Yeti GOBOX Collection

Back yard deer.

npaden

It's kind of funny because my son and I are making a trip to our hunting property this afternoon for the last weekend of the regular deer season and this morning when we woke up we saw these guys in our back yard. Took the pictures with my phone with no magnification from my upstairs window.

Untitled by naathan2, on Flickr

Not huge bucks by any means, but it looks very promising for next year. At times they were as close as 10 feet from the house. Technically it is still deer season here at the house as well, but both my son and I have already tagged out for this county.

I got a little video of a couple of them sparring. Not sure if it is going to embed or if I will need to just post a link. (Edit - You have to click on the image to get the video to play).

I've also gotten a few pictures of some decent mule deer from the house this year. These were all taken with magnification, generally through my spotting scope. We only have a 10 day mule deer season in Lubbock county and I would have loved to see either of the last 2 bucks during daylight hours during the season but never did. I did see the first buck on my property during daylight during the season but decided to pass on him. My neighbor shot him a few days later but the bottom 2 both made it through the season.

IMG_E0093 by naathan2, on Flickr

Both of these pictures were taken after the season was over for mule deer.

IMG_E0226 by naathan2, on Flickr

IMG_E0269 by naathan2, on Flickr

Oh well, just thought I would share. I think it is amazing that I have 74 acres of land in a county that didn't even have a deer season 6 years ago and am seeing deer like this on a routine basis. When I purchased our "hunting" property 100 miles away 11 years ago I never would have thought we would even have a deer season here, now I think the deer density is higher at my house than at my hunting property. I plant 6 acres of wheat/tritcale/oats each fall and we've seen as many a 16 deer on it at one time this year.

Nathan

Last edited:
Good looking bucks, especially the mule deer. That would be a neat thing to see regularly out your back window.

Very nice!! I enjoy the few squirrels I have hanging around my place, but would be tickled to have that out my back door. You're doing it right!

We've got some great yard deer at our new place, my daughters love watching them out the windows, our youngest girl's first word was "deer!"...Q1CNUTcjTnO4kEMb16G+Wg.jpgS8y7xiVXTIWRhevsagrEbQ.jpgIMG_2906.jpg

The neck on that 1st muley! Interesting the changes you've seen in a relatively short period of time. We're starting to see more elk and fewer mule deer.

1-DSCF5181.JPG2-IMG_0081.JPG3-elk 45 022.JPG

Npaden- the first mulie was mature. He probably didn’t have the genetics to do too much better than that. The lack of rain until August didn’t help. Second mulie is 2.5-3.5. He needed the pass. Could be a whopper one day. Third one...shame you didn’t get him.

If people in the metropolitan area I live near knew how many deer were out here it would rapidly be just like the rest of Texas and I’d never hunt for free again.

Back