Caribou Gear

Fake meat and future of animals for food.

beginnerhunter

https://nypost.com/2019/01/09/how-a-veggie-burger-stole-the-show-at-ces-2019/

“This is the plant-based ‘meat’ that will eliminate the need for animals in the food chain and make the global food system sustainable,”

Obviously none of us quit hunting when we found out you could get meat from the store. But one of the moral justifications for hunting is that non-hunting meat eaters have "blood on their hands" same as us. They just don't see it happen. If fake-meat meat becomes economically competitive with regular meat, fake-meat eaters will be able to claim a moral high ground they don't have now. And while you may think humanity will never be able to create indistinguishable fake-meat, examine the small computer in your hand and rethink what is possible.

So if market forces eliminate the need for livestock and animal farming, will cultures still tolerate hunting as a tradition?

Doubt it. Fake meat could be a viable alternative to industrial type factory farms. But I think there will always be some demand for locally sourced, traditionally raised animals that will keep the actual meat industry alive. On that scale, small traditional meat producers would probably be more environmentally friendly than industrial fake lab meat. As long as that mentality is around hunting for food will probably see some level of acceptance.

80/20 blend? Yea well if they are mixing in 20% beef and beef fat to make it taste like meat that isn't meat free.

80/20 blend? Yea well if they are mixing in 20% beef and beef fat to make it taste like meat that isn't meat free.

Well, the author was saying it tasted like 80/20. Not that it had animal product. If I'm reading it correctly.

On that scale, small traditional meat producers would probably be more environmentally friendly than industrial fake lab meat.

While it may seem counter intuitive, large scale food production typically has a lower carbon/energy/water footprint than small scale local practices. I get other drivers to local/small/artisan, but "sustainable" is a red herring.

While it may seem counter intuitive, large scale food production typically has a lower carbon/energy/water footprint than small scale local practices. I get other drivers to local/small/artisan, but "sustainable" is a red herring.

Yeah, if you're talking about unit costs (in terms of resources used). But the overall footprint would probably be smaller. Sort of like me burning wood in a fireplace once or twice vs energy grid.

So maybe hunting/traditional ag would live on for the purpose of connecting us to the past while we mostly eat our Soylent green to live. We'll see.

Yep. Sustainable while feeding the masses is called GMO.

Well, the author was saying it tasted like 80/20. Not that it had animal product. If I'm reading it correctly.
When they use the word "blend" instead of something like 80% lean like you usually see I suspected the "blend" is blended with meat or fat. Could be wrong, but blend is a word left to interpretation.

Large scale food production has major issues for everyone involved. It's gotten out of control in the US and much like Wal Mart has ruined our main streets in communities big food has similar consequences. When you pick up a burger you have no idea what country the meat even came from in many cases. Even worse is much of the meat production in the USA is owned by China because we have more relaxed environmental rules so they can trash our country and make more money this way.

And we as taxpayers are paying for it.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busi...-producer-federal-bailout-20181023-story.html

And now that is a new one . . . .

yeah new to me too...

Smithfield is owned by the Chinese, BPI is owned by Brazilians, but they still have to operate according to FDA and USDA Rules. We in the US, have the safest food supply in the world.

These foreign investors are buying US companies because this is where the money and infrastructure is.

Prariehunter, you might have your wires crossed....

[video=youtube;pRA0c5A3Vjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRA0c5A3Vjg[/video] Fake meat replacing this? Ha!

yeah new to me too...

Smithfield is owned by the Chinese, BPI is owned by Brazilians, but they still have to operate according to FDA and USDA Rules. We in the US, have the safest food supply in the world.

These foreign investors are buying US companies because this is where the money and infrastructure is.

Prariehunter, you might have your wires crossed....

If you think Chinese and South American Companies owning huge food companies in the USA is a good thing you are the one with your wires crossed. Do some research on that industry and get back to me.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...th-carolina-like-the-developing-world-122892/
How lax regulation made it cheaper for China to outsource pork production – and all of its environmental and human costs – to the U.S.
Today, Smithfield sends more than a quarter of its pork abroad, especially to China, which received nearly 300,000 tons in 2016. Part of what made the company such an attractive target is that it’s about 50 percent cheaper to raise hogs in North Carolina than in China. This is due to less-expensive pig-feed prices and larger farms, but it’s also because of loose business and environmental regulations, especially in red states, which have made the U.S. an increasingly attractive place for foreign companies to offshore costly and harmful business practices.

It's not about providing a safe supply of food to us. So you just made a fool of yourself telling me my wires were crossed. Good job!

Last edited:
This may be an understatement.

If you care to make a valid point go for it, but so far I have showed you guys exactly what I am talking about. And I am completely right.

So what do you have to say for yourself?
https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...th-carolina-like-the-developing-world-122892/
How lax regulation made it cheaper for China to outsource pork production – and all of its environmental and human costs – to the U.S.
Today, Smithfield sends more than a quarter of its pork abroad, especially to China, which received nearly 300,000 tons in 2016. Part of what made the company such an attractive target is that it’s about 50 percent cheaper to raise hogs in North Carolina than in China. This is due to less-expensive pig-feed prices and larger farms, but it’s also because of loose business and environmental regulations, especially in red states, which have made the U.S. an increasingly attractive place for foreign companies to offshore costly and harmful business practices.

The meat industry is a complete mess. But if you want to believe that Chinese investors owning the biggest pork producers in the United States is a good thing for us consumers you are entitled to your opinion. But if you do some research you will find a lot of major problems with our food supply, especially big meat packing plants and foreign companies like Smithfield. Eating wild game or purchasing locally produced meat is a much better option IMO.

Last edited:
And now that is a new one . . . .

Sad, but true. Most people like yourself and others on this thread don't really understand what is going on with that industry. Once you start looking it becomes obvious how flawed the whole system is from a US consumer standpoint. It's naive to think that foreign investors care about US consumers. They are simply taking advantage of us.

Another example.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...acking-firm-usda-says/?utm_term=.b30c12d5e9f5

Its amazing what happens when folks demand a difference in the food they buy. In 2005 Western NC was criticized for "pushing" the buy local movement for foods and local ag. Farm Bureau criticized the idea and said that 'grassfed beef" was a fad and not sustainable economically. Here we are in 2019 leading the SE in it and have other areas coming in to discuss not only the beef side of it, but the local ag. Helped a famer the other week look at a conservation plan that farms on 2 acres with raised beds focusing on salad greens, Just got contracted to a large grocer in our area. Seen a lot of my traditional guys switching because of how the local and regional market is transitioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back