Yeti GOBOX Collection

Upgrading Binos. Decisions to make

fattybinz

I started hunting in 2018 and loved it. To start out I bought a Vortex diamondback 10x50. They served me well during my mule deer buck, a mule deer doe, and cow elk hunts. As a beginner I thought I would have these binos forever but after a while I started to notice some shortcomings...bit large, blurry edges (had to move it constantly to glass using the clearest center portion) , not as clear as it could be. So now I'm looking to upgrade. There are two things I'm having a hard time deciding:

First, I'm considering going with either the Viper HDs or the Razor HDs. I know the common advice to get the best glass you can afford, but getting the vipers would mean some sacrifice, and saving for the Razors would take considerable work...but it would be doable. So I don't want to get the more expensive pair unless it comes with a meaningful improvement in quality.

Second, I'm undecided regarding whether to stick with the 10x or move up to 12x power. 90%+ of my glassing is off a tripod. Only use freehand to check in on an animal as I stalk...or to glass when there is snow everywhere and spotting animals is easier. I live in Utah and plan to hunt Colorado and Wyoming in the coming years...so I'm working with very open areas and longer distances. I do not have a spotting scope...as a beginner hunter that is mostly start out with antlerless hunts I'm not too interested in using a spotter to get a closer look. May get one in 3-5 years

I anticipate the advice to go to an outdoors store and ask to try each of these binos outside, preferably as it gets darker. I plan on doing that, but would appreciate any insights yall have. thanks

Buy once, cry once.

If you’re budget includes Vortex Razors there are a half dozen binos you could buy at that level that would perform better.

Buy once, cry once.

If you’re budget includes Vortex Razors there are a half dozen binos you could buy at that level that would perform better.

To clarify, if I do get a pair of vortex binos then it will be one of the refurbished ones that pop up from time to time. Come with same warranty. I'm not in a rush and can wait. So my budget is retail minus a few hundred dollars.

I would stick with 10x as an all purpose glass. I carry 10x and run 15x on a tripod. If I was only going to have 1, it'd be the 10x. The Viper's are very nice glass, but the razors are excellent.

Vortex has an excellent warranty that I've used a few times in the past and to no fault of the optics. I'm very hard on my equipment. Good luck

I would stick with 10x as an all purpose glass. I carry 10x and run 15x on a tripod. If I was only going to have 1, it'd be the 10x. The Viper's are very nice glass, but the razors are excellent.

Vortex has an excellent warranty that I've used a few times in the past and to no fault of the optics. I'm very hard on my equipment. Good luck

What specifically make the razors excellent? Is it overall clarity? Edge-to-edge clarity? Both? I'm not necessarily disappointed with the diamondback's clarity, just the fact that it is only reaaally clear in the middle. The upgrade I most want is edge-to-edge.

Both, go to Cabelas and look through them.When I was looking to purchase they let me take them outside.

Either will be a big improvement over the Diamondbacks.

Im running viper hd 10x42 as my main glass. They do very well. I dont think stepping up is worth the extra cash, unless you have money to burn. You have a drecreasing value at that level. If ive needed more than my 10x42 the scope comes out.

Also, I put Vortex with any of the other brands.

Buy once, cry once.

Yep ^^.

One interesting things about Vortex owners, is the number who have had a warranty issue. Seems there are a lot of people who have sent product back, myself included.

Right now the Bushenll legend M is a great buy at $135 and compares favorably to the viper. Good comparison.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=319833

Theron is popular with some in this price range and gets favorable reviews. The Questa is one I would like to try some day.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=309888

And the Maven C series is another worth considering in that price range.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=354071

If you will read those links you will find some really amazing reviews and comparisons that go into topics rarely discussed by hunters. Those birding folks know their optics.

I've used the Viper HD's for the past few years. I think it is a great bino for the price. If I was to upgrade to something in the price range of the razors, I'd be looking at the Maven B series. The Vipers are a huge upgrade over the Diamondbacks. I've had no trouble putting animals on the ground with the Vipers. What's your boot, pack, and shelter situation? Those are the other categories where I would spend some money if you don't have adequate gear.

Yep ^^.

One interesting things about Vortex owners, is the number who have had a warranty issue. Seems there are a lot of people who have sent product back, myself included.

Warranty bragging does seem to be a common point with those sporting Vortex. I can't speak about my opinion on the glass, since I have never used them, but I have heard enough stories about using the great warranty. I also have a friend that was involved in a wildlife study that required optics. He said it was good they had the warranty since they were shipping stuff back and forth often. YMMV.

I bought some Swaros 10 years ago and it was a ton of money for me. Looking back, money well spent. Yet to hear from a Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski owner bring up the cool warranty in the first sentence.

Schaaf point is accurate in my opinion. Wish he would have told me that 30 years ago. I have been through some garbage.

I agree MT! Buy once cry once. Swarovski is a great company and I’ve had amazing customer service from them. Send in your binos for a cleaning and they even replaced all eyecups and lens covers. Top notch service!

Had a few vortex products all I have left is my spotter. When I have the money I will replace it with a leupold. I like the glass that vortex offers but everything I've had has gone in for warranty work at least once.

Had a few vortex products all I have left is my spotter. When I have the money I will replace it with a leupold. I like the glass that vortex offers but everything I've had has gone in for warranty work at least once.

Interesting, what all have you sent back?

For me it was just a rangefinder, which I sold after it was replaced and bought a leica.

Buy once cry one. I know it's difficult, but I worry that you'll be wanting another upgrade in a few years. I know Swaro's are fantastic, but I'm not saying you have to go that extreme. I'd go with the Razor or something in a similar price point.

Interesting, what all have you sent back?

For me it was just a rangefinder, which I sold after it was replaced and bought a leica.

Both pairs of binos, one set went back a second time because it came back from warranty work still not right which was a little hard to believe. All three repairs were on the eye relief caps or whatever the proper name for them would be. The other was a riflescope that came on a used rifle I bought the knob for the zoom was misaligned. I had real high hopes for them when they came out but have been a little disheartened after all that.

I’ve owned or spent time with most of the binoculars in that price range, and I think the Viper HDs in 10x42 are a good buy in your situation. They’re a binocular that will not hold you back from getting an animal on the ground IMO. Are there better images out there in that price range? Perhaps. The Maven C1s are pretty nice, as are the Bushnell Legend Ms. But “warranty bragging” or not, the Vipers will be easy to sell if you need to, and if you buy used I doubt you’ll lose much money if any. For that reason I think they make a lot of sense for someone in your position.

If we were talking spotters or a different budget my advice would be totally different.

Last edited:
I've used the Viper HD's for the past few years. I think it is a great bino for the price. If I was to upgrade to something in the price range of the razors, I'd be looking at the Maven B series. The Vipers are a huge upgrade over the Diamondbacks. I've had no trouble putting animals on the ground with the Vipers. What's your boot, pack, and shelter situation? Those are the other categories where I would spend some money if you don't have adequate gear.

Since I started from scratch I had to go budget on my other gear. Got some LaCrosse insulated boots on sale at Scheels for $65. I know that may be cringeworthy but they worked out pretty great through about 100 miles. Or maybe I just don't know better. Kept me fairly warm in the late-season, kept water out, didn't have sores or blisters as long as I wore two pairs of socks. For my pack I bought a MR Pintler. Don't have any shelter. I'm just starting out so I won't be doing overnighters anytime soon.

Definitely go with the best you can. I'd stick wit 10x. I got my Swaro's during a Cabelas sale for just over $1200 4 or 5 years ago, marked down from $1700. I've seen leica's in the bargain cave for around the same. If you're patient and not in a hurry, deals pop up on here from time to time as well other forums and eBay.

Back