Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Cow Elk Unit 7 weather and access

cgarner

A coworker and I are headed to Unit 7 for cow elk the week of January 20. Another buddy of mine hunted the unit in mid-December and found deep snow on the roads with limited access to public lands. They got stuck 7 times. Any insight or advice on weather conditions and access with road conditions would be appeciated. I've never hunted this Unit but I did drive through it after my antelope hunt and found a couple spots to hunt, but I'm concerned about not being able to access them.

Snow in Sybille Canyon is causing drifting and access issues. Have a shovel and back up plans for getting unstuck. Noticed folks headed into the Johnson Creek res. area to look around. They are herded up somewhere but not along Highway 34.
A little warmer the next several days may help but drifts will still be around. Wind has been brutal in Sybille Canyon . WYDOT has some webcams along Bosler Junction and Highway 34. They show the snow cover and road conditions.
Watch for wolves, predator zone, shoot on sight.
Haven't seen many tracks lately crossing the highway. Might get a hold of Martin Hicks , biologist and see what he says. They have been doing some flying, [email protected]

Yep, it can be a rough drive through Sybille Canyon this time of year, but you can always stop for a cold one at the Shamrock Saloon!

Snow machines or a tracked ATV...or you're going to be limited.

Might call the county and see which roads they've plowed, they normally plow out a few.

Plenty of elk off 34 on private. You can occasionally catch them on public. Laramie side of the hill is pretty much snowed the hell in. You won’t get to Mule Creek or Mcfarlene. Tunnel road from 34 is good to go but any side roads are getting deep. I spent two weekends winching people out. Had to winch myself out once. Have a serious plan for getting unstuck.
Only saw bulls on the Williams Habitat.
Good luck. Have fun and stay safe.

As of last week, not so much snow up north - windy as hell though. Did not see any elk on the Duncan or Hermit Rock HMAs. Saw a couple herds on private, but no access to them.

Bummer, Duncan and Hermit Rock HMA's were our back up plan if we couldn't access areas to the south.

Warmer weather will have more hunters out and may get them moving around.
Yep they can move quite a bit over a days time.
We'll be around the Sybille Canyon area next couple of weeks trapping, let you know if we see any sign on your side.
Wheatland side may have better access due to snow.

Doesn't mean much...those elk are here today, gone tomorrow...a lot can change in a day or two.

ok. we still have a couple weeks before we plan to be there so things still have time to change a lot.

I think about normal.

Wont have to worry about hunting 7 in January next year...last year is what I'm hearing.

I think about normal.

Wont have to worry about hunting 7 in January next year...last year is what I'm hearing.
Dang it. I was strongly considering getting back to 7 for a cow hunt. May have to just go to AZ for something instead...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back