Late season SE Montana

BucksnDucks

I know there has been a lot of talk lately about region 7. Looks like I'm joining the crowd. I got invited to join a group this November for what should be a great time. I will be in the company of a son, father, grandfather trio of great guys. It will be a goal to get the youngster his first deer (I believe he is 11) and get the hard charging grandpa who is a badass Chukar hunting Vietnam vet on a nice muley.

I'm wondering what the lodging situation is out there? We are thinking late season and camping is not the best for this group. Other than the one hotel I've heard of in Broadus, any ideas in that general area centered around Broadus

Ideal scenario would be house/cabin rental. Is that a dream or is there such thing as Airbnb hunt talk?

If I were going to stay in a motel in Broadus it would be the Sagebrush motel. The other 3 motels are owned by the same person and are rather rough. I don’t know if it was bc I asked for a pet room, but the motels in Ashland and Broadus were rather bad from my experience working in the area. I’ve heard good things about the Sagebrush and it looks nice from the outside.
Secondly, I spent 11 days hunting the Custer NF for bull elk and buck deer through last Oct/Nov and the game numbers were very low in my opinion. We covered 4 to 9 miles each day, and a great majority of elk/ deer we seen were on private. If you have access to some private land you should have a good hunt, but the Custer gets hunted hard and we couldn’t get away from roads/hunters. I have way better hunting in central/NW Montana for deer and Region 3/4 for bull elk. Sounds like a fun trip and with a general tag that opens up 90% of the state. Good luck.

Thanks, Pagosa. I heard about the Sagebrush but wasn't sure if that was like the others. There are a couple other guys in the group that have been out a few times that usually camp or stay at what they describe as a very rough motel. I started my son out in South Dakota for his first deer and it was -5 when he connected, it was nice to have a warm place to head back to. I would like to find a comfortable place for the youngster and gramps.

More than likely you will already be on a waiting list. We secure our lodging for the next year when we are there for this year's hunt. We've been doing it a bit, so we have an "in" at the inn. haha. I would not wait on getting an rsvp. I would also think outside of Broadus too.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back