Lee Reloading Kit?

WalkingBird

Morning Everyone,
So I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard S2 .257 Wby Mag on clearance at Sportsmans. Now I know Weatherby ammo is pretty expensive, with some "cheaper" offerings of the Norma Spitzers going for $40/box at my local ammo options. I'd like to start reloading as I seem to have an affinity for the more hard to find cartridges (nothing real off the wall), as between my gf and I, we have 2 7mm-08s (hers is a Savage 11 compact southpaw, mines a Winchester 70 Featherweight Classic), a .204 (Savage 11) and now this .257. The only common loadings I have are my .357 carbine and a built 5.56 AR.

I'm looking at the Lee 50th Anniversary kit for a beginners kit, and was wondering what everyone thought of it? I've got a couple buddies that keep saying go with the RCBS or Hornady options, but I'd like to open it up to the forum for what everyone thinks is a good kit. Or if there are other options out there that should be considered.

I'm all for Buy Once Cry Once, but I still have to pay the rent at the end of the month.

Thanks in advance!

There are a few threads discussing the Lee Anniversay kit. I started with that kit and tossed pretty much everything after a couple years of use while others really liked them. Personally, if I were to buy the Lee kit I would also buy a new scale...again I hated it and others discuss liking it though it seems more people hate it and bought a higher quality balance beam or electronic scale. You'll likely also end up replacing the case debur/chamfer tool for something much better. For the guy that doesn't shoot a ton, the Lee system should work just fine but someone a bit more serious would probably profit from the next level higher.

I do however like the Lee Reloading Dies.

RCBS Rock Chucker would be my choice. You can buy the kit or look for used equipment. Sounds like you have some friends with reloading experience. Buy some dies, powder, primers, and bullets and see if they can walk you through the reloading process with their equipment. If you like what they are using, purchase the same gear.

I have a Lee press that I bought as a "starter" press about 16 years ago in the kit you are looking at. Still using it today, as I never found a need to upgrade.

However, I did replace the scale with an RCBS and I bought an RCBS powder trickler.

I started with the Lee Anniversary kit. I have since replaced everything but the press. The press seems to work well and so far I haven't found a reason yet to get rid of it.

All the accessories in the kit, you could say, they work. But you wouldn't say much about them beyond that.

After a bunch of reading I ended up deciding the mid-range best path was to buy each item separately - get better quality where I wanted and cheaper where I didn’t care as much. I used this article (and an advanced version link from within it) to make many of my choices. https://www.chuckhawks.com/reloading_essentials.html I am very happy with my set up. A friend who bought a box set about the same time seems to keep coming up with excuses to come over and reload at my place so I guess I made the right call. I also recommend using the velocity load development approach laid out by 6.5 guys, and start with heat stable Extreme Powders by Hodgon. YMMV.

I think I actually wrote up a full review of mine on here somewhere. I've had it for about a year and still like it. I'll see if I can dredge up a link for you on here somewhere.

Found it: https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...ock-Challenger-Kit-Review&highlight=reloading

I'll also add that this is a great place to ask questions about stuff. The guys on here are knowledgeable and realistic (even though they might have "Vikings" in their screen name). Everyone that posted above I think has helped me out with answers somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
RCBS Rock Chucker would be my choice. You can buy the kit or look for used equipment. Sounds like you have some friends with reloading experience. Buy some dies, powder, primers, and bullets and see if they can walk you through the reloading process with their equipment. If you like what they are using, purchase the same gear.

Yep. This.

I started with the Lee Anniversary kit. I have since replaced everything but the press. The press seems to work well and so far I haven't found a reason yet to get rid of it.

All the accessories in the kit, you could say, they work. But you wouldn't say much about them beyond that.

Same experience here. Press is good. Everything else I upgraded within a year.

I bought the Lee Classic 4 hole turret kit.
It was my first press. It is still my go to press.
Much like yourself, others told me RCBS, but like you said, rent is due every month.
I shoot/load about 900 rounds of 7mm-08AI, (300) 7mm Rem Mag, (300) 257 Roberts( formed from 7mmX57 Mauser casings), (400) 284 Win, so far about 200 of the 280 Rem in one year.
Plus the odd 243, 30-06, 308, 270.
Add in all the 45ACP, 9mm, 38 Spcl, 357 mag.

Oh, and i forgot, 200 rounds a year for my 250 Savage.

So, to say if you don't shoot/load a lot their ok, hasn't used one.
I still use the Lee scale, it's functional, if not fancy.
I did upgrade the camfer/deburr tool.

I recently bought the Hornady Classic Kit. Just getting back into handloading after 20+ years of not doing it. I love the press! The Lock and Load system is a dream. My Grandfather had the RCBS Rock Chucker and that is what I learned on years ago. Can't go wrong with the RCBS either (just get the lock and load adapter for it). The Hornady kit is just like the others in that it has some cheap components that I'm sure I will upgrade over time. However, the press and the powder measure are excellent in my opinion. I have really enjoyed getting back into the hobby after a long absence.

I own many different presses of different brands.
The Lee 4-hole turret press is by far the best press for ease of use, speed in switching dies, and affordability.
With most calibers a two die set is all you use and that let's you put two calibers in each turret. The turrets are affordable, so having multiple turrets ready to go on a shelf let's you load many different cartridges very quickly and easily. Once you get the die set the way you want it, you're done adjusting and it allows 100% repeatable results from load session to session.
Yes turrets have movement when you pull the arm , but that movement is exactly the same if the arm is pulled down fully (as it should always be), every time. It loads very accurate ammo with minimal effort.
They can be had used many times, and very cheaply. But even new ones won't break the bank.
Don't care for the Lee scale though. But I love the Lee prime tool and brass trimmer too.
A kit is a great way to get started, but for some one that has an experienced guide, buying peice by peice on the internet will save money and eliminate unwanted tools.

It is very good for what is intended as (a beginner's kit). I bought it as my first setup and haven't found a need to change yet. Is it ideal? No. Does it work? All day! By the way, the Lee Collet dies are the berries!

I started with the Lee Aniversary kit as well. That was maybe 15 years ago. Only thing I have left is the powder funnel.

Go with RCBS or Hornady items. That way you wont be replacing them later.

And get a digital scale first thing. You wont be sorry.

One more thing on the digital scale...if you plan on upgrading to an automatic powder dispenser, get a scale that is compatable (RCBS Chargemaster for example), that way you only have to buy the dispenser later

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back