Gila & Sheep

Tomahawk

Gila & Sheep

No, I didn’t draw a tag for a Bighorn in the Gila, but something almost as rare. I cashed in a lifetime of sub-par luck this spring and somehow drew a late archery elk tag for the Gila and a Bighorn tag in Montana!

Summer weekends were spent hiking and glassing for sheep, and weeknights were filled with online scouting and marking up maps of SW New Mexico. Here’s a few pics of the best ram I could turn up in this unit. I’m sure there’s a bigger one out there, but after many weekends of long, hot days behind the glass I never found him:

Summer Rams.jpg

Summer Ram.jpg

Gila:

The trip to New Mexico along the length of the Rockies was almost as exciting as the hunt itself. I had always wanted to see the iconic hunting meccas of the Medicine Bow & Rout National Forests, the Grand Mesa, thousands of antelope in the sage of SW Wyoming and, arguably, the most famous of them all, Jerry’s Donuts in Rawlins.

Jerry's Donuts.jpg

My buddy and I pulled into a Gila National Forest campsite in our elk unit, late at night, a couple days before the opener. I hopped out of the truck, and before I could even turn on my headlamp, a bull screamed at us from the edge of the campground. Soon two others were bugling back, and we were right in the middle of it all! With a brilliant Milky Way overhead, constant bugles and a chorus of coyotes, it was a pretty great night to sit out late and soak it all in.

We spent the next 10 days chasing bulls. I badly wanted to kill one in the postcard-worthy open Ponderosa stands:

Ponderosas.jpg

But I had to re-learn that the elk really don’t care where I want them to be, even in the premium units. After spending too many days in the Ponderosas, it was clear the elk were mostly hanging out in the thicker juniper flats:

Juniper Flats.jpg

We saw plenty of elk and heard enough bugles that they almost lost their novelty. We both caught a few bad breaks, and I invented a couple new and evermore creative ways to screw up on 320ish bulls. I got to pass on a few small bulls like this one in a wallow:

Wallow Bull.jpg

Most of the elk weren’t quite as eager to rush to a call as we’d hoped, except one lonely 6 point that we inadvertently called into our camp by slamming a pickup door and clearing branches. And catching up to the ever-moving herds in the juniper was not working much better. In hindsight, I didn’t adapt my tactics fast enough, and by the time I figured out that sitting wallows and water was truly effective, the season was ending. No elk for me.

Sheep:

Back in Montana it was time for more sheep. Found these just outside the unit boundary:

Out of Bounds.jpg

And these inside my unit, but no shooters here:

Small Rams.jpg

Any ideas what caused the goiter on this young ram's face?

Goiter Face Ram.jpg

After 3 weekends of exploring new sheep country, I decided I was done looking and was ready to cash out on the ram I had found earlier in the summer. I knew right where he’d been living, but before I arrived, he’d left, as they transitioned towards rutting/winter range. I looked for two days but couldn’t find him. Now I was back to square one and spent the next week trying to figure out where he would have gone. I put together an ambitious list of possible spots to check, and on day 13 of my hunt, I glassed up his band of rams in the first place I checked, just over 5 miles from their summer range. I was pretty excited when he finally lifted his head allowing me a good view of his familiar, slightly broomed horns with distinctive chip.

Rams.jpg

My wife was along for the day taking photos, and we spent most of it crawling through nearly invisible cactus to close the distance. I was being pretty picky about the shot I’d take; it needed to be close and broadside. Eventually, that’s exactly what I got:

At the shot.jpg

The .284HT and Accubond did their jobs as expected, and I had my ram!

7mm08.jpg

Ram 1.jpg

Ram 2.jpg

Ram 3.JPG

Dang, I'm glad you signed up and told such a cool story. Congrats on a great season and thanks for telling the story here.

Hell of a first post. Welcome and congratulations!

Great first post! Looks like you had a thrilling hunting season. Thanks for sharing with us and congratulations on the ram.

Wow, way to ring in 2019 with a great story. Awesome season right there. Congrats

Two great tags for sure! Congrats on a great ram and thank you for sharing your hunts with the HT crew.

Way to kick down the door with your first post. congrats and thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks guys! I've been following along on HT for quite a while now and figured I finally had something to contribute.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back