My new go to rifle.

With the right bullet, I think that load could cover everything, and easily, in the lower 48. Not saying your scope choice is "bad", but 10X is plenty for any of the ranges you'll be shooting with that rifle. Heck, at 500yds it will look like it's at 50yds. Plenty easy to place the crosshairs where they need to be with that type of sight picture. My 7yo shot a groundhog at 90yds with a red dot scope...

I’m not into the long range shooting and 500 yards would be absolutely max for me. Most cases I think I can get closer. Hopefully when Nosler releases there normal 150 AccuBond I can get it to shoot.

My go to rifle is a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with Talley lightweight rings and a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40. I love that little rifle.

I use RL26 in my 25-06, 270win, and 7 SAUM. It's good stuff.

My go to is a Mark V 270 Weatherby Mag. I shoot handloaded 140 gr Win Failsafe bullets that are unfortunately no longer made by Win. Use a VX III 1.75 x 6.0 x 32. I've never gone higher than 4x. I've killed four wild sheep, lots of speedgoats, whitetails and muleys. My longest shot was 297 yds on a Rocky Mtn Bighorn ram. My shortest has been less than 30 yds on whitetails in thick brush. I've never felt the least bit handicapped vision wise in broad daylight or near darkness. The scope is light and recoil doesn't touch it. GJ

You guys are making me lean 2-10 now.

Does anyone have experience with lighted reticles? I’m leaning away from them, but is there a big advantage I’m missing?

While they may help at times, i'm of the KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

If the lighted reticle can fail it will. If the battery in the scope can fail it will. And at the most inoportune time.
That and added weight.

My go to is my Remington 673 in 300 saum. It wears a VX 3i 3.5-10x40, which is more scope than I’ve ever needed.

I've got a Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM. I have a VX3I 4.5-14x40 on it and love it. Those SAUM cartridges are awesome little rounds.

I would go with the 3-15x44 and use some Talley one piece scope rings to keep the weight down. If 3-9 will work in the east why not a 3-15? You don’t have to crank it up all the way and the minimum magnification will be the same. You might need that extra power while hunting in the west. I have a couple of scopes, SIGS, with the illuminated reticles and I haven’t turn on the illuminated reticles while hunting.
I would load whatever works well with your rifle. I haven’t used RL 26 in my .270 simply because I found a good load with H4831. I use RL26 and 140 accubonds in my .270 WSM and I wouldn’t be concerned with using that load on deer or elk. If you are worried about using 150 grains on deer, which I don’t think that is an issue, maybe look into the 130 monolithic bullets. They will pack plenty of punch for deer and elk. I use the Barnes 129 lrx in my .270 using H4831 with great results. My .270 weighs in at 8 lb 7 ounces and I think that is a nice weight, heavy enough to get stable but not so much that it drags you down.

Whichever you choose make sure you check with member Schmalts! Personally I’d go with a 3-15 with Windplex.

I have only one scope with a lighted reticle. It has crosshairs as well. If the light fails its fuctions just like a
regular scope. Its a 1.5-4x20 Luey. I doubt I would buy another one. As I get older Im joining the KISS team.

I use a 2.5-8 and have never felt handicapped while hunting (even in the west). The only time I wish I had more scope is when I'm doing load development and shooting groups.

I cut my teeth in NNY hunting with a 3-9 that I always left on 4x, never felt under or over scoped in the woods and fields of the Northeast. My dad leaves his old Redfield wideview on 5x 100% of the time and he's the best deer shooter I've ever seen (I know I'm biased). I live in AZ now and all my rifles are 3-9x40 (.257 wby mag, .204 Ruger, Gfs 7mm-08 and my AR) except for my 7mm-08 M70 that's got a 3.5-10x40. Other than the .257, I don't shoot anything further than 300 yards anyway, so the 3-9's keep the rifle somewhat trim and handy when I need them to be, but can still dial in the shots when I need them to.

My Grandfathers old Savage 99 still wears an old Weaver K2.5, and that rifle's pure heaven in the woods

I have a 3-15 and very rarely use anything over an 8 magnification for hunting. 8 magnification is plenty for 400 - 500 yards. I don't shot anything over 450 yards.

I should probably get a straight 10 power scope. I don't care if my target is 50 yards or 300 yards, the first thing I do is turn it up to the highest magnification before shooting.

Will definitely hit Schmalts up on a price when I’m ready. He definitely has good prices.

Got some good news today. My FFL called to tell me my m48 Liberty came in. I will get some photos uploaded Friday when I get over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back