Upgrading Binos. Decisions to make

I just got rid of viper 15’s. They were pretty good when the light is good. Add Sunrise, sunset, clouds and shadows and they weren’t nearly as crisp. You’ll also get real used to using the focus wheel because it’s hard to keep them focused at varying distance.

I agree that Swaros are the gold standard. Maven, gpo and Meopta might all occupy a best bang for your buck sweet spot. Vortex isn’t at the same level, but their marketing and warranty did make my resale quick.

I bought a Vortex spotter and I'm crying. mtmuley

you and me both man. There has been some good suggestions already. After going through the chain of different levels of glass I totally agree buy once cry once. Even if that means buying used. I would MUCH rather buy used alpha quality glass than new sub-par glass. Watch for used zeiss, meopta, leica, maven etc. I've owned a handful of vortex stuff over the years and have never loved any of them once the new car smell wore off....

I just got rid of viper 15’s. They were pretty good when the light is good. Add Sunrise, sunset, clouds and shadows and they weren’t nearly as crisp. You’ll also get real used to using the focus wheel because it’s hard to keep them focused at varying distance.

The issues Bailer is describing are far more due to the magnification than the brand or model. A set of 10x binos are much more crisp in lower light, and have much better depth of field (how often you’ll have to refocus at different distances). The 10x42 Viper HDs actually have pretty good depth of field for their class IMO. Much better than say the Maven C.1s.

The 15x50 Viper HD is a much poorer bino than the 10x42s, which is probably why they don’t make them anymore.

Last edited:
The issues Bailer is describing are far more due to the magnification than the brand or model. A set of 10x binos are much more crisp in lower light, and have much better depth of field (how often you’ll have to refocus at different distances). The 10x42 Viper HDs actually have pretty good depth of field for their class IMO. Much better than say the Maven C.1s.

The 15x50 Viper HD is a much poorer bino than the 10x42s, which is probably why they don’t make them anymore.

I compared them directly to other 15’s. Fair point though, any other Viper may be fine.

IMO we are in the “good times” for optics. Vortex has a great marketing strategy but there is a lot glass as good and better at the Razor price point and below.To get a feel for what’s out there, visit some of the bird watching sites, those people are fanatics when it comes to optics.

Some of the glass I’d suggest researching would be Meopta, Leupold BX4, Athlon and Minox.

Fattybinz, I'd suggest 10 power binos. I have Leica as my main bino and love them, but price point is steep. If you can look through friend's glass and at the store do it. Like boots, I'm not sure what works best for one guy fits everyone else just as well. I chose Leica, my brother went Swaro and another friend went Razor - everyone seems happy. As to quality with Vortex, maybe I'm lucky, I've never used the warranty. I have a pair of Viper 10x42 binos that I like, but with my Leicas the Vipers are more of a backup. I have 3 Razor riflescopes and have been very happy with those, as well as 2 Viper scopes that have served me well.

I compared them directly to other 15’s. Fair point though, any other Viper may be fine.

Ah, that also makes sense if you’re talking about comparing to other 15s. The Viper 15s only have a 50mm objective compared to pretty much every other 15 out there, which have 56mm objectives. The Viper 15x50 lets in less light and won’t be nearly as crisp as 15x56s especially in lower light. The depth of field is an issue with the Viper 15x50 and 12x50 compared to other binoculars in that class, moreso than the 10x42 IMO.

I would recommend looking at meopta
This year I wanted to add a pair of 15x binos. I compared zeiss, swaro, Leica, meopta. For me the top 2 were the swaros and the meoptas. I could not personally tell a difference in the glass between swaros and meopta meopro he glass. I love these Bonos. I would also recommend 10x for your main bino. Vortex gets mentioned a lot but their binos are not in the same class as the above mentioned.

I looked hard at the Meopta and liked them and am sure I’d be happy if I went that route. Ended up with a used set of gpo 12.5 x 50. They are really good. My buddy had his 12 el’s there too, and other than a little edge clarity it was close. Also not sure why the guy sold the gpo’s, as they are the luckiest piece of gear I’ve ever owned. Was able to get a 4x3 Muley into a shooting lane at 50.

I am also in the market for some mid-range binos, so this thread has been very helpful. Ashamed to say, but I do not have a decent pair of binos, it seems when purchasing gear I always have something that takes precedence over them (keep in mind I hunt thickly forested areas in northern Wisconsin). Lots of great suggestions, but out of curiosity I have to ask about the absence of recommendations for Leopold binos. I know that their scopes are fantastic, but hear very little about binos.

I am also in the market for some mid-range binos, so this thread has been very helpful. Ashamed to say, but I do not have a decent pair of binos, it seems when purchasing gear I always have something that takes precedence over them (keep in mind I hunt thickly forested areas in northern Wisconsin). Lots of great suggestions, but out of curiosity I have to ask about the absence of recommendations for Leopold binos. I know that their scopes are fantastic, but hear very little about binos.

Not sure if already mentioned on this string - but don't forget Maven -- amazing quality/price points.

Back