U.S. supreme Court case - Big decision ahead

Really?

Because being born well after the 1800's I have absolutely ZERO to do with any of that. So now I can't hold an opinion on all those dead bucks I find in the Fort Peck Reservation coulees while I'm pheasant hunting? Or the fact that I can count on one hand the number of deer I've seen on the Blackfeet Reservation while driving through it for the last 25 years? Poached and left to rot? Hunted nearly to local extinction?

Sorry, not gonna keep from forming an opinion because of white guilt.

Good point. Shouldn't let racism erode clear perspective on this or any other issue.

Really?

Because being born well after the 1800's I have absolutely ZERO to do with any of that. So now I can't hold an opinion on all those dead bucks I find in the Fort Peck Reservation coulees while I'm pheasant hunting? Or the fact that I can count on one hand the number of deer I've seen on the Blackfeet Reservation while driving through it for the last 25 years? Poached and left to rot? Hunted nearly to local extinction?

Sorry, not gonna keep from forming an opinion because of white guilt.

Never said you killed a bison in the 1840s, never said you cant' hold an opinion, never said you couldn't count deer from the road. In fact I agreed with the assertions of BWalker, just tried to say that we all should carry a little history, humility and empathy with us when we seized the high moral ground.

In fact I agreed with the assertions of BWalker, just tried to say that we all should carry a little history, humility and empathy with us when we seized the high moral ground.

Well on moral issues, I'd tend to agree. But biology should be fact and science based, and I don't have any room for morals in that realm.

Conservation and Game Ethics should rule the future.We all would benefit Hands down game management is the key.:cool:

Well on moral issues, I'd tend to agree. But biology should be fact and science based, and I don't have any room for morals in that realm.

When "morals" are at play we need to double our attention towards humility and empathy - what's happening in the reservations in 2019 and how we got their over the last 150 years has extremely little to do with biology. The eco-morality of 2019 in the US and Europe is a rich man's game, and few of our reservations are well positioned in that respect.

When "morals" are at play we need to double our attention towards humility and empathy - what's happening in the reservations in 2019 and how we got their over the last 150 years has extremely little to do with biology. The eco-morality of 2019 in the US and Europe is a rich man's game, and few of our reservations are well positioned in that respect.

I'm not even sure what all that means, but this is my last post on the subject.

I think our herds need to be managed for healthy age classes and populations as close to the carrying capacity of the land as possible. If that can be done while offering natives all the off-reservation hunting opportunity they want then that is great. But based off what I have seen, I do not trust Montana tribes to keep themselves in check if state management ceases to exist.

How many times do the sons have to pay for their fathers indiscretions?

ClearCreek

The other thing worth noting is that Mr. Herrara IIRC cut the head off the elk he left in wyoming and left the rest of it to rot. It's also worth noting that at the time he was a Crow Tribal so called game warden.

Last edited:
The other thing worth noting is that Mr. Herrara IIRC cut the head off the elk he left in wyoming and left it to rot. It's also worth noting that at the time he was a Crow Tribal so called game warden.

At the time he was the game warden supervisor for the Crow tribe.

ClearCeek

So they get all the rights and privileges of a United States citizen, and all the rights and privileges of ANY states citizenship (no nonresident draw, no non residents WY Wilderness restriction), AND all the benefits of the Indian Nation.

Nice deal. They must have had a HUGE advantage at the negotiating table. Ridiculous.

I expect that they had no idea what things would be like 150 years later.

Change. Adapt. Innovate. Improve. Evolve. Survive.

I am a parent. I relocated from the Midwest to the West where knew no one. But, lots of opportunity awaited. Would have been very comfortable to stay in the Midwest near family and school buddies. I wanted a better life for my kids.

I never quite accept the parent in inner Chicago where a murder takes place daily and someone is shot every hour staying put in that neighborhood.

I never quite accept the reasoning of a parent staying on a reservation where substance abuse and assault spans generations in some families. I work with a man 75% Crow and 25% Lakota. His parents left and he benefited as did his siblings and the parents. They go back each summer to visit cousins and he sees what could have been his outcome if parents had stayed. Handout arrives, spend, wait for next handout. Education is not a priority. The weak are preyed upon. Corruption and special treatment are the norm.

New day, same old crap in some places. To stay and complain about the 1800s or 1900s seems like the guy pushing the boulder up the hill for eternity. A lot of effort hating the system but no lasting results. Tomorrow will likely be just as crappy as yesterday while years pass as are waiting for someone else to fix the issues. Generational failure in families, often by 100% of each generation.

Again, Change. Adapt. Innovate. Improve. Evolve. Survive.

Will be interesting to follow the outcome of this one. Lots of solid analysis on here. Refreshing since on a lot of hunting websites discussion about this kind of issue quickly results in racial banter

Change. Adapt. Innovate. Improve. Evolve. Survive.

I am a parent. I relocated from the Midwest to the West where knew no one. But, lots of opportunity awaited. Would have been very comfortable to stay in the Midwest near family and school buddies. I wanted a better life for my kids.

I never quite accept the parent in inner Chicago where a murder takes place daily and someone is shot every hour staying put in that neighborhood.

I never quite accept the reasoning of a parent staying on a reservation where substance abuse and assault spans generations in some families. I work with a man 75% Crow and 25% Lakota. His parents left and he benefited as did his siblings and the parents. They go back each summer to visit cousins and he sees what could have been his outcome if parents had stayed. Handout arrives, spend, wait for next handout. Education is not a priority. The weak are preyed upon. Corruption and special treatment are the norm.

New day, same old crap in some places. To stay and complain about the 1800s or 1900s seems like the guy pushing the boulder up the hill for eternity. A lot of effort hating the system but no lasting results. Tomorrow will likely be just as crappy as yesterday while years pass as are waiting for someone else to fix the issues. Generational failure in families, often by 100% of each generation.

Again, Change. Adapt. Innovate. Improve. Evolve. Survive.

You said it much better then I could.

If anybody is looking for a good USFS coyote hunt.. this is the place for it - before/during the tribal command center pow-wow every morning at Beattie Gultch.

57191C8C-99EC-437C-A679-23BB6DD5FF98.jpg

Last edited:
I follow Huntin the Rez on social media. Much to learn about hunting and culture from our Native American brothers. Foodies take note.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back