Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Sage Grouse 2019

I used to live in SE Alberta (right north of Havre) and saw 2 groups of them in my life. Although I know the populations are delicate, I still have a desire to hunt them at least once (in MT or WY, or even ID) and would love to have one mounted in my house as a reminder of my time living on the prairies. They are a pretty cool bird for sure. I've talked about doing a combo antelope hunt in WY as the numbers seem better down there. Sounds like a super fun hunt regardless.

Northwest South Dakota could also tickle your fancy with some good bird hunting on the way.

Thank you all for the tips, it helps me narrow down my search a little. Part of the fun is planning the route I'm going to drive, though I suspect with limited time off work stopping at every bird hunting destination I may pass near will be difficult!

My experience shows that you find them in one of three places:

Big flats like you describe

Next to the last gate of the day after you've walked 15 miles

Right next to the #$#@*$% road.

:)

Ridges, plateaus & places with good sage stand diversity along with good line of sight to watch for predators. All good spots to walk. Enjoy!

Great advice above.

I chased sage grouse this year for the first time after filling my WY antelope tag. I hunted them (with no dog) for 1 1/2 days around the Casper area. After walking many miles and hunting pretty hard (far harder then my antelope hunt) I saw a total of 2 birds that were together and managed to get one. I found them about 40 yards off the road on a piece of BLM. After all that walking my truck was less then a 100 yards away when I got my one and only sage grouse.

Back