Caribou Gear

Squirrels and more squirrels

JTHOMP

Cooked a squirrel gravy the other night and it was delicious as always. In preparation for New Years Eve I wanted to do something out of the MeatEater cook book, and really liked the duck nachos recipe. While not wanting to cook more food when had plenty of left overs I decided to change up the recipe a little. Removed the remaining sausage and mushrooms from the gravy and cook the squirrel until it was easily picked by hand.

For nachos used one bag of chips and did two layers of chips, cheese, mushrooms sausage squirrel meat, tomatoes and jalapenos (on one side for the picky eaters). Then top layer of cheese. Put it in the oven and baked until cheese melted. Also had guacamole, black olives, and black beans on the side. It was a big hit.

Self critique for next time:
1) Don't skimp out on vegies, and throw it all in.
2) Add more gravy for overall moisture and goodness.
4) Needed another squirrel worth of meat and wish I would've paid attention to how many pieces I used. Two nutria killed the other day yielded 13.2 pound of meat so I'll likely use some of that for the next batch.
3) Use less chips and add fresh greens to make it a nacho salad.

Looking forward to trying it again.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Very nicely done!! Though not a lot, I've done more squirrel hunting this winter than anytime in the recent past. I very much enjoy it. Just wish I could run into some fox squirrels as all I've shot this year so far are greys.

Very nicely done!! Though not a lot, I've done more squirrel hunting this winter than anytime in the recent past. I very much enjoy it. Just wish I could run into some fox squirrels as all I've shot this year so far are greys.

Glad to hear you been chasing them! I hope to have a dog within the next year and get serious about them. For finding fox squirrels I think you just have to find a new area that has them. Some places have them some places don't.

I see plenty of them in town! ;) My bird dog keeps a weathered eye out for them in the yard. I'm thinking about taking him out and just see if what he does. He's treed a few by sight in the yard. I do think hunting them with a dog would be a hoot!

Are you getting a fiest or a cur?

Get you a high end pellet gun and make a few drive bys!

No lie I'm looking up dogs as we speak Lol. I've never hunted with a squirrel dog but have coon hunted and love hounds for their mouth, but from what I'm researching might not make the best squirrel dog as they aren't as reliant on sight as a cur or fiest. I think I want a cur but even among cur not sure which breed. In an ideal world I would like to spend my January and Februarys squirrel hunting in the morning, deer or pig hunting in the evening, and coon hunting at night. A single dog that can hunt squirrels and coons would be great.

That would make for a full day of fun! The one problem I've run into in trying to add a squirrel dog to my house is that all are known shedders, which the wife is not a fan of. Good luck on your search!

I see plenty of them in town! ;) My bird dog keeps a weathered eye out for them in the yard. I'm thinking about taking him out and just see if what he does. He's treed a few by sight in the yard. I do think hunting them with a dog would be a hoot!

Are you getting a fiest or a cur?

Ha, Gus, my golden, is the squirrel whisperer, or maybe I should say squirrel scarer. He somehow gets them to panic and fall out of trees so he can catch them on the bounce. I don't understand how he does it, but he's gotten 3-4 that way. He is very proud of them too.

Glad to hear you been chasing them! I hope to have a dog within the next year and get serious about them. For finding fox squirrels I think you just have to find a new area that has them. Some places have them some places don't.

Yeah. Fox squirrels are where you find them. Although I would say I see most of the fox's in old timber.

That would make for a full day of fun! The one problem I've run into in trying to add a squirrel dog to my house is that all are known shedders, which the wife is not a fan of. Good luck on your search!

Maybe a poodle cur mix will do the trick. We'll call them poocurs. LOL

That's an idea!! The dog breed I have now started the same way. IIRC the guy started with 90 German shorthairs and 10 pudels with the result being the pudelpointer.

I'm running into the same issue in my area. From my very limited observations when I don't see any leaf dens I only find grays.

Those leaf dens are good markers. They are called "dreys" by the way.

Fox squirrels are a bit more prevalent along timber edges and bottom lands, if that is of any help to you. They will be found in smaller, more isolated tracts of timber than greys as a result. Our fox squirrels are pretty quiet right now. They are in their post-rut refugia, kicking back popping acorns and watching bowl games I guess. :)

I'm running into the same issue in my area. From my very limited observations when I don't see any leaf dens I only find grays.

Not saying you aint on to something, but keep us updated on how it develops for you and your areas.
In areas where I know only cat squirrels are present I see dens no different then where both are present, and have killed and observed many cats going back and forth with a leaf in the mouth to dress up a nest.

8215.jpg

This one was only 12 ft away a few minutes ago, but a .54 round ball tears them up a mite. 5 or 6 playing grab-ass right now. Still makin' babies around here.

JTHOMP, thanks. I learn something new every day. I've heard fox squirrels called reds down there, but not greys called cats.

This one was only 12 ft away a few minutes ago, but a .54 round ball tears them up a mite. 5 or 6 playing grab-ass right now. Still makin' babies around here.

JTHOMP, thanks. I learn something new every day. I've heard fox squirrels called reds down there, but not greys called cats.

Thats a nice one!
Can't say I've ever heard a fox squirrel being called a red squirrel, but makes a lot more sense than calling a grey squirrel a cat squirrel.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back