Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Applicant Totals at Each Point Level

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I knew this feature was in the works, but wanted to see it in action before posting it here. Many of you are probably like me, wishing you could see how many people applied at each point level for the Wyoming non-resident draws. Now you can.

If you have max points or you are applying for a unit that requires far less points that you currently have, this new feature is probably not a big deal. If you are in my situation and you have low elk and pronghorn points, this information is very helpful when trying to predict what units you could actually have a chance to draw.

Normally, all you have is what the WY G&F reports say. It looks something like this, without any detail. All you knew was that 82 people with less than 10 points did not draw.

WY Sample.jpg

As part of their draw odds, goHUNT now has that information showing applicant numbers by each point total. It looks like this for the same unit I have highlighted above. Now we know how many of those 82 applicants were at each point total.

goHUNT point totals.jpg

Having this sort of information, along with the most accurate draw odds, right at my fingertips, and the ability to sort and filter all this data is why I spend so much time on the INSIDER. If you do sign up, you can get $50 of free credit in their Gear Shop by using our promo code "RANDY."

Hope you all draw your Wyoming tags this year, just don't take mine. Remember the non-resident elk deadline is January 31.

It's helpful and depressing at the same time.

LOL.. That top chart puts point creep into perspective. This is a good tool for those getting into the game and those looking if they might get out. Thanks for putting this up Randy

Im looking at a Non-resident General tag in Area 6 for 2019. Based on 2018, it appears that if I applied for the Special tag then I could draw with 2 preference points. Does that look correct?

Im looking at a Non-resident General tag in Area 6 for 2019. Based on 2018, it appears that if I applied for the Special tag then I could draw with 2 preference points. Does that look correct?

Assuming you’re talking about Wyoming elk, yes you should draw. Do you have access to private in area 6 or why there? The general elk tag is good for any general unit in the state

If this information is available to goHunt would it not be available to anyone who knew where to look or where to request it?

Interesting in that you can get a handle on how many new applications there were for a given draw code. For example if you look at the total number of applications with zero for the special elk draws in all units you will see a net decline in applications for that that draw. The special general was down a couple hundred alone. It may give a glimmer as how applications shift around because of the recent price increases.

Interesting in that you can get a handle on how many new applications there were for a given draw code. For example if you look at the total number of applications with zero for the special elk draws in all units you will see a net decline in applications for that that draw. The special general was down a couple hundred alone. It may give a glimmer as how applications shift around because of the recent price increases.

Bingo. The decline in WY is on and will accelerate the next decade. The PR of "record number of applications in 2018" can't hide that there is a price point resistance that arose during what was a great economy after multi-year stock market climb and real estate valuation climb that simply has to slow or ebb. The number of years to draw the same quality tag you just drew in WY in 2018 will take many years more to redraw than took in 2018. That growing wait for elk and deer tags hits a trigger point for savvy applicants that do the math looking at expected cost for that many years and that as a non-resident you have to be very optimistic to think the real dollar cost will not be even more than you see at current prices. The average age of big game hunter is climbing.

That is a bad mix of factors to overcome now if you are WY F&G or residents. Someone has to pay the cost of F&G. When F&G spends every dollar year to year then a lot of pressure builds to never cut tag numbers and to increase the average cost for an applicant to apply since only have so many tags to sell even if those tag prices go up like bison and elk have recently at well beyond the rate of inflation.

Should be interesting.

I'd bet there's likely a way to get this information without paying $149 for the convenient tables.

Point only applications aren't included in a demand report.

Virtually all western draw databases are public info, cost will depend on the state. Gohunt formats their data to limit print space, which works for most hunts. I would suggest they don't do that for the GEN hunts, there can be a big difference between 2.1666 and 2.6667 if you're doing a party app. Looks like more value added to me.

Last edited:
Bingo. The decline in WY is on and will accelerate the next decade..

Huh? The number of NRs going into this year's elk draw with preference points is up about 20,000 compared to just 2 years ago. Antelope is about the same. How is that a decline?

Just a few years ago, you could draw the general elk tag as a 2nd choice. And that was when the tag was a couple hundred bucks CHEAPER. Now you no longer can.

Sure, some people will burn their points and then be done with the point game but there are a pile of people entering the points game each year.

Back