WY deer and antelope

tim81212

My buddy and I have enough points to hunt antelope in the carbon cty area and we we're thinking of hunting deer too. It looks like to me that it only takes one point to draw a buck tag but we have 5. I can't find an area around there where it takes more than 1 point. We didn't plan on building so many points but we couldn't hunt there until now. Any advice?

Could you draw the area 2nd choice in the special draw?

If not, maybe find a good deer unit first then find an acceptable pronghorn unit close to there.

Otherwise, I personally would hate to burn 5 points in a one point unit. You could either pack up and move camp mid-hunt after filling the pronghorn tags, or just make 2 trips out of it. I've done hunts several times where I moved camp between areas, it's not a big deal as long as you have enough time to do both tags justice.

Looks like area 81 might be a possibility with your 5 points. Took 4 to draw in 2018. Might not be exactly where you end up hunting antelope, but maybe close enough? Hopefully you'll have at least two weeks to hunt, to really justify burning your deer and antelope points all in one year. I think I'd prefer to have three weeks available to hunt, bonus if you get done and are able to go home a little early.

If you draw an antelope tag in the Baggs area, you won't have to hunt many days to have a chance at a big one. That would give you plenty of time to move on to a different area for mule deer.

If you draw an antelope tag in the Baggs area, you won't have to hunt many days to have a chance at a big one. That would give you plenty of time to move on to a different area for mule deer.

Bingo. You don't really need to have the deer and pronghorn units overlapping or adjacent. If are within a two hour drive then could bounce back and forth a couple of times by using the middle of the day to make the move when activity is generally less. If you take more than 3 days to fill your pronghorn tags then are likely seeking a buck of a lifetime so would avoid having the pressure of holding a deer hunt the same year that burnt your points.

Back