Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Corner Crossing: A Solution

I used the Public Lands dataset the State Library manages, which is derived from Montana's Cadastral dataset. I did not include BMAs, which would be interesting to see from year to year how they influence access to otherwise inaccessible parcels.

I would think you would need to cull out any isolated pieces of land currently in block management as those are accessible.
To categorically assert "those are accessible" is not accurate. No, those parcels are only accessible during specific periods of time, with specific provisions and with specific limitations in scope of access and number of public land owners able to access those public land parcels.

It's always been my belief that we should not allow private individuals access through public land parcels unless they return the favor. In the case of the Crazies, there are places where the public is paying to maintain roads they are not able to use. This would solve the vast majority of corner crossing issues. A man can dream can't he?

I've always liked this logic -- dream brother, dream.

This is going to be a pretty difficult exercise if you are relying on publicly available transportation data. As I understand it, the CWP report was based on the TIGER roads data. While a good place to start to uncover this issue, it has some accuracy limitations.

Good point. Tiger data is the last place I would look to. It is based on presence/absence rather than spatial correctness. Mapped for a different purpose.

This is going to be a pretty difficult exercise if you are relying on publicly available transportation data. As I understand it, the CWP report was based on the TIGER roads data. While a good place to start to uncover this issue, it has some accuracy limitations.

I agree about the transportation data.It would take a lot a QAQC to come up with an Accurate product. The Montana cadastral dataset, though flawed, is far more accurate than tiger data

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back