Best tasting wild game

^^^ That’s a good question! Crane a duck are quite a bit different from goose, so it’s certainly possible, but they’re also feeding differently.

I forgot to mention coots until I saw it in someone’s post. It was near the bottom for them. Personally I love coots. I put them right under crane, which was quite high one my list. I’ve only had them twice, and only ate the breast. Just plopped them on the grill and ate them rare. The first time I was told not shoot them because “they’re nasty”. After asking around, no one there had ever actually eaten one. They are related to cranes, so I figured grilling the breasts rare with a little steak seasoning was the way to go. It was quite tasty. Coot and crane are pretty close to beef.

I haven't eaten much western game, but I grew up on venison, ducks and small game back in NY.
My list:
Elk
Teal - Really tied for 1st with Elk
Wood Duck
Antelope
Wigeon
Ruffed Grouse
Whitetail
Mallard
Goose - Either Canada or a Snow shot in the fall
Moose - Only ate it 2x, once in a burger in VT that was horrible, and again in ID in enchiladas so no good basis for how it tastes straight

Moose has been my favorite so far. But, I echo some of the mixed reviews with many of the deer I've eaten. Field care and diet obviously play a role. But, I wonder if genetics from region to region have anything to do with it? I'll definitely agree with the fans of alfalfa fed deer; but have had some off federal land that were almost as good.

I don't really hunt ducks and geese; but had a question for you waterfowl enthusiasts: Is it possible to salvage any type of fois gras from wild birds??? I really like to order it in restaurants and wondered if it might be worth trying on some wild species down the road.

Swan has come up several times. Is it really any different than a Canada goose? I should think we are not terribly far off from having a Trumpeter Swan season here. Damn, they are big!

I cooked a tundra swan for my family, and most if all of them don't like duck, they all asked what is was and when I told them it was swan they were amazed. They all enjoyed it.

Fois Gras ducks are force fed until they have a fatty liver if I’m not mistaken. If you like liver, you might still like duck liver, but I wouldn’t know. I’ve never had either. I’m not a fan of chicken liver, dove liver or crane liver, so I haven’t branched out beyond that.

I wonder the same thing about deer. My whitetails have never tasted as good as mule deer, but the whitetails were eating on oat fields and hitting people deer feeders, so I would have thought they would be as good as a whitetail could get. The muledeer have been eating cotton, wheat, and/or whatever grasses and forbs they eat naturally. Honestly, the cotton mulie was the tastiest.

Moose has been my favorite so far. But, I echo some of the mixed reviews with many of the deer I've eaten. Field care and diet obviously play a role. But, I wonder if genetics from region to region have anything to do with it? I'll definitely agree with the fans of alfalfa fed deer; but have had some off federal land that were almost as good.

I don't really hunt ducks and geese; but had a question for you waterfowl enthusiasts: Is it possible to salvage any type of fois gras from wild birds??? I really like to order it in restaurants and wondered if it might be worth trying on some wild species down the road.

That depends entirely on what "Fois Gras" means

Fois Gras ducks are force fed until they have a fatty liver if I’m not mistaken. If you like liver, you might still like duck liver, but I wouldn’t know. I’ve never had either. I’m not a fan of chicken liver, dove liver or crane liver, so I haven’t branched out beyond that.

I wonder the same thing about deer. My whitetails have never tasted as good as mule deer, but the whitetails were eating on oat fields and hitting people deer feeders, so I would have thought they would be as good as a whitetail could get. The muledeer have been eating cotton, wheat, and/or whatever grasses and forbs they eat naturally. Honestly, the cotton mulie was the tastiest.

With my limited background, I think whitetails taste better, but my only muley was a young doe (About 1.5 yrs old by her teeth) that I hit with my truck in ID. To me she ate like an older NY Whitetail buck, she was even tenderized at 55

With my limited background, I think whitetails taste better, but my only muley was a young doe (About 1.5 yrs old by her teeth) that I hit with my truck in ID. To me she ate like an older NY Whitetail buck, she was even tenderized at 55

A lot of others on the forum have put whitetails in front of muledeer, but the people I talk to around here that have eaten both usually prefer mule deer. I wonder if the different regions are making different tasting deer, or if they are making people with different preferences.

That depends entirely on what "Fois Gras" means
I was just thinking goose liver. I personally can't take any other varieties (chicken, beef, etc.) wild or domestic. Never know if someone's got a good secret and I'm usually willing to try some new things.

I forgot to include it in my other post, but you're absolutely right about the fresh salmon.

I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Very interesting and varied taste buds among us.

Someone ask what has been some of the strangest I was able and not able to eat

Some items others consider strange, I grew up eating---rattlesnake, rocky mountain oysters, frog legs, but others came from our travels. I liked various things and dont remember them all, but do remember liking Termites and cane rats in Africa, Moose nose in Canada, Escargot in France, Turtle soup and oysters on the half shell in New Orleans was the first place I had them.

Most of the stuff I would not eat was when we were in Asia. Rotten eggs, tuna eye balls, spiders, worms, Dog---In Australia I didn't like kangaroo and I was never drunk enough to eat the worm in the Tequila bottle in Mexico LOL

Last edited:
I liked the fermented trout in Norge, kangaroo in Australia, but did not care at all for the sea cucumbers of Taipei. I have not tried most of the more exotic things on your list though.

Thanks to ImBillT for inviting me on a crane hunt last weekend I can now put Crane on my list.

Still haven't figured out exactly how to describe it other than very good. Almost like deer tenderloin. Just lightly spiced and grilled it. Both the wife and kid thought it was good as well.

Not sure exactly where it would go on my pecking order but somewhere right above or below deer, probably depending on the cut of deer we are talking about.

With that said I've only eaten the breast of the crane, my verdict my change after eating some of the rest of it.

I'm old & forget how half the game I have eaten, tastes...currant list.
Elk
Coues deer
Mule deer
Wild pig
Mountain lion
Grouse
Turkey
Sandhill crane
Bandtail pigeon
Quail
Antelope
Fish....too many to name.
I used to raise livestock & birds but not in 10 yrs. Most of the local beef is very tough, like longhorn. Pork is hard to get outside a store.
I have been trading elk for some good cuts of beef with a couple ranchers the last few years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back