Tarptent recommendation

Sawtooth Hunter

I like the idea of a bivy tarp for the easy packability and light weight but I would perfer to have a floor. I found one made by Tarptent http://https://www.tarptent.com/. Has anyone had experience with this brand or have a recommendation of a similar brand that has a floor.
motrail_7.jpg

The Motrail is the one I'm looking at its 34oz not as light as a bivy tarp can be but it has a floor

motrail_1.jpg

Last edited:
THese kind of tents are sweet, if you don't need your trekking poles and plan on moving every day... or just cut some sticks for the poles. There are times where sticks are not anywhere around.

I've owned a Tarptent Protrail for a long time. It's a great tent and I still use it whenever I want something with a floor. Hard to beat for the price.

I have a TT Stratosphire 1 that I have brought into several areas of Northern BC, the Kootenays, Alberta, etc. Its withstood a ton of wind and weather and always done well. I have the 'pole kit' as I like to have my trekking poles with me for hunting, but for an overnighter I'd just use my poles. Even with the pole kit the tent is light, compresses nicely and packs well. Overall I've been very happy with the tent and purchase, about 4 years of use now.

I have a TT Stratosphire 1 that I have brought into several areas of Northern BC, the Kootenays, Alberta, etc. Its withstood a ton of wind and weather and always done well. I have the 'pole kit' as I like to have my trekking poles with me for hunting, but for an overnighter I'd just use my poles. Even with the pole kit the tent is light, compresses nicely and packs well. Overall I've been very happy with the tent and purchase, about 4 years of use now.

Thanks I think its a good option for price and the weight 34oz. How is it for condesation and does it get much wind coming under the fly from the picture looks like it the wind could sneak under or maybe its not that bad.

I'd take a close look at the TT Rainbow. I've used one for many late summer/early fall hunts for probably 8 years now and been quite happy. Has it's own pole so I can use trekking poles seperately and not have to collapse tent throughout the day. Mine weighs just under 2 lbs.

It is single wall, so you will possibly have some condensation on the inside of the tent wall, depending on conditions, however, the floor is 40" x 88"--you can put two people in it if you need to--and it's so big for one person that even if there is condensation, it's generally pretty easy not to brush up against it.

The size is really nice--I can put boots, pack and rifle inside with me if need be. I keep looking at the new designs/materials manufacters, including TT, keep coming up with and for many years now have still felt the Rainbow is the tent for me. Just me. Let us know what you settle on.

The new Seek Outside Eolus looks like it will be very nice. It is not quite on the market yet. A SO tarptent with a floor that weighs about 18 oz without stakes. Uses stick or trekking poles for setup. Two vestibules.

I bought a Tarptent Double Rainbow in 2013. I used it for a few backpacking trips and a trek at Philmont Scout Ranch. It worked great once I got the seams sealed properly. I still have the tent and love it.
However, I find myself using my Big Agnes Copper Spur or REI QuarterDome tents more often than not these days. I'm not sure why. I'll have to pull the old Double Rainbow off the shelf and take it out this spring for old times sake.

I ran the TT Protrail for a while. Very nice in good weather, but I got a lot of condensation on the foot of my sleeping bag when it was cold. Also a tight space to change in when it's raining. Couldn't quite sit up straight. Now I use a Zpacks duplex which is slightly lighter and has a ton of room for one guy. Stellar tent in my opinion, but the cost is way up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back