Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2018-19 Ia Buck

I argued that point but was told by all 3 that I would be fined for doing that.

Even if holding the loins in your hands? Let'em ticket you. That won't stand in court. Personally, I know of nothing in the Iowa hunting code that dictates how you butcher you animals. I've been here 27 yrs now and I haven't heard anything about this. Any pointers to the regs?

Even if holding the loins in your hands? Let'em ticket you. That won't stand in court. Personally, I know of nothing in the Iowa hunting code that dictates how you butcher you animals. I've been here 27 yrs now and I haven't heard anything about this. Any pointers to the regs?

I never found anything in the regs, thats why I personally asked the officers.

I never found anything in the regs, thats why I personally asked the officers.

I think they were making things up. No way that would hold up.

Personally, I drag my Iowa deer out. Much nicer to butcher them in my shop at home than in the field. There are very very few places that I have been in this state where packing one out is worth it, in my opinion anyway.

Awesome buck. Congrats...for me it's hard to archery hunt the late season....usually the "real" cold has me wearing too many clothes to confidently shoot my bow, cant sit still in 0 degree temps...this year I suppose a bit different. Way to stick it out and that's a great buck! Kudos.

I hunt some public spots in eastern IA that are over a mile or so from nearest access, where I've already decided I'd need to pack one out rather than drag and have the game bags w me....plus it's good practice for hunting out west when it's a necessity.

Regarding legality in IA...here's the only part of the regs that's ever given me any concern: ". The head, and
antlers if any, shall remain attached to the deer
while being transported from the place where
taken to the processor or commercial preserva-
tion facility or until the deer has been processed
for consumption."....I think if you're packing the whole animal out I'd have a hard time seeing the local CO giving you a hard time....the intent is obviously to prevent poaching and taking only the head.

Like I said, some of the places I hunt, if he's big enough I'm shooting, quartering, and packing and taking my chances.... plus I'm processing myself so when does "processing for consumption" begin?...I guess I'd argue when i start quartering....

Curious though....have you delivered your quartered deer to a processor?

Awesome buck. Congrats...for me it's hard to archery hunt the late season....usually the "real" cold has me wearing too many clothes to confidently shoot my bow, cant sit still in 0 degree temps...this year I suppose a bit different. Way to stick it out and that's a great buck! Kudos.

I hunt some public spots in eastern IA that are over a mile or so from nearest access, where I've already decided I'd need to pack one out rather than drag and have the game bags w me....plus it's good practice for hunting out west when it's a necessity.

Regarding legality in IA...here's the only part of the regs that's ever given me any concern: ". The head, and
for consumption."....I think if you're packing the whole animal out I'd have a hard time seeing the local CO giving you a hard time....the intent is obviously to prevent poaching and taking only the head.

Like I said, some of the places I hunt, if he's big enough I'm shooting, quartering, and packing and taking my chances.... plus I'm processing myself so when does "processing for consumption" begin?...I guess I'd argue when i start quartering....

I do all my own processing. I do pack mine out when in northeast Iowa. I just take a couple extra minutes and gut it first.

I stopped at Edgewood locker a few weeks back and they had a sign saying shotgun season deer brought in whole we’re going to be done in February and deer already boned out would be March. I know some places are no longer taking bone in because of cwd and disposal of bones.

Also a thought on gutless method. I have no idea if it’s legal or not but I do know people who do it. Is it possible that the Officer did not understand what the gutless method is? Many of them have probably never hunted west and have never been exposed to it if they are originally from the Midwest.?

Thanks man!this is the first year I’ve really done much late season hunting. Usually I’m trapping or yote hunting by now, but I’m glad it paid off. I’m familiar with that part of the regs. I was told second hand that quarrying and packing out, specifically de boning, was processing for consumption. I think the person even had that in a text from their CO. In the many internet discussions I’ve seen on this topic the general consensus is that it is legal, but he prepared to take your officer to the site of the kill if requested. I process all my own meat so haven’t ever taken one to a locker regardless of the condition.

Just a little information for you. I talked to a few different dnr officers and was told the gutless method is illegal in Iowa. If you butcher a deer in the field you have to gut it to get the inner loins out.

Where the Game Wardens lack of knowledge is if you do the gutless method and take the loins out there is no wanton waste of game. Wanton Waste of Game is Illegal in Iowa.
I would suggest you get ahold of the DNR in Des Moines and get Director Chuck Gipp to get a directive out to the Game Wardens that this is a legal method of recovery.
Yes it takes time and several Phone Calls but it does pay off in the end. How do I know I worked with my State Legislature for three years to get a law on the books for Conservation in Iowa.
I also was responsible for getting Iowa Hunting Atlas on mobile devices to show the correct State line. Google Maps has the State line down the middle of the Missouri River. and this is incorrect as the river was straighten and shortened 18 miles. It is correct on the Iowa Hunting Atlas now. Why did I do this because even the Game Wardens did not know where the State Line was in some places.
It took a second year to do the Mississippi River also as Google was incorrect, they had the State line where the buoy's are where the main channel is for barge traffic. This was not the State Line when the States were formed.
Why does this matter I Duck hunt both rivers and Illinois and Wisconsin, both do not have a agreement with Iowa for joint use. So you have to hunt in the State you have a license for.
Nebraska does have a joint use so as a Resident of Iowa I can hunt both sides of the river but NonResidents do not have this and have to be licensed in the State they are hunting. ( My Brother form WA )
It is easy to complain about something but It takes time to make changes. I think you can handle this. Nice Deer and Good Hunting.

Thanks everybody. I’m in central Ia. I’m not sure what to think about the shed situation yet, I’ve been hearing of lots of people finding sheds and seeing/shooting shed bucks. It does seem like more than usual. I’m not sure if the cold November is responsible or not.

It's Gore's "Global Warming" that's to blame....or it's Trump's fault. Nice buck there, good work.

The Iowa DNR had a deer hunting Facebook live Q and A session right before the shotgun seasons this year. It was asked whether quartering in the field and packing was legal. Their answer was yes, but you must tag and telecheck the deer at the kill site and retain "all meat that is normally consumed." A pretty ambiguous answer in terms of what meat should be salvaged, but the short answer was yes it can be done.

The Iowa DNR had a deer hunting Facebook live Q and A session right before the shotgun seasons this year. It was asked whether quartering in the field and packing was legal. Their answer was yes, but you must tag and telecheck the deer at the kill site and retain "all meat that is normally consumed." A pretty ambiguous answer in terms of what meat should be salvaged, but the short answer was yes it can be done.

Yearh I've heard that one too. Missed the memo on the live Q&A, but I don't shotgun hunt so I'm not too worried about it. Any insight to the rationale behind telechecking it at the kill site? Like 1100Remington said, it would be nice if the DNR put some more info out on the matter so hunters could get consistent answers from county to county. In regards to the meat, it seems like a lot laws are left vague to give officers a chance to ticket people that are most likely committing more serious crimes that can't be proven. Maybe I'm way off though.

In regards to the meat, it seems like a lot laws are left vague to give officers a chance to ticket people that are most likely committing more serious crimes that can't be proven. Maybe I'm way off though.

I sense you might be right about that, but who knows.

As far as the reason for telechecking on site, they didn’t give any reason and I can’t even speculate why it would be different than telechecking a deer with body intact.

I have heard of game wardens interpreting some game laws differently because they are so vague. You can email the DNR office and ask the question and print the response. I imagine it would be hard to issue the ticket if you have a written answer stating otherwise.

I was wondering if anyone would challenge you for processing in the field and packing out. Not the first time I've heard it was illegal. Not surprised some DNR officers say it is. My plan was to telecheck and have confirmation number before breaking the animal down. Glad to see someone else chimed in about that. Regs say nothing about processing location.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back