PEAX Equipment

Best tasting wild game

Europe

I have been asked what is my favorite. And that is really a hard one to answer. Growing up on a ranch in Arizona, we ate Rocky mountain oysters at an early age, but when I got to college people thought that was a bit weird. I also visited an aunt in Louisiana at an early age and ate and enjoyed frog legs, alligator, etc. Later in life I tried and liked deep fried termites in Africa and even moose nose when visiting in Canada's territories. But I HATED Walrus---so I think everyone is going to have a different opinion on this one.

Obviously it also depends on who fixes it, how they fix it, the age of the animal, the season, the sex of the animal, their diet--ie, a bear who has only eaten berries in the spring vs one who is eating dead fish----etc etc------with all that being said (-: And, you ask for ten so I am going to throw in two birds

Dall Sheep
Lynx
Coues Deer
Zebra

then Bison, Muskox, Moose, Elk in no particular order

plus Ruffled Grouse and Sandhill Cranes.

-----so I am curious what is YOUR favorite gentlemen ?

I have also noticed several have hunted Africa and Alaska, so I am curious what you gentlemen list as your favorites.

I also want to thank you gentlemen and hunting wife for your kindness to an old women who can no longer hunt but enjoys reading your stories/posts/.threads--thank you

Last edited:
Cranes round out the bottom of my list. Prep might account for that.

Moose are number one followed by pronghorn among all things with hooves including African unguligrades. Or al least those I have tasted.

But far above them all is the fox squirrel.

In order.....

Oryx/Gemsbok
moose
elk
antelope
bighorn ewe
dall
dove
white tail
mountain lion
bear
desert sheep
turkey
rattle snake
duck
goose
rocky mountain goat
mule deer
javelina
aoudad
skunk
possum

Last edited:
Oryx is indeed good and tender too.

Top 5 (Only includes what I myself have taken)

Scallops
Mallards (you really can't lump all ducks together) :)
Pronghorn
Quail/Chukar
California yellowtail

Last edited:
Oryx is fantastic and tops my list for flavor, but the one I shot was tough. Of the rest I have tasted or shot:
Moose
Wild hog
Elk
Caribou out of the rut
lope
BH sheep
WT deer/Muley (tie)
bear
Wet cardboard
rotten bread
worms
pulpwood
tag soup
vomit
Javelina........
caribou in the rut

Last edited:
Elk
Antelope
Ruffed Grouse
(corn-fed beef for reference)
Ostrich
Bison
Kangaroo
Turkey
Pheasants
Walleye
Lake Trout
Whitetail deer
Duck
Goose

Elk
Antelope
Ruffed Grouse
(corn-fed beef for reference)
Ostrich
Bison
Kangaroo
Turkey
Pheasants
Walleye
Lake Trout
Whitetail deer
Duck
Goose

Turkey down must be be rough if they're beaten out by kangaroo! It's not bad but wouldn't eat it over any deer species.

My freshmen year in college I once started that I had tried groundhog. Someone asked what it tasted like and I said squirrel......it never occurred that someone had never tried squirrel.

Pronghorn
Pre rut mule deer
Whitetail
Pidgeon
Turkey

Musta' been the chef that ruined the walleye too:D
Below totally tasteless turkey? hmm, hmm, hmm..........

More turf than surf kinda guy I guess. But eaten lots of walleye & trout minutes after the catch - great memories, so-so food.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back