Sleep / shelter system, been trying to lose weight............

Arrow Guru

I bought what I thought was state of the art in 2012 for back pack hunting. I bought the OR Advanced bivy 2.5 pounds and a REI 20 degree radiant sleeping bag which runs right at 3.5 pounds. Then I have an Alpine Hikers Dome tent that hit the scale at 4.5 pounds. Add to that my sleeping pad and I am toting right at 10.5 - 11 pounds in a sleeping / shelter system. So I started doing some research and this is what I have come up with.

I opted to go with a Clark NX 270 4 season hammock 2.9 pounds. Has a bug net and a solid cover for full containment

A Nemo Tensor thermal sleeping pad. 1.0 pound, 3" thick and should give good insulation for the underside of the hammock

Evolution Rain Fly / tarp 1.5 pounds including lines, spikes and bag

REI Igneo 17 degree bag 1.5 pounds

I will also buy a Nemo spike 1P tent that only weighs 1.7 pounds

With the hammock the entire system will weigh 6 pounds packed weight! Less if I take the tent in instead.

What do you guys think?

I have found that when you are looking to go light and be comfortable the mountain climbers and the granola boys know whats up......

I have tried a bunch of different setups over the years and I really enjoy hunting way back there so I have tried to get my set up as light as possible.

I use some combination of the following:

Bag: Marmot Helium 15 Degree ~2lb 1oz
Pad: Thermarest Neoair xtherm ~15 oz
Tent: MSR Hubba Hubba, 2lb 9oz fly ground cloth only 3lb. 14 oz full tent
Thermolite Reactor Liner 14oz
Max weight: 7lbs, 12oz.

I have yet to backpack hunt with max weight, from mid august to mid October I typically bring the pad, bag, and fly/ground cloth ~6lb. 9oz. The full setup is typically only used late season car camping, if I think it will be especially cold I bring the liner, if the weather forecast shows 10 days of sun I ditch the tent entirely, if I know the area is going to be buggy I bring the full tent. It's a two person tent as well so there is weight savings when I hunt with a buddy.

There is no right or wrong way to go and everything really depends on area and weather and your preferences. After camping for most of my life all around the country from the southwest to AK, I have figured out a couple of things: with all my clothes on + bag I can camp in pretty cold conditions, I'm never too hot with a 15 degree bag, if I need a shelter because of the weather then I want a real f-ing shelter (I'm not a tarp guy), and I don't like gear that is complicated to set up or requires specific campsites or conditions. I want to be able to run on auto pilot after a long day.

I think anywhere in the 5-7lbs range is great for the fall (if you are just archery elk hunting in the late summer shoot for sub 4lbs, late august- mid sept is the easiest time to be in the woods), I would probably run the bivy, pad, and bag for most conditions then play with the tent/tarp for snow/ rain, with regard to the spike tent, keep in mind that if your bag touches the tent wall during a rainstorm it will get wet.

This is one of the best backpack hunting gear lists on the forum IMHO...https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...284900-Backpack-Mule-Deer-Gear-List-Sept-2018

Last edited:
That still seems super heavy to me. My tent, pad and quilt (including guy line, stuff sacks and stakes) combined weigh a total 45.23 oz (2.83 lbs)

I'm running a 20 degree EE quilt, neoair x-lite pad, and a home-brew dyneema pyramid tent (single trekking pole in the middle).

Yeah, that's still way, way heavy. I have a Warbonnet Traveler and Edge tarp that weighs (with stakes and lines) 1.73 pounds. My underquilt (20 degree HammockGear Incubator) weighs 22 oz. and topquilt (30 degree HammockGear Burrow) weighs 16.1 oz. All tolled, that's 4.09 pounds and I still think that's heavy, even though it's plenty warm to below freezing.

FWIW, my next setup is going to be a tarp and bivy, and sleeping pad with my current quilt, will be a little under 2.5 lbs. It's hard to get any lighter and still be reasonably safe/comfortable.

I'm with wllm, my lightest setup is super light, but it's not an all-condition situation. Flexibility in sleeping gear is an ideal plan if you have the budget and a strategy to make good use of it.

My system is a Kifaru SuperTarp w/ the annex, Sierra Designs Zissou 12 Sleeping Bag, and the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Ultra.

Kifaru SuperTarp = 1.1 lbs
Kifaru Annex = 0.36 lbs
MSR Groundhogs (18) = 0.56 lbs
Sierra Designs Zissou 12 Sleeping Bag = 2.44 lbs
Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Ultra = 1.56 lbs

Total = 6.02 lbs

I guess by some peoples standards I'm heavy. I like it, but wouldn't actively hunt with it on my back.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I can cut more weight for sure, but I have cut 4lbs from my past sleep system but I have gone way way up in comfort level. I feel like any weight shaved from here will sacrifice comfort. So I am going to run this for a while. I think I have proven that I am perfectly willing to invest, so if this doesn't cut it I will back up and punt.

You could listen to the Vortex podcast. They had one on lightweight stuff and spoke specifically about sleeping gear.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back