MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.30-06 Bullet/Load Selection Process

Well, that's cuz you're shootin' RUM's.....

Seriously though, I've been shooting Nosler and Federal loads and have had good luck as of late. Massammo.com had Federal 7mm-08 w/ 140gr Barnes TSX for ridiculously low prices a couple years ago. I bought a box, tried it (and it shot great), then ordered 2 cases of it. The stuff shoots less than 1" 3-shot groups and clocks @2900 fps in my Kimber Montana.

Then I needed some brass for my 325 WSM. It was during the shortage, and none could be found anywhere. I could have necked up 300 WSM but I found some Nosler blem load with 200gr Accubonds for about $20/box so I bought 8 boxes or so, mostly to get the brass. But it shot well and clocked at 2875, so good luck again.

Finally, I found a killer deal on Federal 200 grain Trophy Bonded tip 300 WSM on the internet. Bought one box, shot it (and it shot good), so I ordered 10 boxes. Haven't loaded for the 300 yet, but when the ammo is gone I will.

I still reload too, but the latest forays into factory ammo have me wondering if its really worth the time and effort...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I hear ya. Some guys never handload and are happy. I guess I got the 1/2 MOA or bust itch at one time, and that keeps me at it. Although 1/2 MOA concerns me less these days. Plus, I can't buy my buds bullets in loaded ammo. One of my releases from everyday BS. mtmuley

Well, that's cuz you're shootin' RUM's.....

Seriously though, I've been shooting Nosler and Federal loads and have had good luck as of late. Massammo.com had Federal 7mm-08 w/ 140gr Barnes TSX for ridiculously low prices a couple years ago. I bought a box, tried it (and it shot great), then ordered 2 cases of it. The stuff shoots less than 1" 3-shot groups and clocks @2900 fps in my Kimber Montana.

Have you had good performance with the 140 barnes? I am running low on accubonds and was planning in switching to copper, but had planned on trying the 120 ttsx vort-x load. I tried the 139 GMX already, it worked well on my moose but wasnt super accurate in my rifle.

Unless you’re going to be shooting at extreme distances, ladder tests aren’t worth the effort IMO.

I usually start at the book starting load with the bullet seated at the lands and work up with a chronograph until I hit velocity. Then I start messing with seating depth.

300-400 yards is probably my max distance, but I prefer ~200 if at all possible. I've reliably hit targets at 600 yards w/ this gun, but won't take that long of a shot in a hunting scenario.

Last edited:
You don't need to start with the lowest load in the book. You'll find several nodes throughout the entire powder range in the book, so pick a velocity that you'd like to be close to (most hunters want it towards the top end) and start on the lower end of that more specific range. You should have a pretty good idea within 20-25 shots of what works.

May I ask, why were you so unsatisfied with the 180gr loads? I personally shoot 178gr ELD-X with H4350 in my '06 and it's pretty solid. That's the best part of reloading though; you can pick nearly any bullet you want in a caliber and make it work in your gun.

I couldn't seem to get the 180 grains shooting in decent groupings, even with a DFT 2 lead sled. I also tried prone and from pads just to make sure. I found a halfway decent round for my gun, but I still wasn't very happy with it.

In my own 30-06 I really like the 165 gr. bullet weight as it seems to be a sweet spot for the 30-06. You get good velocity with good energy. I use 165 gr. Nosler Accubonds or Partitions on everything from antelope to elk and they have performed very well. IMR4350 and H4350 are two excellent powders to work with. Something in the 56-58 gr. range with those two powders also seems to work for a lot of folks. My own personal load is IMR4350 - 57.4 grs. with both the Partition and the Accubond shoots very well.

David

IMR4350 is what the Hornady book said, but I figured each gun would be different and the Win760 and Varget were easily available for me. I have about 3/4 lb of each, so not sure I want to throw out what I have...

Wife and I both always use 180-grain on elk. We started pretty much in the middle for our loads then tweaked from the most accurate groups. She wound up with the Hornady over IMR 4064 and I with the Sierra over H4831SC, which has become my "go-to" .30-'06 powder. I reloaded for many years before I got serious about experimenting with seating depth and was truly amazed at what a difference it can make in accuracy.

Good to know about the seating depth. As for the grain bullet, I've seen a lot of discussions about smaller than 150 grain .308's on elk and I'd rather keep the recoil reduced to keep my shots more accurate. The 180 grain factory bullets I wasn't real happy w/ the groupings I was getting. Maybe handloads would be different...

Last edited:
I wouldn't steal the loads listed in this thread. Use the powder and bullet combos recommended by the posters, then reload some of your own starting with the manufacturer's recommended minimum load and working up. Someone listed a 165gr accubond with 57.4 grs of IMR4350. I use the same combo, but have high pressure signs at 56 grs. Every rifle is different.

Good insight, thanks!

I own a Remingto model 700

I use to have a friend load for me (Literally tried just about everything in my :06) but after doing chrono tests and accuracy out to 300yrds I can't find anything better than Hornaday SST Superformance loads. The 150grn is an awesome deer round and the 165 does exactly what it needs to do on elk and other thick skinned critters. I know Im gonna get some razing about this but I figure I can't just be some guy on an island here. I can't argue with my Remington, she knows best. Not worth the time and energy to load my own when I can walk into a store and purchase a premium load that does the job as good if not better than anything I (my buddy) can load. Trust me I get the addiction and tinker factor of loading your own. It's a fun hobby for sure and for large volume shooters its a big money saver. Im not knocking it at all.

Stick w/ what works for you, right? ;)

I prefer using the "Scott Saterly" method for working up my loads. Basically you are firing 1 shot at a set charge weight, increasing by .2 grains usually with each round. You then record your velocities and look for flat spots where an increase in powder does little in the way of increasing velocity. This is a node. Usually if you load in the middle of it, you will have decent accuracy. Then just play with your OAL and you should be all set.

I have included a few photos for you to reference.

View attachment 92481
View attachment 92482

This is the fastest and most efficient way to develop a load that I have found.

Great process! As an engineer, I can really appreciate this approach. Did you build the graph yourself (I'm assuming in Excel), or find a template online somewhere?

The .06 really isn't too picky usually. The 4350's usually work well. Some guys get more fps from RL-17 and a couple other powders. Pick a bullet and powder then get to work. Don't overlook the Hammers. Not a mainstream bullet, but building a following. mtmuley

The .06 really isn't too picky usually. The 4350's usually work well. Some guys get more fps from RL-17 and a couple other powders. Pick a bullet and powder then get to work. Don't overlook the Hammers. Not a mainstream bullet, but building a following. mtmuley

For bullets my gun likes, yes. -- 150 grain bullet is nearly the same aim point @ 200 yards as a 180 grain bullet for what my gun likes. The stuff it doesn't like, well, they're nowhere close to each other w/ even the same 3 shot groupings w/ factory ammo...

Have you had good performance with the 140 barnes? I am running low on accubonds and was planning in switching to copper, but had planned on trying the 120 ttsx vort-x load. I tried the 139 GMX already, it worked well on my moose but wasnt super accurate in my rifle.

Mixed results, but the larger calibers seem fine.

My finace shot a whitetail with a 55 gr TSX in a 223 a couple years ago. Hit through the lungs, that buck ran a LONG way. Just a small hole with a purplish color around it when I gutted him. Luckily there was tracking snow or we never would have recovered that deer.

Used the TTSX 80gr .257 in a .25-06 for a couple deer. That one did more internal damage, but didn’t leave much for blood trails, and the deer seemed to run a noticeably further than my usual 100 gr Hornady IL-FB loads. One of the deer may not have been recovered without snow.

Have shot 3 deer with the 7mm-08 140 TSX load. All bled well and didn’t run any farther than usual.

Have shot one elk with a 150 TTSX in a 300 WBY. Good amount of damage, didn’t run farther than normal. But not a drop of blood despite the exit would.

The good news is all bullets have exited and a my rifles seem to like them without much fuss.

Great process! As an engineer, I can really appreciate this approach. Did you build the graph yourself (I'm assuming in Excel), or find a template online somewhere?

I used excel. I can never remember how, so there is a YouTube video I saved that walks me through it. It's the one that's under 2 minutes long.

The blue ink is what I do at home, red is from the range. I then print out my graph and tape it to the back of my load sheet for future reference. I just use packing tape for that. That's how I do all my rifle loads and how I keep my records straight. Really makes it nice if I've given up on a load for a while then come back to it.

my favorite load for the 30-06 is h4350 pushing a Barnes 168gr. T-TSX just under max load. I think the 165-168gr. weight is probably the best choice for an all around load for the 30-06. good luck with whatever you decide.

I used excel. I can never remember how, so there is a YouTube video I saved that walks me through it. It's the one that's under 2 minutes long.

The blue ink is what I do at home, red is from the range. I then print out my graph and tape it to the back of my load sheet for future reference. I just use packing tape for that. That's how I do all my rifle loads and how I keep my records straight. Really makes it nice if I've given up on a load for a while then come back to it.

Good to know, thanks! I did a search for Scott Saterly on YouTube, but none of the videos are that short (all around 10 minutes). Any chance you can provide the name of the video or link?

Last edited:
Back