Missouri Breaks muley trip - Fort peck area?

Thank you for all with the serious help. Must of struck a nerve with a few of others.... Im not looking to shoot a giant muley, just a decent buck is fine. Its funny how this site works sometimes. One guy reported the unit we antelope hunt in in Wyoming is garbage he was out there for 5 days and got one shot, save your points, meanwhile Ive been out there twice and everyone in my party was tagged out by 3 pm the first day...

You will get into deer there no doubt about that. If you pick through them you can expect to find a decent buck. I agree with most of eastern Montana well Montana as a whole really is managed as an opportunity state with younger class deer. However I haven't hunted deer there in about 4 years now turned in my tag last year.

I think hunting from a boat would be difficult if the weather wasn't perfectly calm. Every time I've been out there the wind has been blowing. Seems like hell if you're trying to spot and judge bucks in a rocking boat with a spotting scope. A lot of dudes hunt 632, but there are a few deer around. They are just young. Even if you hunt hard, it will be difficult to find one bigger than 150".

All kidding aside I'm sure if you came out and put boots to the ground in that country odds are you'll find something your happy with. I made the comment earlier about 652 because that's no joke. It's a special mule deer area and yet every day theres one or two people that just "didn't know it was." Lately its been getting patrolled harder. The fact of the matter is guys or gals think they're gonna come out and walk into a 180" typical, sometimes it happens but more times not it doesn't. My guess, and I know a little bit about the area, is that theres probably only a handful of solid mature mule deer bucks in that area. Sure there are "nice ones" but a real 5 or 6 year old buck or older is damn hard to come by anymore. Good luck to you and your friend. Just don't bring 20 guys back with ya the next season. I've seen that type of stuff happen too many times, that's what ruins these areas.

I have been doing that hunt for years, couple things to consider if you do this hunt is the weather. If the roads are wet it can suck really bad (bring chains). Don't plan on being out on the lake if the winds pick up and they will a couple times during your trip. If you want a decent but plan on spending a week looking through deer. A good majority of people both hunting and local out in that area are not big fans of anyone that is not from the area that includes western Montana people, from my experience. Its a great hunt though if you don't have expectations of a 200" deer. I have not seen the numbers of big deer out there like I have in the past but I see one or two every year that keeps me going back.

You will get into deer there no doubt about that. If you pick through them you can expect to find a decent buck. I agree with most of eastern Montana well Montana as a whole really is managed as an opportunity state with younger class deer. However I haven't hunted deer there in about 4 years now turned in my tag last year.

I think you might be surprised how much it's changed in those 4 years. I hunted the area you and I've talked about this year for 9 days dawn to dusk, and saw a total of 2 4x4 bucks on public land. It was pretty shocking.

I think you might be surprised how much it's changed in those 4 years. I hunted the area you and I've talked about this year for 9 days dawn to dusk, and saw a total of 2 4x4 bucks on public land. It was pretty shocking.

Wow Randy I hate to hear that. I was wondering if that bad winter wiped them out and I'm sure the hunting pressure didn't help any. I saw a few really nice bucks on that last trip out. Still awesome country to beat around in. I've seen them nailed twice since I've been coming out. Hopefully it gets better soon. I wish MTFWP would take those winters into account and adjust hunts. Just not going to happen though.

Or, you could just call this Oklahoma City based outfitter who hunts the lake shore and the PUBLIC CMR HARD! Maybe he could find you that decent buck that you are after. 4 day hunt is only $3,600!

http://landwehroutfitters.com/mule-deer-hunts/

If his info is correct, he’ll even put you up in a mobile home just outside the big town of Jordan!
Montana is really in need of going to a permit draw for the hunting of ALL species in ALL units of this great state!

Or, you could just call this Oklahoma City based outfitter who hunts the lake shore and the PUBLIC CMR HARD! Maybe he could find you that decent buck that you are after. 4 day hunt is only $3,600!

http://landwehroutfitters.com/mule-deer-hunts/

If his info is correct, he’ll even put you up in a mobile home just outside the big town of Jordan!
Montana is really in need of going to a permit draw for the hunting of ALL species in ALL units of this great state!

Landwehr Outfitters is a second generation outfitting business. ?We specialize in Mule Deer, Antelope, and Elk rifle and archery hunts. ?We have been in business over 30 years. ?Our hunter success rate is high and shooting opportunity is close to 100%.

Our hunts take place in the Missouri River Breaks area in eastern Montana. ?This area is famous for its scenery and plentiful game. ?We also have access to several private ranches.

Our operation is relatively small. ?We feel we can better serve our guests this way. ?We average six guests per hunt, but can handle parties of eight or more. ?I have hunted the area since 1980, and my guides have many years of experience in the area. ?Our knowledge of the area and our expertise ensure a great hunt.

Our base of operations is a house and adjacent mobile home just outside of Jordan, Montana. ?Jordan is located 175 miles northeast of Billings, MT. ?You can count on a hot shower and warm bed to sleep in after a long day’s hunt. ?Our kitchen is well equipped and there is plenty of great food. ?WiFi connections are available as well as HDTV to watch ball games.

In addition to the big game hunting, we also offer predator hunts, varmint hunts, and waterfowl hunting. ?Coyotes, red fox, and prairie dogs are plentiful in our area. ?Tremendous numbers of ducks and geese migrate through the area, and we offer some great hunts for them!

Poor guys aren't even sure what they're up to apparently. That's a lot of question marks.(?)

http://landwehroutfitters.com/about-us/

Think that is the other half of Carl Mann's operation from years ago. They have been in the breaks a long time. No way I'd ever pay for a guided trip there only to be driven around on public land. LOL Guess they hunt opposite sides of the lake now after the split��

Wait I thought you all said the breaks dont have muleys and it sucks ? That guide looks like he does alright .. .

If you are going to bring a boat I would bring my fishing gear. The deer hunting might not be great but the fishing could be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back