Yeti GOBOX Collection

Cross country ski recommendations?

Talk2elk

Hello everyone, I had a full knee replacement 2 yrs ago and was thinking of adding cross country skiing to my workout plan to get me outdoors during the winter. I have down hill skied for more than 40 years but I have never tried cross country. Any recommendations on equipment, I would mostly be skiing groomed trails here in SW Montana with an occasional off trail excursion once I gotten the hang of it. Thanks, Mike.

I would stick with a classic style ski, and probably at one of the backcountry models (they will provide you a little more float in softer snow). Being a beginner I would probably look a the waxless models. There used to be more of an advantage to a kickwax ski, but the grip patterns on the new waxless are really good.

As for boots, I like the tallest boot I can get. I use these, they are nice and have alot of support. https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/pro-combi-prolink.html#1191=12044

Find a good shop and have them set you up. If they aren't having you step on skis in the shop, they don't know what they are doing. Not all skis flex the same, and having a ski that doesn't grip and glide properly makes the experience pretty miserable.

If you are mainly skiing groomed tracks (especially those that have the 'railroad' track on one side of the trail) - I would just go with "normal" cross country skis. The "BC" style that are popular do have metal edges, but much less camber to them and don't track as well on groomers.

The step in style bindings are nice (SNS, etc) rather than the 3 pins.

I don't know your budget on skis, but comfortable boots will keep you in the game longer. Especially if you are just out for fun.

The "No-wax" has come a long way - but since you have lots of downhill experience - you can go to waxed ski's. You'll get much better glide, but there can be some frustrations with snow temps for your kick wax when you are starting out.

I went down this road last year. I ended up with Rossignol BC70 skis. They barely fit in tracks (groomed trails) and have metal edges for off-trail use. Another option would be Alpina 65 which would fit tracks better. The people that lead me to my decision said if you're going for a 1 pair system buy something that will fit tracks and have metal edges for BC use. If at all possible try on as many pairs of boots as you can...the Rossignol boots I got online rub my heels something fierce no matter what I do so I have to watch hotspots until I can find better boots or get this broke in better.

I strongly suggest heading up to Homestake Lodge to take a look at what they have. Renting skis is uber cheap. In fact, they are having a Free learn to XC ski day on Jan 19...everything is free for the day

I'll echo some of the comments above. If you are going to be using groomed trails with the Classic tracks set then make sure you get a ski that will fit in them. The back country specific skis can get wide.

My first set of skis were a combi ski (Skate / Classic combo). They are pretty narrow, but I have used them on every manner of trail or no trail for that manner in the back country. Without metal edges they get a little sketchy on an steep icy trail, but I haven't found a place yet where they didn't get me from point A to B.

These skis are the kind you have to put kickwax on, and if I had to do it over again I would go with the waxless (fish Scale) skis. To much hassle trying to match the wax to the snow condition. And they do not have metal edges.

And yes, don't buy a pair of skis that you haven't stood on and had someone evaluate it for the correct flex. Cross Country Skis are designed to ride on the tips and tails while balanced on them, the waxed or fish scale portion should not be in contact with the snow until you put your weight on a single ski.

So if you are looking for one pair of do all skis, I would opt for a standard waxless classic ski that will fit the groomed tracks. They will take you anywhere you'd want to go as a beginner/intermediate skiier.

Warning: Cross country skis are a bit like rifles -- following the limits of the laws of physics and pretty soon you will want a collection for every occasion. However, I recommend you consider Rossignol OT (off track) which are a bit longer and narrower than their BC (Backcountry.) They are my choice for groomed trails with some icy descents.

Warning: Cross country skis are a bit like rifles -- following the limits of the laws of physics and pretty soon you will want a collection for every occasion. However, I recommend you consider Rossignol OT (off track) which are a bit longer and narrower than their BC (Backcountry.) They are my choice for groomed trails with some icy descents.

Amen to this one. I have 6 different pairs... with 3 boot style choices... And if my wife reads this - I do use them all - just not at the same time.

Great thread! I've been looking for a set of cross country skis and since rented a couple occasions to get a feel for it. I like the scales type, the only type I've rented. Wax is extra involvement beyond my basic interest to use.

Anything specific to close gated roads / game trails vs "groomed trails" for the selection of skis?

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back