Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New gun new problems

S13tsilvia

So i bought a custom 470 capstick a while ago based off a rem700 action and had to wait quite a while for dies, shells and projectiles to turn up, once i accumulated all of the above i FL resized all the brass in the CH4D dies and popped in a primer.
Tossed in a projectile to play around with seating depths and went to close the bolt.... pushed the cartridge home and will get one click down on the bolt but wont budge any further...
hmmm so played around with different seating depths but no good.
tried just a resized shell and even that wont close....... ok time to break out the calipers...
tried one of my 338 win mags and that closed perfectly fine..
measure up the 2 rounds and only difference is appears the brass i am using is too long between the bottom of the case and the belt... specs say headspace is 5.59mm mine is like 5.79 on all the shells..... grrr so i play around with sanding down a fraction of the belt to confirm and sure enough closes perfect... so my 30 cases marked as 470 capstick i spent over $100 bucks on are all stuffed.

looks like i will get some used 375 h&H brass and have a go and resizing to 470 and see if that will work....joys of a wildcat !!!

Sounds like a Smith should have a look at that one.
Might need a go with a finishing reamer.
Unless it has a barrel with a barrel nut. Then it just needs adjusted with a go guage.

the rifle has been around for quite a few years, not brand new so im pretty confident its not the gun but the ammo

I'm not familiar with the 470 Capstick - is it a 375 opened up to 470?

Ah, just found some info on it - yes indeed a 375 blown out and opened up to .475"

Wow! That's quite a cannon! :)

Did the dies you're using come with the rifle? Am wondering if it's time for a chamber cast? Then get dies made that will produce ammo sized to that chamber.

Guy

Last edited:
yeah the dies came with the rifle, i plan on taking it to a local smith who actually built it over 8 years ago for a check up.

Back