My 2018 deer hunt (first buck!)

Mossy-Back

I’m a father of three boys all under 9 years old, and my wife and I both work, so I don’t get a lot of time in the field. I didn’t draw a doe tag or cow elk tag and I knew I’d be busy during bull elk season, so I decided to buy an over the counter buck tag for western Oregon and hunt close to home. I hunted over in the coast range west of where I live for the first three weeks of the season without seeing a single deer on public land and only a few does on private.

For the last week of the season a friend gave me permission to hunt on his property where a small forked horn had been hanging out. I spent a few evenings there and only saw does. On the last day of the season I was out at his place before sunrise, it was pouring rain, and I saw three does. I decided to take my chances and head east into the Cascade Mountains and see what I could find. I drove around, found a few places to walk out into, but no fresh sign.

Around noon the weather had turned into sunny skies and I found an overhrown closed road with a locked gate and decided to walk it and see what I could find. It was all uphill, pretty thick and brushy, but I was hoping for a clearcut or meadow at the top. About 2 miles up I looked on the downhill side through an opening in the trees and saw a buck looking at me at about 40 yards, almost broadside but slightly quartered towards me. I brought up my rifle and put a 165 gr Hornady SST right in front of the shoulder, taking out the carotid and breaking a few ribs on the back side. No exit wound. He dropped right there.

Right after I gutted him and started dragging him up to the road I heard a funny sound and then around he corner down the hill came a brush cutter tractor. The driver offered me a ride back down the hill and opened up the gate so I could drive up to get my deer. Talk about a lucky last day of the season! This buck was definitely in pre-rut with a swollen neck, and I’m guessing he was 180+ pounds on the hoof. He was 140 pounds with legs, head, and backstrap removed and I ended up with 80 pounds of meat.

D36DCC5D-D046-48DE-98E7-AD1F3289330F.jpg
ECC859B7-880A-44C8-A811-542EF543D1D3.jpg
91FC3E70-67B0-4AAB-9837-16808FC1EB06.jpeg

Great Job!! You were blessed that the tractor was coming along. Otherwise you would have gotten your workout! Congratulations!!

Neat pictures and pretty buck. I'm guessing in a few years you will have lots of help. Congrats.

Thanks! Oh, and it turned out that the little forked horn by my froend’s Place was shot by his neighbor’s 14 year old daughter. I’m glad she got him instead of me.

Congrats on a nice buck , looking at his ear in that pic he was quite the scrapper ! Harvested a Blacktail back in 2016 that had a split eat like that and an old bullet hole in his other ear. From one western Oregon dude to another, welcome to the forum

Back