Caribou Gear

Some thoughts on boots

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Here are my observations on two styles of boots I wore this year. I will preface all of this with the caveat I have NO brand loyalty when it comes to boots. 1) they must fit and not tear up my feet and 2) they should provide reasonable durability. Every boot brand recommendation should be couched with “if they fit your foot type”. I find “best boot” debates meaningless.

Disclaimer: I get a good discount on these through ExpertVoice. Discount or no, if they sucked I would not buy or recommend them (Lowa cough).

Pair 1 was the Zamberlan 1996 Vioz Lux GTX RR. I had to replace the insole in order to accommodate caveat #1, and since then they’ve been extremely comfortable. The last they use has a pretty roomy toebox, which I really like. The downside was the heel cup was a little sloppy once they started to break in. Superfeet fixed this issue. This is what they look like after 1 year. Not bad, as I am kind of hard on boots.

C58135A1-9157-4F92-B231-75BE57CEC8B9.jpg

I was a little concerned they didn’t have a full rand. No need to be.

B2A58048-484B-43E5-BD14-941A015AEB8E.jpg

Sole wear is okay, not great. They are resoleable.

D72B0387-86ED-49A2-BC6B-91260F8F0D14.jpg

0E5F2AD1-BCCE-415A-9A1C-4647C049C36E.jpg

Second pair is the Zamberlan Guide 960 RR.

93528395-8DFF-4FC4-B399-CC37C55408AA.jpg

DB01E58B-4025-4B8E-B37F-91EFD1D4EBEE.jpg

The sole on this one will likely wear much better. It also is a little stiffer in terms of lateral support.

0CC80128-F4A9-4ADA-9C6A-61BBB204AB8B.jpg

I have three hunts on these, and provided they hold up as well as the Vioz, these are going to be a kickass boot.

Interestingly enough, I was more concerned about the lack of rand on the Vioz, with the sole design secondary to that. It’s quite clear that concern is a moot point, but the sole design is not optimal for extensive off trail travel in rocky terrain.

The full Vibram sole design of the Guide is much more appropriate for this type of use. The Vioz is an outstanding boot and does very well for most hunting. Lots of rocks, the Guide (or similarly designed boot) will be a better choice.

I haven’t had any issues with leaking, and have treated the with them Hydrobloc recommended by Zamberlan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to buy several pairs of boots every couple years. I've spent 30 years working outdoors and could get by with most any boot in my younger days. Now though, if my boots aren't good and feet aren't happy, my knees, hips and back hurts too. Here's what I've had over the past several years and wear on a continual basis. Of note, size 9 regular and I tend to like the gel style insoles the best. Mostly sofsole but recently bought a pair of L&S Synergy and like them so much bought 2 more pairs.

Meindl Denali - Absolute favorite for a long hard day of hunting.
Meindle Perfekt Extreme 400 gram - Great comfort, though not as warm as I'd have thought.
Schnees Hunter Pacs - Another favorite for all day hiking in the snow.
Scarpa SL Active - After 6 months and many miles they are getting better but just OK for now. Better with L&S Synergy. I plan to use them as my overall summer work boot.
Zamberlan 960 Guide - Found I could wear them on flat ground and light trails but never have felt great to me. I think the toe box is too tight and I have a rub spot on my pinky toe no matter the insole.
Cabelas outfitter 400 gram. My main fall, winter daily wearer at work. It took a lot of different insoles to find the right fit but now are pretty comfortable.
Lowa Renegade GTX - My favorite light hiker to wear in the summer.
Cosmos Hercules - Hate them, they hurt my feet.

I haven't tried Crispi or Kenetrek yet but figure I will in the next couple years.

Last edited:
This was a good post. Appreciate both yours and BRI's comments since I am looking to purchase a quality pair of hunting boots.

I bought a pair of Asolo TPS 520s prior to hunting season for $160 last summer - seemed like a good deal. Only 50 miles or so on them and the soles began to fall off. A shame because I found them to be so comfortable. After years of trying to be frugal or get a deal I've settled into the idea that you just can't skimp on boots.

I have become a huge fan of the Schnees Beartooth. If you look hard, you can find a detailed review on them in another forum! (Hint: what's my handle?)

I have become a huge fan of the Schnees Beartooth. If you look hard, you can find a detailed review on them in another forum! (Hint: what's my handle?)

The Beartooth looks like a great boot and has all the features I would looking for. I’ll be honest, price drove my decision between the two.

BRI,

I think you will find fit on the Crispi to be similar to the Zamberlan. I doubt you’ll find any more room in the toebox.

Speaking of which...

I purchased a pair of Beartooth's in march of 2015, 3 bears, 4 elk, 5 pronghorns, 1 caribou, 3 mule deer, 2 whitetail, 4 turkeys and a ton of hiking in WY, MT, CO, AK, Scotland, Iceland, etc. etc. this is what they are looking like today. (maybe 1200-1500 miles of use)

I too absolutely love these boots they were comfortable since day one and I think hit the sweet spot for stiffness, decent on long trail hikes and rigid enough for side hilling on steep slopes all day. These boots are still waterproof and kept my feet dry this fall running around on Adak. My only complaints would be that they do require regular maintenance, I have glued the rand about 6 times now, and I have been applying obenauf's after every trip ~ 80 miles of hiking or so, and they are a bit heavy, which is making me consider synthetic boots. That said I think they have at least another season in them and will likely get another pair when these are done.

Warning while they make great boots Schnees has absolutely terrible customer service, so don't expect much help if you run into an off pair of boots. The very first time I lace on these boots one of the lace hooks snapped off, I immediately took the boots in with the box, receipt, having never even taken them on the trail, Schnees wouldn't exchange them but said they would repair the hook. Took me a month to get the boots back because Schnees lost my information, I only got my boots back after calling repeatedly and going into the store, to top of off the experience they charged me $15. I talked to the owner and he said he would make it right after posting this story on this forum and that never happened, I went in the store and got the brush off. I had a similar experience a year later getting a pair of pacboots resoled, and then again when the rand on these boots started to peal. After the 3rd rodeo I just starting gluing the boots myself, I didn't need the headache. (I was living in Bozeman at the time of these incidents and this was my experience going into the store, I can't imagine trying to deal with them from afar).

boots.jpg

2019-01-04_8-24-28.jpg

Last edited:
I'll add in my line up:
Meindl Perfekt 200 - I have many miles on these boots and they have held up very well. I have a narrow foot and these fit me very well.
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 gram - I only have a couple hunts on them but probably the most comfortable boot I've ever had. They felt really good under a heavy pack.
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000 gram - Still in the break in period so too early to tell but they are just as comfortable as the 400 gram
Lowa Tibet GTX 200 gram - I have struggled a bit to find the best sock/insole combo to make these fit perfectly as they are a little wide for my foot. I've worn them on a couple hunts and I am happy with the durability and support. I think they will grow on me once I can get the fit better.
Schnees Granite - Very good durability, support and comfortable with a heavy pack. For me the heel cup fit is a little weird, could be the insole but it doesnt bother me much so I haven't fiddled with it.
Hanwag Alverstone - still in the break in phase but very comfortable, slightly snug fit. For anyone with a wider foot, the wide version may be better.
Hanwag Yellowstone II Hikers - Best hikers I've owned. On year 3 and I wear them almost daily, do some scouting and have a couple warmer weather hunts on them. Very durable, good support and very comfortable.
Lowa Renagade - Very comfortable but started to fall apart year 2 - the sole was starting to separate and there was basically no tread left. I'm on the fence about buying another pair as I would expect a little more durability from a ~$225 hiker.
Under Armour Valsetz - I wear these a lot in the summer for walking/hiking as they are like a tall running shoe. Very light and comfortable. These are my primary boot for antelope when its dry. They are not waterproof at all.
Danner Radical Hiker - Fell apart first year. Wouldn't buy another pair.
Under Armour Brow Tine - good fit, comfortable out of the box. Leaked heavily right off the bat. Ended up throwing them away after a 5 day hunt. Would not buy again.

Nice review's Guy's something else I would add while I have not bought the most expensive boots available. I have and do look for Quality. Boots I have had fail in 9 Days of Hunting Pheasant's in Iowa, Cabela's several types, Danner , Rockey, Browning.
What am I using today Mindel mostly for comfort in both Hikers and full length Hunting Boots. I have had one pair of Mindel Hikers have sole separation after about 8 years.
I have found out Pheasant Hunting to be much harder on boots than hunting Big Game in CO,MT,ID,WY,SD,IA, and Canada. How can this be Prairie Grass yes that golden looking kind of grass about 3 feet tall, that are a Pheasant magnet to Pheasant's. When hunting Pheasant's walking them up I do Not walk on game trails or the easy path through the grass, I go in after them. Family and Friends call me the Pheasant Whisper because I always seem to get more birds up in front of me than them. My Father taught me long ago No dog will find every bird, and I have hunted behind some great ones in the last 40 plus years, so you have to go in after them to get them up even when hunting with a dog.
I measure the Quality of Pheasant hunting by how many Miles per bird bagged, and its not uncommon to walk in excess of 10 miles daily hunting Wild Pheasant's in Iowa.
Prairie Grass has a sharp edge and will cut any exposed thread on the front and the boot just starts to come unraveled.
Why I do like Mindel boots is they have little exposed thread and I wear leg gaiters also these days. Do I think my boots are great no but there are very good and very comfortable.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back