1. Default Unforgettable books..

I canít tell you how many times I read these cover to cover as a kid. Anybody else get started in their daydreaming by picking up either of these?? Name:  09F0EC3C-1808-4EE2-B554-6677A9744926.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  88.6 KBName:  DD4EC589-E668-46D2-8489-1AC4C6873642.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  133.4 KB

One Man's Wilderness by Warren Page set loose a bit of wanderlust in me...

Blog Entries

Books? You guys are dating yourselves. Growing up in a canoe and wanting to be a "forest ranger", early /mid 70's reading for me.....
    Name:  land.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  116.5 KB
    Name:  runes.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  108.3 KB
    Name:  sand.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  96.7 KB
    And a fascination with the Rockies and the old fur trade
    Name:  AB.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  98.9 KB
    Name:  journal.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  101.3 KB
    Last edited by onpoint; 01-05-2019 at 04:38 PM.

As a kid I read these few times...

Fundamentals of Bowhunting, Dwight Schuh
    Bugling for Elk, Dwight Schuh
    Journal of a Mountain Man, James Clyman
    Undaunted Courage, Stephen Ambrose
    Death in the Long Grass, Peter Capstick
    "No Kuiu here"

I read "The Big Sky" many times over growing up. Dad had this one laying around the house that sparked some interest.

Name:  51zAfTjTROL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  30.9 KB

And when I became more focused, I bought this book.

Name:  41Z7lBkF9WL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  15.5 KB
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

onpoint and I have the same taste in books.... all on my top 10. Love Sigurd Olson's work. I'd swear you have some Midwest ties
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

Try jim Corbett he was my childhood hero along with Roosevelt and remains today. One of the great hunting conservationists and a great writer. He lived in India during the British Raj and aside from being an incredible naturalist he solo hunted man eating leopards and tigers on foot.

Man eating leopard of Rudrapryag and Maneaters of kumaon are classics but i thoroughly recommend Jungle Lore too if you can find it. Took me 10 years to find a 1st edition of that, ended up finding one of the other side of the world never letting it go now! I've also got the fortunate tiger which is good and just got My India.

Another great hunting book is No more the tusker by George Rushby. Ivory hunter, poacher, game warden in Africa. Also talks about his hunt for the njombe maneating lions. A pride that killed over 1,500 people during a 10 year stretch. Never gained the fame of the tsavo lions.

Or for an aussie classic (with one of the best book names around, Hell West and Crooked by Tom Cole. Was a drover, crocodile and buffalo hunter. He's a real life less bs version of what crocodile dundee was hoping to be.

8. Default

On Point Right on the money!Aldo and Henry David "Walden"

9. Default

2nd the Leopold. And the OíConnor!
    Name:  18849150-2782-4793-8C19-C6185AC109EE.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  48.6 KB

Young Men and Fire is the greatest nonfiction book ever written in my opinion.

Lochsa Story by Bud Moore, 40 Years a Forester by Elers Koch, and Montana Adventure by Frank Bird Linderman are all books I pretty much read on an annual basis.

Iíve not read the 2 in the OP but am interested.
    ďIt is well to go all out sometimes.Ē - Elers Koch

Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm is a must read!

"Dangerous River" by George Patterson - exploring and trapping the NW Territories after WWI.
    Aussie JD is on target with Corbett - one of the BEST wildlife writers ever.
    Jack O'Conner was always a good read. The same can be said for anything by Russel Annabel. As a kid, I also read lots of books by Farley Mowat - good adventure stories for teenage readers set in the far north.

Name:  fp.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  28.3 KB
    Freedom Is Not Free

14. Default

[QUOTE=Aussie_hunter_JD;2781355]Try jim Corbett he was my childhood hero along with Roosevelt and remains today. One of the great hunting conservationists and a great writer. He lived in India during the British Raj and aside from being an incredible naturalist he solo hunted man eating leopards and tigers on foot.

Man eating leopard of Rudrapryag and Maneaters of kumaon are classics but i thoroughly recommend Jungle Lore too if you can find it. Took me 10 years to find a 1st edition of that, ended up finding one of the other side of the world never letting it go now! I've also got the fortunate tiger which is good and just got My India.

OMG---I have crossed paths with very few people that have even heard of Corbett or his writings. I agree with you and loved his books and thanks to my father I was able to read them at a very young age. Enjoyed many Africa books--Hemingway, Bell, Ruark , Roosevelt,, Capstick, etc--but a book that was written from letters to his wife about hunting Alaska in the 1940's to 1980's was also a good read. " Trail of the Eagle" Not to be confused with the WWII book of the same name. My daughter read The Wahoo Bobcat by Lippincot, at least ten times, and even use dit for book reports when she was young (-;

Blog Entries

Being from the East coast for me it was shots at whitetails Larry Kroller