Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Missouri Breaks muley trip - Fort peck area?

Me and a buddy are thinking about heading up to this area this fall to try our hand at muley hunting . We are thinking about taking a boat and hitting the hard to access areas. Anyone have any luck up this way or what to expect? Looks like some rough terrain which is good. Thinking about camping from the boat. Some says it got hit hard in the past by blue tongue, has it recovered any ? Can we draw on zero points ? Willing to trade info on Antelope. Open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for any help.

Andy
    Last edited by isu22andy; 01-09-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Antelope info for Iowa?
    "I'll put some whiskey into my whiskey"

Quote Originally Posted by Schaaf View Post
    Antelope info for Iowa?
    Haha no Wyoming . I could probably offer a starting point for archery whitetails in western iowa though on some public. Only hunted it a hand full of times .

My advice is to not hunt 652 without a permit and hunt a little farther in then Songdog did Good Luck!
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

Thanks for the replies. Looks like songdog did alright! Anyone else have trouble reading the draw stats for Montana ? The unit I want to hunt 632 isnt listed. 630-20 is ? Ive never hunted Montana before but have in Wyoming . Wyoming draw stats are easy to read. Maybe Im slow??

A lot of people do the boat hunt around Peck - I think there were some threads during/after hunting season that could give you an idea of the quality you should expect

Quote Originally Posted by EYJONAS! View Post
    My advice is to not hunt 652 without a permit and hunt a little farther in then Songdog did
    Zinger.

this is an idea many have, you'll still have competition and in my opinion there is better places to hunt in Montana.
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

A lot of people have the same idea as you imo. I would much rather hunt that country from a vehicle then have to worry about trying to find a bay out of the wind to park your boat. Depending on the pressure it can be a challenge just to find a bay that doesn't already have a boat or camp setup in it.

Quote Originally Posted by CampRipleyLF View Post
    there is better places to hunt in Montana.
    Exactly. I would head to the Custer if I were you. Easy to get away from people and the age class is tremendous. No need for a boat. Just be prepared for a huge taxidermy bill when you get home!

Hmm. Well I was just going off a lead I got from a fella I drank some beers with in Wyoming that has hunted the area before and done well. I guess Ill have to reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
    Exactly. I would head to the Custer if I were you. Easy to get away from people and the age class is tremendous. No need for a boat. Just be prepared for a huge taxidermy bill when you get home!
    The only Custer I know of is in SE Montana? Is that the area you are talking about ? We dipped into it bow hunting in NW South Dakota but didnt see much due to it being so thick, The whole spot and stalk game was tough there but maybe we didnt give it a fair opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by isu22andy View Post
    The only Custer I know of is in SE Montana? Is that the area you are talking about ? We dipped into it bow hunting in NW South Dakota but didnt see much due to it being so thick, The whole spot and stalk game was tough there but maybe we didnt give it a fair opportunity.
    He’s being facetious. SE Montana deer hunting is a bit of polarizing subject here.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stretcher_Jockey View Post
    He’s being facetious. SE Montana deer hunting is a bit of polarizing subject here.
    I know its early yet, but understatement of the year...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Stretcher_Jockey View Post
    Hes being facetious. SE Montana deer hunting is a bit of polarizing subject here.
    As are muley hunting the Breaks, mule deer doe hunting, cow elk hunting, hunting bucks less than 10 years old, hunting during the rut, yada yada yada

You've stumbled into some reaaaaaaalllll sensitive subjects around here.

I've been trying to con my friends with boats to do something similar for years with no success. Not sure if the hunting is super or not, but I wanted to see the country and thought it would be fun to do something different.

Hunted it many times I'd leave the boat at home and put on the hiking boots checking out glassing spots all day. The biggest buck I killed was laying within shooting distance of the road tucked away hiding. They are smart in that country lots of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by EYJONAS! View Post
    My advice is to not hunt 652 without a permit and hunt a little farther in then Songdog did Good Luck!
    I'd say this is great advise by just guessing. Read those regs closely and understand them. Also fyi being on the cmr read those regs also published by them seasons and rules vary from the state's in some units last time I checked.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by brownbear932008 View Post
    I'd say this is great advise by just guessing. Read those regs closely and understand them. Also fyi being on the cmr read those regs also published by them seasons and rules vary from the state's in some units last time I checked.
    Season dates are now same as the states for mule deer on the cmr. Just FYI . It changed last year, used to be that it closed two weeks earlier than state but not anymore

Shoot, if I were you I'd be putting in for that Bridger buck tag. Join their little mule deer foundation chapter and bingo your into some serious high country action. Eastern Montana whether it be north or south anything east of highway 87 and 19 been played out for years.

Thank you for all with the serious help. Must of struck a nerve with a few of others.... Im not looking to shoot a giant muley, just a decent buck is fine. Its funny how this site works sometimes. One guy reported the unit we antelope hunt in in Wyoming is garbage he was out there for 5 days and got one shot, save your points, meanwhile Ive been out there twice and everyone in my party was tagged out by 3 pm the first day...

You will get into deer there no doubt about that. If you pick through them you can expect to find a decent buck. I agree with most of eastern Montana well Montana as a whole really is managed as an opportunity state with younger class deer. However I haven't hunted deer there in about 4 years now turned in my tag last year.

I think hunting from a boat would be difficult if the weather wasn't perfectly calm. Every time I've been out there the wind has been blowing. Seems like hell if you're trying to spot and judge bucks in a rocking boat with a spotting scope. A lot of dudes hunt 632, but there are a few deer around. They are just young. Even if you hunt hard, it will be difficult to find one bigger than 150".

All kidding aside I'm sure if you came out and put boots to the ground in that country odds are you'll find something your happy with. I made the comment earlier about 652 because that's no joke. It's a special mule deer area and yet every day theres one or two people that just "didn't know it was." Lately its been getting patrolled harder. The fact of the matter is guys or gals think they're gonna come out and walk into a 180" typical, sometimes it happens but more times not it doesn't. My guess, and I know a little bit about the area, is that theres probably only a handful of solid mature mule deer bucks in that area. Sure there are "nice ones" but a real 5 or 6 year old buck or older is damn hard to come by anymore. Good luck to you and your friend. Just don't bring 20 guys back with ya the next season. I've seen that type of stuff happen too many times, that's what ruins these areas.

25. Default

I have been doing that hunt for years, couple things to consider if you do this hunt is the weather. If the roads are wet it can suck really bad (bring chains). Don't plan on being out on the lake if the winds pick up and they will a couple times during your trip. If you want a decent but plan on spending a week looking through deer. A good majority of people both hunting and local out in that area are not big fans of anyone that is not from the area that includes western Montana people, from my experience. Its a great hunt though if you don't have expectations of a 200" deer. I have not seen the numbers of big deer out there like I have in the past but I see one or two every year that keeps me going back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast