Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming Cow Elk Unit 7 weather and access

I have to ask... why? Do agree with Buzz. Less people in the Madres.

Just always wondered why they give thousands of tags for a mostly private area. Private access limits the hunting. It sure would spread out the pressure in the Snowies, Sierra Madres and area 6.

Would only work for a year or two while everyone figured out just how much private is in that unit. I wouldn't want to be that warden during the first year of a general free for all.

Sure would like to hear that area going general!

Area 7 was general for a few years a long time ago. I don't think the landowners liked it and I have heard it won't be done again due to hunter density, which G&F feel is maxed out now.

We are going through Sybille Canyon this morning. Not all the way to Tunnel rd but to CR 12. I'll let you know how it looks from the highway.
Snowshoes won't be a bad idea to have in the vehicle.

Snowing in the canyon, might get 2-3 inches looks like tonight then clear out. No wind , which is amazing.
Snow cover on the ground is not deep so snow shoes may not be necessary, but good insurance. Some big drifts in draws so roads should have drifts too.
Saw some tracks where animals moved along 34 , no animal sightings other than hundreds of wintering pronghorn out on the plains.
We have to go back up to do some plumbing work tomorrow and then will be up trapping across the highway from 7 next 2 weeks. Certainly give an update of we see anything interesting.

Snowing in the canyon, might get 2-3 inches looks like tonight then clear out. No wind , which is amazing.
Snow cover on the ground is not deep so snow shoes may not be necessary, but good insurance. Some big drifts in draws so roads should have drifts too.
Saw some tracks where animals moved along 34 , no animal sightings other than hundreds of wintering pronghorn out on the plains.
We have to go back up to do some plumbing work tomorrow and then will be up trapping across the highway from 7 next 2 weeks. Certainly give an update of we see anything interesting.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

After three days we have been met with snow, whiteout conditions, and wind that could blow you to Texas. Access has been a challenge. One flat tire, stuck in one snowdrift, and the wind almost ripped the door off my truck. No elk spotted yet. The search continues for two more days. Talked to two seperate groups of locals and they stated they haven't seen any elk in 2 months in the area off of tunnel road.

Yep, it's a tough year up there for cow elk.
We were up checking traps, 34 can be sketchy but the plow drivers have been doing a good job. Wind sucks right now and this weekend is forecast ti be windy as well.
Have you talked with the Robbins for access or if cows are on them?
Maybe wind will blow open some areas for you.

Yep, it's a tough year up there for cow elk.
We were up checking traps, 34 can be sketchy but the plow drivers have been doing a good job. Wind sucks right now and this weekend is forecast ti be windy as well.
Have you talked with the Robbins for access or if cows are on them?
Maybe wind will blow open some areas for you.

Some of the most sketchy driving of my life happened the past 2 days on 34. Blowing snow is serious business. I learned a lot this trip and will be better prepared next year.

I'm not familiar with the Robbins. We are going to try to make it up to Mcfarlane tomorrow. We were in Laramie dealing with flat tires all day. Not a day I want to repeat.

Some of the most sketchy driving of my life happened the past 2 days on 34. Blowing snow is serious business. I learned a lot this trip and will be better prepared next year.

I'm not familiar with the Robbins. We are going to try to make it up to Mcfarlane tomorrow. We were in Laramie dealing with flat tires all day. Not a day I want to repeat.

I wouldn't waste my time at McFarlane, was up there last week and went past Toltec with trax and way up the Esterbrook road as well...not an elk track to be found. Glassed the hell out of that area and zippo. I would go no farther North than Pinto creek if it were me.

Had a high school buddy and his cousins hunt last week, spent 4 days prowling around, saw maybe 500-600 elk and got 3 killed, 2 from one herd. Got lucky on the first one, found a herd and a landowner stopped and gave us permission as they were just across the fence from BLM.

Probably 300 in this herd, buddies got 2 with 2 quick shots, 116 yards and 150 yards:

IMG954298.jpg

jpeg-imag.jpg

Day before in another area, 30 or so in this bunch, buddy shot one at 585 yards, one shot, no wind, wide open without a tree in sight:

IMG954268.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste my time at McFarlane, was up there last week and went past Toltec with trax and way up the Esterbrook road as well...not an elk track to be found. Glassed the hell out of that area and zippo. I would go no farther North than Pinto creek if it were me.

Had a high school buddy and his cousins hunt last week, spent 4 days prowling around, say maybe 500-600 elk and got 3 killed, 2 from one herd. Got lucky on the first one, found a herd and a landowner stopped and gave us permission as they were just across the fence from BLM.

Probably 300 in this herd, buddies got 2 with 2 quick shots, 116 yards and 150 yards:

IMG954298.jpg

jpeg-imag.jpg

Day before in another area, 30 or so in this bunch, buddy shot one at 585 yards, one shot, no wind, wide open without a tree in sight:

IMG954268.jpg

Ok. Thanks. Getting it done tomorrow or will retry next year.

Are wolves in the area of Pinto Creek? I saw two canine looking animals that looked too big for coyote and didn't resemble coyotes in my opinion. It was snowing and they took off running when they saw me so I didn't get a good look at them. One was blackish and the other was grayish.

Last edited:
Are wolves in the area of Pinto Creek? I saw two canine looking animals that looked too big for coyote and didn't resemble coyotes in my opinion. It was snowing and they took off running when they saw me so I didn't get a good look at them. One was blackish and the other was grayish.

Its possible.

Agree with Buzz. It is possible. I've seen the same while antelope hunting in the Shirley Basin and our rancher contact up there claims there are wolves in the area.

I have selfish reasons for helping my buddies with cow elk hunts...lions and wolves. Haven't seen a wolf yet, but I know at least one was killed in the area in 2018. Could have shot a lion a few years ago if it wouldn't have been a female with 2 mostly grown kittens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back