Ohio Public land win

dcopas78

Hopefully, all of this falls into place. If so, I'll have about 2300 acres of public land to hunt about 5 miles from my house. It appears LWCF was/is providing about 34% of the money to acquire the land in the form of a grant reimbursement. I'm not sure if the failure to reauthorize will affect this or not or if it was something already earmarked for payout in 2018. After years of bashing ODNRs seemingly nonchalant attitude toward hunters who weren't leasing and had little private access, I have to admit that I have been impressed with some of their recent activity to promote public hunting. General location is south of Chicken Hollow road near junction of St. Rt. 763 in Brown County, Ohio. I can't wait till this goes final so I can start stomping around!

https://ecb.ohio.gov/Print/PrintCBR.aspx?CBR=DNR0101579

It is hard for hunters w 0 access to public lands, to understand the value of public lands. The more public lands available to hunters, anglers, other users, the more support available for preserving and expanding public lands. DCopas, I hope this happens for you, your family and neighbors. Do you know if any sportsmen's groups are advocating for this acquisition?

I just heard about it this evening from a local friend. I'm not aware that anyone has been pushing for it. I'm assuming since the appropriation has been approved, it will probably happen. I'm just not sure how it will be affected by the LWCF situation.

Good deal! There a few things better than a piece of public land right by the house. Good luck to you this season

1,825 acres is nothing to sneeze at. I'm glad the ODNR is making this purchase, and hope they continue to pick up property around the state. Finally, the ODNR is doing something worthy of celebration. Little too far from me though, so have fun on your new stomping grounds! And yeah, post some pics when you can.

1,825 acres is nothing to sneeze at. I'm glad the ODNR is making this purchase, and hope they continue to pick up property around the state. Finally, the ODNR is doing something worthy of celebration. Little too far from me though, so have fun on your new stomping grounds! And yeah, post some pics when you can.

Sure thing! Are any of the AEP acquisitions in your neck of the woods?

They have also purchased some land around Funk Bottoms that opens up a landlocked piece of the marsh and a parcel around Mosquito was announced this week as well. Both purchases will help duck hunters access previously inaccessible land.

They also leased land around Mogadore Reservoir this year for archery hunting only. This land was owned by the city of Akron and not hunted in years.

Along with the announcement last year of the Jessie Owens property south of Zanesville which I think is eventually going to be over 13000 acres this was a good year for Ohio public lands.

They have also purchased some land around Funk Bottoms that opens up a landlocked piece of the marsh and a parcel around Mosquito was announced this week as well. Both purchases will help duck hunters access previously inaccessible land.

They also leased land around Mogadore Reservoir this year for archery hunting only. This land was owned by the city of Akron and not hunted in years.

Along with the announcement last year of the Jessie Owens property south of Zanesville which I think is eventually going to be over 13000 acres this was a good year for Ohio public lands.

I agree! I hope it continues.

I'm looking forward to coming and stomping around in the Jessie Owens property, possibly this turkey season, but will be there in November for sure!

If only they would limit the amount of hunters that access it a little. I've tried AEP land and and it was quite pillaged. I think in a week of hunting we saw 2 deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back