Meat Grinder

Jmnhunter

thinking of finally buying one, I would only need to grind up to 2-3 deer a year tops; wanted to stay under $200, was looking at the STX's on amazon or Cabelas Pro Series DC grinder; any other suggestions for under that price mark?

thanks!

then next it'll be a sausage stuffer..

You missed a pile of sales around Thanksgiving that would have gotten you some killer grinders for that price so if you can wait and watch some may pop back up on random sales.

If you can't wait spend the extra few bucks and buy the #8 LEM Mighty Bite with the metal gears. LEM often has promo codes so you may be able to get their prices quite a bit lower.

Though a bit over your budget, but ff you're wife/household doesn't have a KitchenAid mixer; I'd suggest one of those and getting the grinding attachment. Not the fastest grinder, but way more versatile to have than a dedicated grinder IMO. Plus, if it makes the wife happy...

thinking of finally buying one, I would only need to grind up to 2-3 deer a year tops; wanted to stay under $200, was looking at the STX's on amazon or Cabelas Pro Series DC grinder; any other suggestions for under that price mark?

thanks!

then next it'll be a sausage stuffer..

I have had good luck with Hakka. I have the Grinder, Stuffer, and Meat Mixer.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Gri...&qid=1546614873&sr=8-1&keywords=hakka+grinder

https://www.amazon.com/20-Pound-10-...&qid=1546614873&sr=8-3&keywords=hakka+grinder

https://www.amazon.com/Sausage-Stuf...967&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hakka+stuffer&psc=1

I use the STX from Amazon. The negatives are: loud, auger and housing are aluminum. Positives: works great. Very important that when you set it up you tighten the locking ring. Too loose and the knife will not properly cut at the grinding plate and you get mush coming out. I usually grind 1-2 goats or deer per month. I have had it a couple of years now. I would also recommend you not force it. I am careful of the feed rate and take my time.

The machine is light - feels like about 10 lbs to me. Makes it easy to put away.

I am sure this grinder will not compete with the grinders from Cabelas and LEM, but for me it has been worth the money I paid.

Though a bit over your budget, but ff you're wife/household doesn't have a KitchenAid mixer; I'd suggest one of those and getting the grinding attachment. Not the fastest grinder, but way more versatile to have than a dedicated grinder IMO. Plus, if it makes the wife happy...

If you go this route get the metal housing version of the Kitchenaid Grinder attachment. The plastic version actually works well and I just broke mine after 10 or 15 years of use but for the money the metal one is well worth it.

I have the cabelas pro series dc like you mention for two seasons now and has served me well. Put two deer through it last year. I wanted to get the larger nicer girders but for the leap in price I went with the cheeper option. Just ground 25 pounds of venison last week and worked great again for me.

thanks guys, yes i did see the old grinder post but it looked like most of the replies were in regards of the $300+ models

we should have a processing equip sales thread.

any time someone sees a good sale on equip you could post it.

Anyone see any good deals on mixers or stuffers lately?

Weston has 25% off site wide if you use the meateater podcast promo code or BHA code; I'll let you do the homework to get the code as I'm sure they didnt mean to have people post the codes on the sites without trying to listen first...

I found a used commercial grade grinder that came out of a supermarket for $220 and later found another one for a friend. Stores close and equipment gets auctioned, look around.

I have the Cabela's Pro 1/2hp grinder and we love it. We do about 3 deer a year here. Hoping to do some elk and bear this year!

Gary
thats the one i bought last year and love it so far, we'll see in about 4 more years how it holds up but so far so good

I can attest to the KitchenAid attachment. I have the metal version and have used it grind and stuff about 20lbs of sausage recently. Seemed to work well but I don’t have much to compare it to. For the amount I do a year though it seems to work just fine

I have a KitchenAid Pro with a fixed head and 1HP motor. I bought the all metal grinder attachment and it is easily the best grinder I have ever used. It ground circles around a dedicated 1/2HP stand alone grinder. I've done a bunch of wild turkey thighs and drumsticks, pork, and some elk. It chewed up everything without even taxing the motor. My last grind was about 20 pounds of wild turkey and pork sausage. It honestly ground everything so quickly that I was disappointed in how quickly it went because I was enjoying it. I also doubled ground the batch. I wouldn't hesitate to grind an entire whitetail with it.

I will add that I believe the this combo works mostly because of my oversized mixer and not so much because of the attachment. That being said, I have way more power than I need so I think a less powerful model would still do a great job.

I have a commercial kitchen aid and went with the grinder and sausage stuffer attachment. Haven't used the stuffer but the grinder works pretty slick. I got the plastic one as they had it on the shelf at ace. The auger and cutting dies are metal I put them in the freezer for a while before grinding and grind partially frozen meat. I would like metal but this one was only about 25$ I think the sausage attatchment was another 15.

Hard to beat the bottom end Cabela's for that price. For only a few deer, they do fine. We put lots of deer through small grinders, before going to large grinders. We now have a one-horse and love it. It is big enough, that it is hard to move it around. I would love to have the biggest one that they make, but holy crap that thing is heavy! It would need a designated cart for it. I grind enough stuff to justify it, but I think this one will outlive me anyway!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back