Caribou Gear

2019 Mystery Ranch packs...

Dooger

...are up on their site. The Sawtooth 45 looks interesting to me. Was originally thinking about a Pintler this year.

...are up on their site. The Sawtooth 45 looks interesting to me. Was originally thinking about a Pintler this year.

IMO I’d still go Pintler over the Sawtooth. But that Beartooth has got me thinking it might be nice.

IMO I’d still go Pintler over the Sawtooth. But that Beartooth has got me thinking it might be nice.

I used a Beartooth in Alaska for our sheep hunt and in Montana and Wyoming for the rifle elk hunts. It will be getting a lot more use, giving my Metcalfs a bit of rest on occasion.

I used a Beartooth in Alaska for our sheep hunt and in Montana and Wyoming for the rifle elk hunts. It will be getting a lot more use, giving my Metcalfs a bit of rest on occasion.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I have a love/hate relationship with my Metcalf. At first, the Beartooth wasn’t that interesting. But the more I think about it, the more I’d love for the Metcalf to be a little more organized.

Why didn’t they make it out of 500 D fabric though?

:confused:I was really hoping they would put a scabbard system and a couple of cross straps on the POP UP 28 for carrying a bow or rifle. I may have to get one anyway and throw a couple of cross traps on it myself.:confused:

Do you know why they changed the waist belt? Did folks did not like the belt that was initially on the Guide Light Frame?
thanks

Do you know why they changed the waist belt? Did folks did not like the belt that was initially on the Guide Light Frame?
thanks

They are always working on new tweaks. I love the waist belt on my Guide Light. I love this waist belt even more.

How much of an upgrade is the Guide Light frame over the NICE? Scale of 1-10, 1 being buy beer instead and 10 is beg, borrow, or steal to make it happen.

How much of an upgrade is the Guide Light frame over the NICE? Scale of 1-10, 1 being buy beer instead and 10 is beg, borrow, or steal to make it happen.

Depends on your intended use of a pack, amount of use, and weight carried. To me, it is a 7-8.

Depends on your intended use of a pack, amount of use, and weight carried. To me, it is a 7-8.

Really? I would have said maybe a 3-4.

What is the biggest difference you see Randy? I’ve both frames and think they are pretty similar in comfort, although I did add the load lifter kit to my NICE after a few years.

Agreed, I held off buying a MR pack until the Guide Lite came out, it pushed me over the edge, and I'm happy I did it. The NICE frame was interesting, but not light or functional enough to make me sell my other pack...

Really? I would have said maybe a 3-4.

What is the biggest difference you see Randy? I’ve both frames and think they are pretty similar in comfort, although I did add the load lifter kit to my NICE after a few years.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, the new Guide Light MT Frame utilizes some different fabrics, but still in a "skeletonized" fashion, meaning, cut outs where they make sense to reduce weight, but not detract from durability. The 300D fabric usage does bring the weight down slightly, but this pack was designed for organization, as you can see by the internal pockets in the lid, top, external pocket, etc. It is a different beast compared to the Metcalf. Also, round and flat stays for improved feel and rigidity are in the mix, and obviously the increased frame height (load lift) you get the GL frames vs. the NICE frames. And a 5-piece waistbelt rounds it all out, as well as SJ hardware specially built for MR shaves a bit of weight but is still super strong.

I wouldn't treat it so much as a "which is better" discussion, as the NICE frame is a military design, and the details of it align with different needs vs. a hunter's needs (example: the lack of load lifters is intentional on the NICE frame, as a prone soldier cannot shoot as well with a helmet on, as it can interfere with the taller frame. Not good in a firefight!)

The buckles being not compatiable with the older packs seems like a PIA, other that that they look good.

I have my eyes on the Beartooth but gotta see one in person first. Time for me to get a bigger pack for longer hunts.

They are always working on new tweaks. I love the waist belt on my Guide Light. I love this waist belt even more.

Randy, I know you tested out the MR Pop up 18. Do you know if they have any plans to add a bow scabbard/straps to the back of the 28 Pack? I see the same potential in the 28 that most others see. It's a primary day/blind/treestand/scouting pack that can be turned quickly into a meat hauler or a back country camp hauler when the occasion arrises.

What were your thoughts on the Pop up 18 you tested?

Randy, I know you tested out the MR Pop up 18. Do you know if they have any plans to add a bow scabbard/straps to the back of the 28 Pack? I see the same potential in the 28 that most others see. It's a primary day/blind/treestand/scouting pack that can be turned quickly into a meat hauler or a back country camp hauler when the occasion arrises.

What were your thoughts on the Pop up 18 you tested?

I didn't get to test it much. I think it is a killer day pack for anything up to the size of deer. I don't know what plans are in place to add a bow scabbard. Alex at MR had all kinds of great ideas of how to use it that included attaching your bow. Not sure if that would be impacted by hauling a treestand.

Mine will get more testing this coming season. Thinking of taking it to AZ for Coues deer and javelina in a couple weeks.

Back