of Wyoming jobs page there is a lodge caretaker position open in Dubois which is full time from March 1 to November 1 and can be lived at. Then you could go to AZ to hunt on your general license and just live in one of those big campers. That would be a dream retirement gig. Pays 19 bucks an hour.

I’m in the same boat about CO, plus I don’t want to finish my kids school years out where pot is legal. It has caused more issues in juvenile delinquency than what CO was prepared for. That is one of the big reason I want to leave MI as we are headed down that same road.

Dubois is a great place! So many great places in WY, it would be hard to choose where to go.
    I've been to a town, Del.

18. Default

This is kindof a fun topic. I am having trouble narrowing it down. Dubois was also my first thought when you said sheep. You can snowbird 180 days after one year of residency or something like that. I was going to throw on oddball into the topic and say Wheatland, just because. It would be quite the change from the Bitterroot Valley. My current top seven don't really take into account sheep but Dayton, Sundance, Rock River, Saratoga, Big Piney, Ten Sleep, and Meeteetsee I think. The grass is always greener a couple doors down you know type deal. My criteria is stop lights, more than one and that lucky town is out.

In my mind this really depends on if the wyo legislature ever pushes its resident point system through.
    I'm pretty sure the thermal's hate me

I plan on staying in Wyo when I retire. However, it will be in a different town than where I currently live. I like Rock Springs very much but other areas in Wyo have more to offer and less downside (wind). My wife and I just bought a piece of land in Wyo we plan to retire on.

The suggestions of Dubois and Cody are great ones that will tick the boxes you mentioned. I would also suggest Pinedale and the Upper Green.

Both sets of my wifes grandparents have retired and moved to Dubois and Alpine, both love it and we really enjoy both areas. I prefer Dubois because of the availability of everything, from fishing off of your back porch (her grandparents own a home on the river) to hunting some very respectable deer on OTC tags. The migration routes that run through that region are something to see, the quality and quantity of deer that come off the mountains to migrate will make you butter your butt and call yourself a biscuit. Dubois would be my choice. Not too far from my favorite summertime hang outs either. Far enough from Jackson you don't have the man buns running rampant but close enough to see big horns within a short drive. Only item of concern for Dubois is the occasional Grizz that meanders through town, causing all the retirees to go into panic mode over fear of loosing their min-pins to a bear. Good luck with the search!
    "It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take a chance?" -Ronald Reagan

I think once you've seen a certain number of sheep licking salt of the road it kinda loses it's magic. IMO there aren't that many places in Wyoming that are what I'd consider easy to live in; either because the roads are gnarly all winter, the wind blows a ton, cost of housing is high, etc. I know it doesn't seem like being 100 miles from home depot or having one electrician in town is a bad thing, just hope you don't have to rebuild your deck and the electrician is the same religion as you.

Sheridan/Buffalo and Alpine would be among the more easily "retirable" places in my book. I'm that told lots of old people agree.

I have friends in Cody. We visit them every year after Labor Day. I love the fly fishing in the area. We have chatted about retirement. Figure we can spend half the time in Cody and when it gets cold, live in Hawaii.

Lander seems nice . The right size IMO & in my experience a little less windy.

I keep watching this thread hoping the places I really like in WY don't get mentioned

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast