Wyoming Cow Elk Unit 7 weather and access

No elk unfortunately. Ran into two other groups of hunters and WY game and fish public outreach coordinator. They were all headed to Menter Knob as the drifts got plowed. We followed and hiked for 7 miles. No elk. It’s amazing how a drift can grow in 4hrs. Going in the drifts were small, coming out one drift blasted over the hood and covered the windshield. Good thing I had chains on or I might still be out there. Had the time of my life and plan to do it again next year. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice.

Last edited:
Agree with Buzz. It is possible. I've seen the same while antelope hunting in the Shirley Basin and our rancher contact up there claims there are wolves in the area.

I’m pretty sure they were wolves. I’ve seen a lot of coyotes and these were way bigger and didn’t run like a coyote. Wish it wasn’t snowing so I could have got some pictures

You could have shot them, predator zone.
Has been a confirmed kill up that way and sightings near Morton Pass too.

This was December 29th in area 7. We didn't see any elk at the higher elevations near Mule Creek and Pinto Rocks. Felt like we were hunting polar bear in the arctic circle. Super windy. But we got lucky and had a herd walk to our truck down low near Wheatland. It can definitely be hit or miss this time of year. Good luck.

Attachments

• 15060.jpg
    15060.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 20181229_105458.jpg
    20181229_105458.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
So you don't need a tag in the predator zone?

That's correct! A license is only needed in the trophy zone units, although G&F does require you to call them if you kill one in the predator zone so they can keep track of where the critters are spreading.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back