2019-2020 NM Regs

I was just about to create my own thread but one big change is youth encouragement elk tags are no longer available to nonresidents. I never recalled reading that proposed change as I certainly would have submitted comments strongly opposed. It had become annual tradition for my parents and little sister to enjoy elk camp and this beautiful state. Alas, no more. Thanks NM Game Commission :mad:

Is that new? The requirement to purchase a non-refundable game hunting licence with any application?

$65. Sigh... :p:p

It will increase draw odds.... it will increase draw odds.. (if I say it enough, who knows, might make it true!)

Last edited:
I can’t believe the approved the measure to allow .22 caliber on all big game. Seems unethical. It’s always a step forward and back w NMDGF.

I can’t believe the approved the measure to allow .22 caliber on all big game. Seems unethical. It’s always a step forward and back w NMDGF.

wow. bust out the 55 grain 223? or a 38 special? for ELK? Sadly, there's probably somebody out there already chomping at the bit to shoot an elk at the farthest distance possible with the smallest bullet / load possible. 410 slug? I'm not even allowed to hunt deer with that at home.

Last edited:
wow. bust out the 55 grain 223? or a 38 special? for ELK? Sadly, there's probably somebody out there already chomping at the bit to shoot an elk at the farthest distance possible with the smallest bullet / load possible. 410 slug? I'm not even allowed to hunt deer with that at home.

I guarantee that there will be many youth hunters using a 223 or other low recoil 22 rifle this year for elk. NMDGF said this was to "make it easier...to enjoy the outdoors" but I objected during public comment asking "what is the right thing to do for the voiceless wildlife? how would the elk vote?".

You're probably right that a few nerds out there with a 22 Nosler or 224 already ready for the "challenge."

They've also made 22 cal air guns legal for cougar, javelina, and furbearers. No projectile velocity or mass requirements. And they've made the "bow only" definition more confusing by saying "Any bow." with no verb...then reaffirming that crossbows are for mobility impaired only. Yet the definition in the glossary remains the same. Bow is defined as "crossbow, longbow, or recurve" but this is inconsistent with the "Any bow." "sentence"...espcially considering some of the silly "archery" inventions you can find on the YouTube.

Hopefully people use some common sense and personal hunting ethics.

Let me rephrase that... I like what I'm reading about the changes to antelope... Not so much on some of the other things..

Regarding the antelope changes. Can a NR draw a hunt allocated 10 or fewer tags with the 6% quota? Wondering is those new public land hunts that now are split into 3 or 4 archery and rifle hunts, with 5-10 tags each(like units 13 and 17), will even be available to NR?

Will be the first in many years that I don't apply for New Mexico. It's not a good year for me to draw so I was going to just do Gila rifle tags, but I'm not going to fork over an extra $65.00 for low single digit odds. I would have for the old $13.00, though. Next year I'll be back in the game.

Regarding the antelope changes. Can a NR draw a hunt allocated 10 or fewer tags with the 6% quota? Wondering is those new public land hunts that now are split into 3 or 4 archery and rifle hunts, with 5-10 tags each(like units 13 and 17), will even be available to NR?
A great question; if the 6% cap precludes allotment of licenses to any hunt that has less than 16 tags, all of this new opportunity will not be near as inviting to NR’s as this new structure appeared to be at first glance. I’ll try to give New Mexico G&F a call tomorrow in an effort to determine this. I will say that I have no problem paying the license fee as this makes my decision to drop Utah altogether after applying there last year for the first time easier. On a limited budget, I have to be picky on whom I want to support and for me New Mexico is an easy choice for multiple reasons but in no small part due to my burgeoning pronghorn affliction.;)

I'll be in for my elk unit.Hoping the non-refundable $65 scares off a few.If I didn't draw last year and get to hunt there that little bit would have put me on the fence.Only because my darn kids like to eat 3 meals a day.I know, spoiled right!!

I did speak with NM G&F today and believe I understand the license allocation process better now as it really hasn't changed from last year; what's important to note is that the 6% of draw licenses that are awarded to nonresidents applying without a New Mexico registered outfitter is not directly applied to each available hunt code but rather is at least attempted to be met in aggregate; with that being said, one can see varying NR allocation percentages, which are contingent on the total number of apps by both Res and NR's, as you go down the hunt codes when looking at the drawing odds reports from at least the last 2 previous years. There are many instances of hunt codes with as few as 10 total tags available that have had licenses awarded to NR within the 6% cap category (Typically 1 NR license in the 10-15 total tag range); however, note that I didn't see any instances where there were any NR licenses awarded for hunt codes that had less than 10 total tags available at least for pronghorn. Hope this helps...

Ya I’m also going to pass on applying this year due to the non refundable $65+$12=$77 deal. Unless I get a group together to do an elk drop camp and get in the guided odds pool. Not worth it in the depleted 6% pool never drawn anything from that. Maybe worth it if you do multiple species there but I don’t.

Last edited:
I did speak with NM G&F today and believe I understand the license allocation process better now as it really hasn't changed from last year; what's important to note is that the 6% of draw licenses that are awarded to nonresidents applying without a New Mexico registered outfitter is not directly applied to each available hunt code but rather is at least attempted to be met in aggregate; with that being said, one can see varying NR allocation percentages, which are contingent on the total number of apps by both Res and NR's, as you go down the hunt codes when looking at the drawing odds reports from at least the last 2 previous years. There are many instances of hunt codes with as few as 10 total tags available that have had licenses awarded to NR within the 6% cap category (Typically 1 NR license in the 10-15 total tag range); however, note that I didn't see any instances where there were any NR licenses awarded for hunt codes that had less than 10 total tags available at least for pronghorn. Hope this helps...

Thanks Matt. Certainly will take this into consideration when applying. Applied for antelope in NM for 15+ years, never been drawn! Maybe this is the year.

Back