Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Most memorable, most difficult,

Europe

I am somewhat reluctant to post this, although several have ask me to do so.

The most memorable might be the most memorable for a variety of reasons , and is usually connected to hunting with family in one way or another, some pure adrenalin hunts, some the scenery, etc.

But these hunts would certainly be on the list of "memorable" hunts., for me.

Dall Sheep,--- scenery, and the spike camp,
Big Horn Sheep in Mexico--- The dog handler had just escaped from a mental institution ( not really, but maybe ) and rattlesnakes
Capaceillia --Hunting on ski's ( Sweden )
Muskox --Dog sled, terrain, getting to them. Once there, they are easy to hunt, but getting to them was a hoot
Ocellated Turkey--They are just plain beautiful --this may be a woman thing
Coastal Grizzly Pure adrenalin hunt, plus in Alaska we loved the float planes, fishing, scenery. We enjoyed hunting the interior as well, but for adrenaline hunting, the coastal Grizzly!
The big five in Africa ( which I have only hunted three of ) Adrenalin, scenery, animals ( not hunted ) plus we were able to hunt Africa with our son and daughter, so that was special

Hunt that never happen, that I wanted to do, I was a part of one of these hunts but was not the hunter and I always wanted to go back but never got to and now it is too late health wise plus they have gotten so expensive.. Marco Polo

Actually, many of these hunts are so expensive now, I am not sure how a working family can afford them now---sad!

Last edited:
Well with my first thought of your list is those are some awesome hunts that 99.9% of hunters will never get to do or even afford to do. Sounds like you've had an exciting time

mudranger1--which is exactly the reason I was reluctant to share my thoughts on the forum. The stars just lined up correctly for us, as many times we were invited by folks in other countries to hunt with them. It was back when some hunts were not crazy expensive, plus what we did for a living put us in the other countries, so we didn't have to take time off work to "go hunting" as the couple extra days that we did go hunting while away, we were actually still with clients, in the same way ( but different ) that some of you take customers to lunch and dinner., The internet, cell phones, texting, etc, has IMHO de humanized civilization to some degree--plus hunting and hunters were not hated as they are today. Different times for sure sir

10 years ago, a week after my big brother passed I drove to Colorado for my first solo hunt...first elk, first bull & doubt I'll kill a better one. A roller coaster week for sure & I remember every moment of it.

Sounds like some great hunts for sure. Just one question though. Why was there a dog handler on a bighorn hunt? That one grabbed my attention.

Lots of memories and many "once in a lifetime type hunts", but the one that always stands out in my mind was my wife and I's second dall sheep hunt. 10 days in some of the most iconic sheep country in the world... We were charged by a sow with cubs, I dislocated my shoulder, multiple encounters with wolverines and one of them sealing meat, shooting two great double broomed rams, siwashing along a glacier, and packing 2 rams and camp back across said glacier over the course of 2 days... The story is on here, titled "Alaska Bighorns", or similar. I've done a dozen or more sheep hunts since, but nothing will compare to this one.

10 years ago, a week after my big brother passed I drove to Colorado for my first solo hunt...first elk, first bull & doubt I'll kill a better one. A roller coaster week for sure & I remember every moment of it.

Same kind of experience for me, Ken. My sister passed a week or so before I left for Wyoming on a solo antelope/elk hunt 6 years ago. She was so concerned about me camping and hunting alone up in the mountains at 59 years old. The way it all turned out I think she was looking out for me, killed an elk the first day not too far from camp and the whole trip went off without a hitch.

Thanksgiving double on cow elk with my then 14-year old grandson Bode. We made the mistake of cutting his elk in half and extracting down slope to the bottom of draw with small stream. By the time we worked down the mountain to the vehicle, we were both soaking wet. Fortunately Bode is much smarter than his old "Papa" and had brought extra boots and bib coveralls. He warmed and dried in the truck while I dealt with a wet elk. It was snowing the entire time, so when we finally hiked back up the mountain to retrieve my elk the snow had gotten fairly deep. It was steep enough that Bode could drag / slide the elk down the slope proudly by himself to a trail where we could fairly easily pull down the mountain to the truck. We were both wet, cold, and exhausted by the time we departed the trailhead in the dark, but laughing at ourselves and the retrieval ordeal we had just completed. Bode also helped me cut and grind elk meat, so all in all it was a fantastic memorable but difficult hunt ... one we both reminisce about ... sitting by the fire.

I am somewhat reluctant to post this, although several have ask me to do so.

The most memorable might be the most memorable for a variety of reasons , and is usually connected to hunting with family in one way or another, some pure adrenalin hunts, some the scenery, etc.

But these hunts would certainly be on the list of "memorable" hunts., for me.

Dall Sheep,--- scenery, and the spike camp,
Big Horn Sheep in Mexico--- The dog handler had just escaped from a mental institution ( not really, but maybe ) and rattlesnakes
Capaceillia --Hunting on ski's ( Sweden )
Muskox --Dog sled, terrain, getting to them. Once there, they are easy to hunt, but getting to them was a hoot
Ocellated Turkey--They are just plain beautiful --this may be a woman thing
Coastal Grizzly Pure adrenalin hunt, plus in Alaska we loved the float planes, fishing, scenery. We enjoyed hunting the interior as well, but for adrenaline hunting, the coastal Grizzly!
The big five in Africa ( which I have only hunted three of ) Adrenalin, scenery, animals ( not hunted ) plus we were able to hunt Africa with our son and daughter, so that was special

Hunt that never happen, that I wanted to do, I was a part of one of these hunts but was not the hunter and I always wanted to go back but never got to and now it is too late health wise plus they have gotten so expensive.. Marco Polo

Actually, many of these hunts are so expensive now, I am not sure how a working family can afford them now---sad!

That’s an incredible list...you must have many remarkable stories. Some of these are on my bucket list (or my husband’s). I would be excited just to see a musk ox or ocellated turkey! I would love to experience a sheep hunt before I’m too old to get up the mountain. A silly caribou, of all things, currently sits at the top of my list. I don’t know why, but they just strike me as such beautiful animals. Hopefully we can do that one in the not-to-distant future.

I enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like some great hunts for sure. Just one question though. Why was there a dog handler on a bighorn hunt? That one grabbed my attention.

LOL---Exactly! My husband in his infinite wisdom accepted the guides offer, that for a dew more pesos we could also hunt mountain lions in the same area, which was true and we did, but it was a hunt from H---. The part of the trip I prefer to remember was the rams lol. However, before he passed, my husband and I laughed about that trip many times.

Noharleyyet, bambistew,Brittany, Straigharrow, thank you for your stories. So many of all our stories, usually the best ones, involve family in one way or another

Hunting wife, thank you and I wish the best of luck on completing your bucket list. I didn't quite finish mine, but I sure tried LOL. Caribou is a wonderful animal to hunt, I hope you do so soon. Unfortunately, jumping across the border to hunt them is not as easy as it use to be. Caribou, except in The Territories, in Canada, is on th decline, and many areas have now banned hunting them in Canada. But there is still Alaska. (-:

Last edited:
My most memorable trip was when my wife and I went to Canada and she killed her first every animal with a bow. A bull moose. I called it in and she killed it. 100% on our own. We then enjoyed the peace and solitude for the remaining week we were there. Fishing and having cocktails. All by ourselves. In the middle of nowhere.

I killed one several years before, but it wasn't as special as hers.

mallardsx2. Good for her. As hard as I tried I was never very good with a bow or muzzleloader. Yeah! that time together in the middle of nowhere--perfect!

on point, thank you, for the link as I was not only able to read the story about you and your dad but the entire thread that I would have never seen otherwise. Thank you

Most memorable is very mundane compared to these. I still remember, very vividly, the look on my dad's face after I shot my first buck. Something I'll never forget...

Most difficult was helping a buddy with a mountain goat hunt in ID. The packout was tough! I thought I blew a knew in an avalanche chute when my borrowed crampon got stuck and we were on the opposite side of the mountain from camp. Cliffed out at least once. Lots of walking by headlamp in the dark and cold with the water frozen in our bottles.
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Wow Europe, that's an impressive resume. As you can likely tell since you've been on here we all love pictures especially with the stories. It certainly sounds like you've got quite a few I think we'd like to hear. If there's any out of line jealous remarks please over look them and share in the future please.

My most memorable is the most recent when I took my then 12 year old son on his first hunt west of the Miss. on a pronghorn hunt. I'll never forget his face two seconds after the rifle fired!

Most difficult was my one and only mule deer hunt. The hunt itself was not difficult but the 30 hr drive both ways in the middle of fall harvest and fall sports season coupled with a pile of guilt for taking off made it a tough one to even leave much less enjoy. As it was I tagged out 1.5 hrs after setting up camp and never regretted it one bit. He was not a trophy in anyone's book but mine and I'm dang proud of him.

Since others have posted this, my dream hunt is a DIY Sitka blacktail hunt with my wife and kids. We may never have a chance that all kids are old enough/young enough or there's enough time but I can always dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back