Drones

Likewise, I am not concerned about someone watching me scratching my bumm, but privacy is an expectation, if not a real right. The noise, sight, and intrusion pollution all bother me.

Legally there is no expectation of privacy in public spaces. I think public lands fit that bill. Legal or not it seems like common courtesy to not bother someone with your giant electric bug on their day off.

As an avid user of my DJI drone, I am increasing my abilities with photo / video while hunting, fishing, cross country skiing, etc within the legal boundaries. One holds absolutely no right to privacy while in public - hopefully respect is the presiding factor though as we all know - that is not a drone issue - that is a generational decay of parenting. Myself, if I see anyone about, the drone is stored. I hold no interest in reducing the enjoyment factor for anyone.

Make no mistake about this - it is not the device, horse, mtn bicycle, atv... it is a respect issue.

Legally there is no expectation of privacy in public spaces.
Although there likely is no right to privacy, I do expect it out of common courtesy and respect for others. I still hold on to the hope that is common and it's a minority who infringe with disrespect.

As far as a drone to "increase abilities" while recreating, I highly doubt it. Increase hunting abilities with a drone??? Is that even legal while hunting? Perhaps a Go-Pro camera will be the appropriate tool.

Although there likely is no right to privacy, I do expect it out of common courtesy and respect for others. I still hold on to the hope that is common and it's a minority who infringe with disrespect.

As far as a drone to "increase abilities" while recreating, I highly doubt it. Increase hunting abilities with a drone??? Is that even legal while hunting? Perhaps a Go-Pro camera will be the appropriate tool.

You've misread or I've mis-spoken. I've re-read my post and my comment is the increased abilities with photo / video... Use while involved in the various activities (etc). Skill of the use of follow mode, panoramic, etc. Example:

[video=youtube_share;fecHZTTgl6I]https://youtu.be/fecHZTTgl6I[/video]

Do not confuse an item as being the issue. As I clearly shared... The generational deterioration of parenting is the problem - less and less respect.
I've taken every assurance to remain completely legal. I do not, nor ever will, use my drone for any advantage or disturbance of wildlife. I've taken every precaution to communicate with FWP on my intended uses and have been assured I am legally permitted - within MT law.

Last edited:
I think game cameras are different than drones. Cameras are just giving you a general idea of animals that were in the area. Drones could be used for "real time" hunting. In the sense that hunter parks on mountain road and then flies it down the valley to look for animals laying hidden in rock outcrop or behind big shrub. If animal is seen, then a stalk is put on. Would be no different than flying over with a plane and then immediately hunting.
There has been a few cases of drones being shot down over private residences. Courts have sided with homeowner and not drone owner. On public land, I think you would have use your hunter harassment laws.

FWIW I see a ton of guys that are flying drones illegally without a proper SuaS (small unmanned aerial systems) pilot license. If you are flying for your own enjoyment then you don’t need a license, but if you are selling any footage or profited at all from your drone then you need to obtain a license from the FAA. I would guess that the majority of all drone footage that you see on hunting shows are taken illegally from an unlicensed pilot. Guys need to start paying attention because the FAA is starting to crack down on this kind of unlicensed drone operation.

I use a drone only for work as a land surveyor for aerial photogrammetry purposes and would never use one for hunting or scouting purposes.

FWIW I see a ton of guys that are flying drones illegally without a proper SuaS (small unmanned aerial systems) pilot license. If you are flying for your own enjoyment then you don’t need a license, but if you are selling any footage or profited at all from your drone then you need to obtain a license from the FAA. I would guess that the majority of all drone footage that you see on hunting shows are taken illegally from an unlicensed pilot. Guys need to start paying attention because the FAA is starting to crack down on this kind of unlicensed drone operation.

You are correct. I sent one of our guys to the class to get certified, paid for the test and certification, and paid to register our drone with the FAA. Much like public land film permits on which we spend $10K+ per year, most of the folks look at me and laugh.

For the hobbyist, it's $5.00 for 3 years.
Very simple process. All online.
Place the # on the drone, follow the regulations, advise if in airspace for the vast majority of areas... Note: advise. Not seek permission. FAA requires all locations to have #'s available to contact. Some areas require permission and hold authority to deny. (Regional airports and larger)

I use Airmap: https://www.airmap.com/airmap-for-drones/
They have a fantastic app as well.
For FAA registration: https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

You are correct. I sent one of our guys to the class to get certified, paid for the test and certification, and paid to register our drone with the FAA. Much like public land film permits on which we spend $10K+ per year, most of the folks look at me and laugh.

That's good to hear that you've gone through and got someone on your crew FAA licensed.

I've talked to a few guys in the industry and none have taken the extra step and done that. It's really not that difficult, just takes time is all....and money of course.

Drones in Az.
My weapon would accidentally discharge over and over agian(Even A Bow)
Nighty Night Termite!:cool:

They are supposedly illegal to use hunting & such here in NM, but it's NM so...
Pretty sure every outfitter & guide has them here. Pretty sure most LEO's do too.
They have been a problem here & in CA in NF lands particularly during a fire with air attacks going on.
Open season on my place for them........

I've heard Airmap is a great app but never used it.

I use B4Ufly for airspace information: https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/b4ufly/

And Pix4D mapper for mapping and guidance: https://www.pix4d.com/product/pix4dcapture

Thanks for the info. Always a PITA to find apps that are most frequently updated and operate smoothly. Airmaps has been top notch - thus far.

That Pix4D looks really nice for setting pre-programmed flights! That would be a very clean app for grabbing video for my fish, hunt (within the legal abilities in MT), kayaking, etc activities.
Free - as in free, free? or free for a couple basic flight pre programs and purchase for the various patterns / self defined programs routes? Would be worth a minimal fee for an app that encompassed a slew of flight patterns?

I use the Litchi app to create flight plans. There's a fellow out of Missoula who has created some tutorials on YouTube that are excellent. Another one that looks good is DroneDeploy.

I have a DJI Mavic Platinum. The Litchi looks really nice and caters their programming towards the DJI line, it appears.

I crashed mine though with insurance, they've replaced it... waiting for it to be shipped back - few days and I'll be back in the air. Have you or anyone tried the goggles? The goal of the pre-programming flight routes sounds really nice for the intent to focus attention towards video recording. Looking forward to tinkering with this. I'll have to look into both further.

It's hard to quantify ethics or morality in regulations in game laws at times, geographic traditional use practices are a prime example with bear baiting, dogs for deer, etc. But real time data through images changes the game substantially. Out of hunting seasons, don't have a huge problem with drones. It's a tool that can have it's place, if used with some common sense and courtesy. But we all know how rare courtesy and common sense are.

Run and own 20 trail cameras, and have absolutely no problems with trail cameras, but it's more of a closet wildlife photography problem I'm afflicted with. And not even an avid whitetail hunter. A trail camera that can send pics to a phone or computer via a signal of any sort in real time, is way outside of my ethical comfort zone for hunting. For a lot of people that run and use trail cameras, it becomes an addictive hobby, that is done 12 months out of the year and hunting takes a back seat to just seeing what is on the landscape. I run mine 24/7/365 and get more of a kick out of seeing does with fresh dropped fawns in the spring and how they avoid wolves and other predators like bears and coyotes than anything else. One year we elected not to deer hunt our hunting property at all for deer, after the deer numbers crashed after 2 bad winters and a high number of wolves. Most of that decision was based off data acquired from trail cameras. That year we had one doe and fawn on camera all year and she had to constantly avoid a relentless pack of wolves. We had one buck and one doe and fawn throughout most of the year and that was primarily it for deer. There's a lot of good that can come from any tool technology develops, but it can and does just as easily go the other way. It was fascinating to monitor the few deer and their movements that year the numbers tanked, in terrain that is heavily wooded, thick and flat as a pancake that is unglassable. With no ability to glass or see wildlife like in western habitats, the hunters in the eastern part of the country are at a major visual disadvantage because of cover and terrain. A trail camera is a great tool, not much different in some ways to binoculars and spotting scopes to hunting out west. Real time images though, is way out of line in an actual hunting scenario and drastically different imo. Have talked to a friend who is on this site about this stuff and neither one of us have or own a trail camera with the ability to send images because of the ethics dilemma. That might change because that is where the technology is headed and eventually it could be an option on all trail cameras whether you want it or not.

A drone in comparison to a trail camera is mobile, from an aerial perspective. Not much different than being able to use a plane or helicopter as a scouting tool, but easier to acquire and use in a manner that is not really in the best interest of ethics and fair chase.

It is illegal in Oregon to use a drone to spot game and I wouldn't want to do it anyway. But I must admit that it would be a handy tool for hunting Roosevelt elk around here. Not too many places to sit on a high point and glass. you pretty much just have to crawl around in the brush and look for them. Thirty some years ago me and my hunting buddy were lazing around on a hot September bow hunt when we noticed a flock of ravens. Got us to thinking that one could catch a raven chick raise it up and train it to spot elk. It would fly around and when it spotted the elk it would circle and make a bunch of noise right over the herd then we could sneak in and shoot one. It would be legal as long as you had a permit to keep the bird and it wouldn't spook the elk. But nether one of us knew how to train a bird and of course you would have that nasty noisy bird around all the time. so we dropped the idea.

Back