Montana Sage Grouse 2019

eajusc

Hi all, long time reader first time poster!

I live in NC but am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Montana with my pointers later this year to chase after Sage Grouse. It's been something I've thought about for a while--but each year I keep putting it off I'm wondering whether the season will continue to exist.

From my very preliminary research, it seems like the South Eastern corner of Montana would be my best bet (obviously I'm going to need to narrow things down a little more than that!).

Anything I should be looking out for as I scour OnX (other than sage...which I think I'm slowly learning to identify from satellite pictures!)? Any other advise for a guy from England, living in North Carolina, taking a trip "out west" for the first time?

I have mixed feelings about hunting sage grouse. Supposedly hunting is not a large part of mortality, yet hunting certainly piles it on a little. Oh well, I understand the desire to hunt em while you can.

The Sage Grouse program in Montana has this map: https://sagegrouse.mt.gov/ProgramMap

It is safe to assume that within those areas classified as Core, there is good sage grouse habitat, and therefore sage grouse. Might help you plan your hunt out a bit.

Hi all, long time reader first time poster!

I live in NC but am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Montana with my pointers later this year to chase after Sage Grouse. It's been something I've thought about for a while--but each year I keep putting it off I'm wondering whether the season will continue to exist.

From my very preliminary research, it seems like the South Eastern corner of Montana would be my best bet (obviously I'm going to need to narrow things down a little more than that!).

Anything I should be looking out for as I scour OnX (other than sage...which I think I'm slowly learning to identify from satellite pictures!)? Any other advise for a guy from England, living in North Carolina, taking a trip "out west" for the first time?

If you want to come out to Wyoming instead I can point you in a few directions and/or go with my pointer as well.

I have mixed feelings about hunting sage grouse. Supposedly hunting is not a large part of mortality, yet hunting certainly piles it on a little. Oh well, I understand the desire to hunt em while you can.

The Sage Grouse program in Montana has this map: https://sagegrouse.mt.gov/ProgramMap

It is safe to assume that within those areas classified as Core, there is good sage grouse habitat, and therefore sage grouse. Might help you plan your hunt out a bit.

I hear ya, I've had the same thoughts in my head. On the one hand I almost feel like a collector, especially hunting them when knowing they will potentially be listed in the future. On the other hand, the science (at least as I understand it) does seem to indicate that hunting is not a statistically significant issue for them.

Appreciate the map, that's something I've looked at a little and has given me a little guidance!

If you want to come out to Wyoming instead I can point you in a few directions and/or go with my pointer as well.

I definitely appreciate that offer! Given the distance I'll be driving I certainly haven't ruled out hunting in more than one state just yet! Everything I've read seems to indicate that Wyoming and Montana both have pretty similar landscapes for sage grouse? Is that accurate?

South of Malta, North of the Breaks can be good sage grouse country, as can Dillon area in the SW. It would be a lot of fun to hunt them in both MT & WY on a trip. They're not terribly difficult to hit, but they are a ton of fun to hunt because of how long you have to walk and the country you get to do it in.

I encourage everyone to get out and hunt native game birds. Sagies are fantastic indicator species of the overall health of our public lands, and they need sportsmen advocates. Bag limits are low, and so are season lengths. Hunters have stepped up significantly in the west when it comes to giving up opportunity in order to conserve the bird. MT's season went from 3 months to 1, and from a bag limit of 4 to 2. I'd keep an eye on FWP's website for the MT bird areas. Given a bit of a decline in the last year or so, they may once again shutter the hunt in some areas.

I definitely appreciate that offer! Given the distance I'll be driving I certainly haven't ruled out hunting in more than one state just yet! Everything I've read seems to indicate that Wyoming and Montana both have pretty similar landscapes for sage grouse? Is that accurate?

I can't speak for Montana, but Wyoming has more sage grouse than Elk.

Sage Grouse are truly a unique hunting experience.

You can hike miles without finding them or step out of the truck and have the dog on point before you get the gun out.

They hide and hold very well.

The best piece of advice I can give you when doing a DIY hunt is to find plateaus within a mile or two of water.

You can hike miles without finding them or step out of the truck and have the dog on point before you get the gun out.

The best piece of advice I can give you when doing a DIY hunt is to find plateaus within a mile or two of water.

Plateaus within a mile or two of water should definitely help me narrow it down--I'd always heard looking around water was good practice, appreciate the tip! It will certainly be different seeing my dog on point (hopefully) up in that landscape vs. down here in North Carolina!

My experience shows that you find them in one of three places:

Big flats like you describe

Next to the last gate of the day after you've walked 15 miles

Right next to the #$#@*$% road.

:)

Ridges, plateaus & places with good sage stand diversity along with good line of sight to watch for predators. All good spots to walk. Enjoy!

South of Malta, North of the Breaks can be good sage grouse country, as can Dillon area in the SW. It would be a lot of fun to hunt them in both MT & WY on a trip. They're not terribly difficult to hit, but they are a ton of fun to hunt because of how long you have to walk and the country you get to do it in.

I encourage everyone to get out and hunt native game birds. Sagies are fantastic indicator species of the overall health of our public lands, and they need sportsmen advocates. Bag limits are low, and so are season lengths. Hunters have stepped up significantly in the west when it comes to giving up opportunity in order to conserve the bird. MT's season went from 3 months to 1, and from a bag limit of 4 to 2. I'd keep an eye on FWP's website for the MT bird areas. Given a bit of a decline in the last year or so, they may once again shutter the hunt in some areas.

Thanks, Ben. All of that is further west in the state than I was looking at, definitely would have overlooked that. Native wild birds are hard to come by down here, I certainly don't need any encouragement, especially with the number of species you have up there! It'll be Christmas come early for the dogs.

Thanks, Ben. All of that is further west in the state than I was looking at, definitely would have overlooked that. Native wild birds are hard to come by down here, I certainly don't need any encouragement, especially with the number of species you have up there! It'll be Christmas come early for the dogs.

If you end up around Malta, you'll have sharpies & huns as well as sagies. My favorite place to hunt birds! Remember that the sage grouse seasons in WY & MT are roughly at the same time, with MT having a longer season, IIRC.

If you end up around Malta, you'll have sharpies & huns as well as sagies. My favorite place to hunt birds! Remember that the sage grouse seasons in WY & MT are roughly at the same time, with MT having a longer season, IIRC.

....but the bison, fear the bison.

I think you're right re: WY and MT Sage Grouse seasons--MT is the month of September whereas WY is just a portion of September.

Is there actually a chance to see bison in that part of the country? If so, sign me up! This may be a dumb question, but let's just put it down to me being foreign AND living on the east coast: are bears a worry when looking for sage grouse? I have to think the habitat is all wrong for them, but local knowledge never hurts!

There are bison around Malta from the American Prairie Reserve. They're not wild bison, but still fun to watch. You won't be hunting in pastures with them though.

No bears to speak of, but you'll be able to see a long ways off. ;)

There are bison around Malta from the American Prairie Reserve. They're not wild bison, but still fun to watch. You won't be hunting in pastures with them though.

No bears to speak of, but you'll be able to see a long ways off. ;)

So I'll have a good head start when I take off running!haha

I'd think about the prairies of the CMR. I've done some spot and stalk hunting during early archery and have seen plenty of sage grouse.

Right next to the #$#@*$% road.

Ted and I saw a covey right off the road in Wyoming while elk hunting. As we watched them achieve liftoff, he asked me “remind me again how the #%&$ I missed those?”

I saw lots of sage grouse on my Breaks hunt. Not on APR. Just didn't feel like killing any. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back