Bison point build up?

Not a "may be guided", but a will be guided. The tag prices have risen a bunch since I drew, so I doubt I'll be putting in anymore. It was a neat experience, though it's far from a hunt IMO.

Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Point Creep is also rampant on that bison application. If you are not in max point pool, may be decades as a non-resident to get a bull tag.

As mentioned AK has bison tags. Odds are low to draw, but decent success rates. There are 3-4 different herds to hunt, of varying difficulty of access or trespass fee required. The easier the access the less of a "hunt" it will be. The experience could be a fly in hunt, a float hunt, or a drive up and shoot one in a hay field and drive around type hunt.

You need a hunting license to apply, you can apply for 6 chances at $10 each, then you have to buy the tag if you draw. I think for a NR you'd be into it about $150-200. Not sure what the NR hunting license fee is these days. No point system, and pure lotto.

I waffle back and forth on hunting bison. I'm not that intrigued by the hunt, or the animal.

Last edited:
If your interested in going bison hunting in Alberta Il drive and get your meat into the states for you. Hopefully we are hauling two back! I apply for all the lower 48 bison hunts and pay attention to the odds. I anticipate it taking 5 to 10 years for me to get a tag now that I have 3 or 4 points in each state that does points. I might hit the lottery tags prior a draw tag with as terrible of odds as AZ and UT are. This is the first year I started applying for Alaska. Got to give myself every opportunity to get a tag. So back to Alberta. I am just now starting to research that one.

How much is Alberta?

As mentioned AK has bison tags. Odds are low to draw, but decent success rates. There are 3-4 different herds to hunt, of varying difficulty of access or trespass fee required. The easier the access the less of a "hunt" it will be. The experience could be a fly in hunt, a float hunt, or a drive up and shoot one in a hay field and drive around type hunt.

You need a hunting license to apply, you can apply for 6 chances at $10 each, then you have to buy the tag if you draw. I think for a NR you'd be into it about $150-200. Not sure what the NR hunting license fee is these days. No point system, and pure lotto.

I waffle back and forth on hunting bison. I'm not that intrigued by the hunt, or the animal.
I'll be in Delta Junction next month helping a pard hunt one. Be interesting to compare that to the Custer State Park "hunt" I did...

I'll be in Delta Junction next month helping a pard hunt one. Be interesting to compare that to the Custer State Park "hunt" I did...

You won't be in a T-shirt, I can tell you that. hahah I know a few guys that have hunted that tag, it can be tough to find the animals, or it can be really easy. I guess they are pretty spooky later in the season as they've been hunted since September by various groups. Hope you guys get one.

I only did about 10 minutes of research but found guided hunts as low as 7k and no draw hunt for 2018-19 season due to the population dropped too low. It was a 1% draw chance anyway so not what I was thinking. I will look through the other provinces and see what I can find over next few weeks.

Whoops, the cost of the draw or the license was $60. the information was not well organized or I'm just used to reading it in Nevada standards. Il do more research later.

MT is not a bonus point, it’s just throw your name in the hat.
And to be quite honest, it’s really not a good tag for a non resident unless you can take a lot of time off, it is purely migratory. I’ve heard of NR’s that can only take a week off for the hunt and there are no bison in the area then they end up eating the tag because they can’t come back.
We are into January and there still aren’t any migrating out of the park

I threw my name in the hat for the first time this year. I picked Utah because of the lower tag fees, but the odds are astronomical. Probably never draw an any sex tag, but hey who knows!

It’s something I want to do once just for the historical fact of it. I’ve been fascinated with bison since I was a child and fulfilled a lifelong dream of seeing them in Yellowstone. Now I’d love the chance to hunt one and if it was within the allowed calibers I’d prefer to use a time period correct caliber such as 45-70 or something like that.

It’s something I want to do once just for the historical fact of it. I’ve been fascinated with bison since I was a child and fulfilled a lifelong dream of seeing them in Yellowstone. Now I’d love the chance to hunt one and if it was within the allowed calibers I’d prefer to use a time period correct caliber such as 45-70 or something like that.
drew az cow bison for kaibab plateau. My period correct caliber is bow and arrow...Will be costliest tag soup to date if do not arrow one.

drew az cow bison for kaibab plateau. My period correct caliber is bow and arrow...Will be costliest tag soup to date if do not arrow one.
Someone is super excited about their tag!
I was just sure someone with <10 posts had resurrected this.

What grain arrow you flinging on this one?

Someone is super excited about their tag!
I was just sure someone with <10 posts had resurrected this.

What grain arrow you flinging on this one?
Why yes, yes I am. have not even considered working up a “load” yet. I shoot 465 grain arrows normally. Do I “need” anything different?

How did your bison hunt go? I drew the June bull tag next year.

MT doesnt have Bison points, its a straight draw with really really bad odds for a resident. I think I was #2973 on the alternate list this yr...which is stupid since they only do 50 alternates if they ever actually do it which they havent in many yrs. I was #13 one yr and never got called. I gotta think for a non resident is just above 0%. My wife drew a couple yrs ago. I wouldn't call the MT harvest a hunt by any stretch. Cool critters and pretty tasty. They are not wiley critters, they deal with tourist half the yr in Yellowstone and dont distinguish a difference between tourists and hunters. The hardest part is finding one on public.

Last edited:
you could always hop across the border and hunt them in Mexico. not technically "free range" but there are huge ranches with basically feral herds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back