Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Index release ideas or opinions

Badger_55

I am in the market for looking for a new release. I have been shooting a Spot Hogg Wise Guy with the rigid stem. Initially I really like this release as I was able to adjust the trigger. I shot it very well initially but I caught myself getting hit along side of the head with some type of target panic while I was in hunting camp. I felt like I was really punching the trigger at times and started to play head games with myself. After looking back and thinking what I would like to do is maybe go back to a wrist strap release that has a strap that connects the caliper instead of the rigid one piece as I am second guessing possible torque in my string. Also I have shot my best when I can control the shot more with my draw elbow. I have been looking at Carters more specifically "Like Mike". Any good reccomendations out there from you guys. I can stiffen up the Wise Guy trigger but I still feel like I want to go back to a strap style that isnt so rigid.
Thanks

Releases can be funny, and it seems like the longer you shot one, the bad habits start to creep in.

I shoot the same Spot Hogg Wiseguy (the rigid one) that you do for hunting. I have never like the wrist strap releases with the flexible necks, but that is just personal preference.

During the summer, I shoot a hinge style back tension release. It seems like this does alot to reinforce good overall habits, and when I switch back to the wrist strap a couple weeks before hunting season, I am shooting the Wiseguy great. I have a Truball HT hinge, and it is a great option.

I have also shot the Wiseguy release and was never comfortable with the wide body, trigger was good though. I now shoot a Tru Ball Fang which has a rigid body but is so much thinner and round and I really like it. For me if I am dealing with some target panic getting close to a big target and taking several shots with my eyes closed and focusing on pulling with my back muscles has really helped.

Spot Hogg makes this release in the rigid as well as the dangle strap connecting from the wrist to the trigger release. If you like the the trigger feel of the wiseguy but want the different connector, this could be an option. I don't think you'll kick target panic with the wrist strap no matter the brand. Like MinnesotaHunter stated, practicing with the hinge or a tension activated release, this will set you up as a better archer if and when you go back to the wrist strap. I've got the wiseguy release but 99% of practice is with a tension activated release. This release also makes shooting the compound fun again. Good luck on your quest.

I shoot a Tru Ball Fang 4 and really like it, switched from an index style release about 4 years ago. I feel I shoot better and like not having a release around my wrist all the time while hunting. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will increase the trigger pull tension. Seems like when I make small subtle changes it helps me get back to form. I can see how practicing with the tension release would help.

Google John Dudley. His system works well for target panic.

I have a silver back, nock2it and a Tru Fire Hardcore. I shoot the first two for practice and then tend to go back to the index for hunting.

Google John Dudley. His system works well for target panic.

I have a silver back, nock2it and a Tru Fire Hardcore. I shoot the first two for practice and then tend to go back to the index for hunting.

Exactly what I was going to say.

If you have even the least bit of target panic then you owe it to yourself to try Nock On's releases. The Silverback (tension activated) coupled with the Nock2it (thumb release) is a great combo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back